iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What did I get myself into! (TO THE BUTCHER SHOP!)

Started by Mrs._Stump_Jumper, April 22, 2005, 10:18:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pigman

Those pigs look like they are doing good. I can see one problem with them. They are becoming pets and pets are not good to eat. ;) ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Don_Papenburg

Are they going to be presant for the roast? smiley_chef_hat smiley_chef_hat
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Norm

Looks like they are doing well, most I've had are pretty friendly but once they get over 200 they don't seem to know their own strength. At that time I put them in the freezer for safe keeping. ;D

Oh by the way spare ribs barbqued are good therapy too. ;)

Mrs._Stump_Jumper

Here is the update on the Pigs.

We took them to the butcher shop 2 weeks ago and now they are in the freezers and tasting goooood.  The biggest one weighed 290#, next was 270# and then 255#.

Here is a pic when we loaded them into the trailer to take them to the butcher shop.

It took a lot of coaxing to get them into the trailer.  They new where the opening was that the electric fence went through and were afraid that they would get zapped.  With some fresh tomatoes and corn stalks we were finally able to get all three loaded it took about 2 days.

Then when we got to the butcher shop they didn't want to get out of the trailer.  It took about 1/2 hour to unload the critters. >:( :(  Jeff almost wasn't gonna let me ride home in the front of the truck.  It was that bad unloading them. ;)
Delcy - Morley, MI
'07 F350 Dually, Diesel, Flatbed
3 Lovely Children Jonathon, Monica, and (Jeff)
2 Brittany Spaniels:  Buddy and Pumpkin Pie

Fla._Deadheader

Next time, put a peach basket over their head, and BACK them to where ya want them to go.  ;) ;) :) :)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Patty

So Delcy, was all the hard work worth it now that they are packed in little white freezer paper packettes? We always think the fresh good home raised meat is worth the trouble, but I know there are many that disagree. It is a lot of work, but you can be assured that your kids are eating healthy non-chmical ridden meat. For that reason alone I always felt the hard work was well worth the good meat.

Congratulations on a job well done!
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Stump Jumper

Mrs. Stump Jumper ended up using a 5 gallon bucket on two of them to get them out of the trailer.  Backing them up yes it does work a bucket over the head. ::)   The last one saw what was going on and said he was gonna have no part of that so we ended up using a cattle prod on him. :'( :'(

They got so comfy in the trailer that didn't want out.
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

Tom

Another trick to herd animals out of a trailer is to stand behind a sheet of plywood at the front of the trailer and walk toward the rear.  They can't see you so they don't get defensive.   The room just keeps getting smaller.  :D

Ahh-h-h  Fresh hams and pork chops.  ;D

Did you save the hocks and jowls for smoking, the feet for pickling and the head for ......Hogs head cheese?  Mmmmmm

Mrs._Stump_Jumper

Patty

The meat is a lot better then what you can get in the stores.  The Butcher shop and the guy we took our meet to to get it smoked said the meat looked very good.  

I cooked up some pork chops and they almost melted in your mouth the meat was that tender.

We took our meat to another place to get it smoked becuase Jeff can't have nitrites and he could smoke the meat using phospates instead.  

Next time I think I am gonna have stump-jumper unload the pigs from trailer instead me. ;)  I can hold the gate and watch instead of the other way around. ;D
Delcy - Morley, MI

Patty

Yes, there is no comparison in taste between purchased meat and home grown. We process our own instead of using the butcher, but that is only because the local butcher does a poor job, in my opinion.   Anything a family can do together in raising their own food, earning an income, and learning together is a good thing. Makes for a strong family bond, and well rounded children. You both should be proud that you raise your family in this way.   smiley_thumbsup
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Mrs._Stump_Jumper

Tom

I only saved the hocks to smoke.  I don't know about the rest. ::) ::) Never tried and never will.   Just doesn't  sound appetizing. smiley_mad_crazy

I had the hams and sides and hocks smoked and I also had some sweet itilian suasages made from some of the ground pork we tried some of these last night but not to fond of the guys recipe I can use them in a boiled dinner or something and they will be alright.  The rest of the ground pork I had made into breakfast sausage.  8)

There was no moving these guys with a piece of board they were toooooooo big and stubborn.

Patty

I used to work at the butcher shop where we took the pigs to so I new that they would do a good job.  We could have processed our own but finding the time right now is hard and the weather has been to warm.  Jeff's dad has a meat saw and a grinder.

Do you smoke your own meat?
Delcy - Morley, MI

Norm

Great job Delcy! I've been wanting to raise another porker for the freezer but have too darned busy also. I like dealing with them in the winter so the smell and flies aren't so bad. Did you folks use a commercial feed? They sure fattened up nice and fast, must've been the bonding with Jeff that did it.

Maybe this fall I'll get Patty an early Christmas present. She's been asking for a ring so I'll just have one put on the little porkers nose for her. ;D

Bro. Noble

Our local packing plants have guys that will come to your place to slaughter the animal,  then take it to the packing plant to process it.   It's a lot less hassle and usually better meat due to less stress on the animal.   We have butchered our own,  but there is no way most individuals can control the temperature that is important for aging beef.  It's also so much better if they can be frozen fast.

Cured jowels are just as good or better than bacon ;D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Mrs._Stump_Jumper

Norm

We used a commercial feed it was 16% protein we fed them this all the way through we never put them on a finisher just used the grower.  They put less fat on this way.
Delcy - Morley, MI

pigman

Fine job with growing the swine. 8)  The problem you had unloading was that you used a cattle prod instead of a hog prod. ;) I used plastic boards to sort my hogs but always had to use the electrical persuaders to load and unload. ;D  Hogs seem to always want to stay where they have been, even if they are there only a shot time. ::)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Don_Papenburg

I remember as a kid  listening to my uncle load pigs .  He would cuss at the top of his voice . my aunt took me inside so I would not hear that language. Only it was as clear inside as out.   He never used the same words in arow.
It was fun to hear him try to start thehot combine motor on hot day.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Thank You Sponsors!