iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What Dummy did today.

Started by Swede, April 22, 2005, 04:41:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swede

Loded a 19" 12´pine log but didn´t lift up the poles first.  :D

The customer took his tractor out and pulled the log back to the right side of the saw mill.

Swede.
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

Tom

That is a helpless feeling to watch the log roll off of the back of the mill, isn't it?   You know what is going to happen but you also know that there is nothing you can do fast enough to stop it.  :D

Why is it that we always do these things in front of a customer while we are trying to look experienced? :D

Jeff

I bet that dont happen often with a manual mill. :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ed_K

Just once, and it was a bigun  ;D.
Ed K

wiam

Dan_Shade

I'm sure I'll eventually do it with my manual mill.  I almost did it the last time I was sawing! :)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Cedarman

Rolling a log over the mill is like hitting a dog with the blade.  You get complacent or in a hurry, but once you do it, it will be a long time before it happens again.

I find that with my sawyers.  It doesn't take them too long to ruin a blade on the dog, but most time they never hit it again.

It leaves an indelible memory mark.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Kirk_Allen

Dont feel bad Sweed, I did it yesterday with an Ash log.  Second time in two years. Dogs were up but this log had a nasty figure and a whopper of a branch sticking out. I was going to cut off the branch first but when I loaded it would hang up and not turn.  Once I finally got it where I wanted, it had just enough height and momentum to go right over the back dog and slide sideways off the mill.   Fortunatly, Furby wasnt there with a camera yet and the but of the log was still on the bunks.  Two of us STRUGGLED and lifted that sucker back on the mill. 

Part_Timer

The BIG advantage of the small manual mill (LT15)  Just roll it back on. 

But I have done it in front of a customer as well. YAh just gota smile and go on. 
I just told him we didn't want to cut that one yet and needed to get the others done first and do that one last.  Good thing he had a sence of humor.  We had a good laugh and went on.  Now he is one of my best customers.     :D 
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

dail_h

It happens on manuel mills too. Yesterday I was turning a big SYP (sorry yard pine) when the turning hook came loose----ole log rolled right backwards off the mill, between mill an log deck. Walked around and took a good look at it ,came in the house got a glass of tea,went back and sat down on the end of the mill to give it a chance to right itself. After an approiate amount of time ,and nothing happening,I dismanteled part of the log deck,got "Spud", and a pair of tongs ,put that sucker back on the mill and sawed it anthow ;D
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Brucer

I haven't rolled one across the mill and off the other side -- yet  ;).

Last year I was sawing a big, ugly D. Fir on Louis' hydraulic mill. Finished my first face and was reaching for the lever to lower the toeboard when the timber framers next door knocked over a pile of timbers with their new forklift. Heck of a crash, but no one hurt. When I looked back at my log, I discovered I had lowered the side stops instead of the toeboard. They had caught on the log and rolled it onto the track. Half a second more and I'd have had it right off the mill. Now that would have been embarassing to explain  :-[
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Swede

I´m happy to hear that the world is full of dummies.......... :D ;)

.......or let´s call it experienced sawyers. ??? ::) YES! 8)

Finished that job Saturday evening, hooked Amerika-Sågen behind the Passat and pulled it out of sawdust and fierwood. There was just space for a hair both sides. There is days I wish I had a TK 2400, a Silverado and a driving licence for it but mostly I´m happy with my small stuff.
Told the customer he´s "a very good helper around a sawmill to just be a teacher"  :D (he also has a wonderfull humor) and left the nice family. Headed the next customer a mile or two away and arrived there at 1/2 past 6. Parked the sawmill at his yard. He told me "sorry, but the trees, felled by the storm, is not cut off yet". Let´s do it, I said. Hey, he said, we can´t do it now, can we?  :o Why can´t we, i said.

There was two aspen Ø27" laying close together. They were growing from the same root.  A dangerous job! Wen I cut the first off the other wipped up in the air and the root fell down. Cut the second tree down and stoped  the Jonse-red.
He said: Doing that job my self I would have fasten 20 chain saws in them trees.  We turned the logs down and checked the place so playing children can´t be hurt.  Told him to paint the ends SAP and find a log truck (every log truck here has big cranes) a tractor isn´t much help on these big logs. Then call me when the logs been hauled to his yard. Very intresting to see what we´ll find in them logs and how to saw them.
If I hadn´t spent the days after the storm together with some experienced tree huggers I couldn´t take them aspens down without loosing my chain saw (and 19 moore) and perhaps get hurt.
Today I´m at the office. Need to make some papers and rest my body. I´m down at 80 Kg. now. Love this life out doors and meet a lot of nice people every day.

Dummy left the customer Saturday evening at 1/2 past 8 with just one problem. Happy my girl friend hasn´t mooved in yet................ ::) ;D

Swede.
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)

Fla._Deadheader

Hey Swede, really enjoyed all them pics. ::) ::) ::) ;D ;D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

UNCLEBUCK

Hey Swede how much is 80kg ? You sayin you only weigh that much ?  ???
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Engineer

Buck,

Some of these guys is LIGHTWEIGHTS - not like us...   :D

Me, I go 20 and a half stone.   ::)

Swede

UNCLEBUCK; 
1 Kg=2,2046 lbs.

10 years ago I was up at 104 Kg. Couldn´t get down to 90 before I begain sawing. Now I´m loosing weigt without starving.  ;D

Harold; What DanG pics are You talking about? :D Have some bills to pay first, then buy utility to take proper care of my blades. THEN I´ll buy a new camera.

Swede.

Tom

I never could get those scales to read what they were supposed to.  So,  I got rid of the scales.

Cedarman

Tom, try moving the little thingy at the bottom of the scales.  I can weigh what I want to. :D :D :D
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Tom

I think I need to move more than that little thingy!   When I step on the fool thing, it grunts and the needle spins around three times.   Then I hear a lot of laughing from somewhere.  :-\   I can sure make one of those things work. 

It's a lot better for my self-esteem if I keep pictureing myself as I do in my mind's eye. :D :D

maple flats

Dumping a log off the back of the mill sounds like something where sawyers are in only two catagories, those who have and those who will, so far (fingers crossed) I am a have not, hopefully conversion to a have is a long way off!!  8) 8)
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Minnesota_boy

Maple Flats,
Want me to come teach you how?  I'm experienced.  I've done it 3 times now and even know how to get the log back on the mill alone with no power equipment and without straining much.

Maybe I could set up a short course on dumping and reloading logs from the wrong side of the mill.  :D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

isawlogs

You can put me down for twice ...   ::)  One time I was lucky enough to have the skidder beside the mill ...  ;D  The other I put the log back on using the loader on the mill , using down pressure ... after tying the support  legs to the frame and then chaining the log to the loader ....  It worked well .. but I'm sure that the loader was never designed by WoodMizer  to work like this ...  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

asy

Quote from: Cedarman on April 25, 2005, 05:45:40 PM
Tom, try moving the little thingy at the bottom of the scales.  I can weigh what I want to. :D :D :D

I know I am skinny, coz the scales tell me I don't weigh very much at all.

(Um, someone, tell me, does the first time round clocking the scales count?)

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

GF

Have to put me on the list as having done it once (so far).  ;D

Had a log on there went to adjust logs stops and went the wrong way and the log rolled off the back, luckily it was only about an 18" log.

Furby

Haven't lost one over the other side yet, but dropped a short between the bunks and it slid under the axel. :-[
Just too DanG heavy to lift (even though I tried many times  ::) ), and would get hung under the frame if I tried to pivot it out.
Had to get the hoe over it and pick it straight up.

Thank You Sponsors!