iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What did I get myself into! (TO THE BUTCHER SHOP!)

Started by Mrs._Stump_Jumper, April 22, 2005, 10:18:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mrs._Stump_Jumper

We were out driving around the other night and went past the game reserve and there were some baby pigs (razorbacks or russians) that they are growing up for future hunts.  In return my daughter says can we get some baby pigs.  Well next morning stump jumper says lets find some pigs I'm thinkin OK but we don't have a fence up so we have to fence in an area and get a fencer they have to sleep in the back of his truck for a couple of nights.  We get the electric fence up and they get out.  We had to buy cattle fence to go around the outside of the electric fence and now they are stayin in.

Here they are.

ain't they cute :)

I came home yesterday after getting groceries and stump jumper was sittin in the pen with them in a lounge chair now that was site. :D :D :D
Delcy - Morley, MI
'07 F350 Dually, Diesel, Flatbed
3 Lovely Children Jonathon, Monica, and (Jeff)
2 Brittany Spaniels:  Buddy and Pumpkin Pie

Norm

Piggersssss! :)  8)

Patty never fails to laugh at my exclamations every time I see em at a barnyard.  ::) :D

So is one of em distined for a visit to Jeff's place in August Delcy? ;D

Stump Jumper

i'm not sure they  would be ready for the roast day.   should have started a month ago eh? not sure how much feed they are gonna eat  to bring them up to about 240 lbs. any pointers would be appreciated.
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

pigman

About 600lbs of a good corn- soybean feed will get "each" pig to 240lb.  If you feed them punpkins and other stuff I have no idea. :P
Good looking pigs. Look like Yorks to me.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

MULE_MAN

Now you have something to feed Grits to  ;D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 with Simple Setworks, debatker, 580 CASE backhoe

Norm

If you're going to eat them yourselves I might suggest you fatten them to around 280#'s. The modern breeds of piggers have had the fat breed out of them and I like to fatten ours up to around 300#'s. It costs more but they taste better. The neat thing about them is they are great garbage diposals, course the dog may be pithed about em getting all the scraps. :D

Any pics of SJ sitting out there conversing with them in the lounger?

Paschale

Quote from: Norm_F. on April 22, 2005, 01:58:34 PM
Any pics of SJ sitting out there conversing with them in the lounger?

I wanna see that too!   :D :D :D
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

asy

Yeah!

Quit holdin out on us!

Where's the photos of Stumpy and his mates?!

asy :D :D :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Stump Jumper

doctor paitient confidentially  ;D no pics of me in therapy  eh?   ::)
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

thecfarm

Go to your local store and ask for the scraps.The corner store asked us if we had pigs.Not this year.They was looking to get rid of the  scraps.Call the butcher shop early.Don't be like me.I waited until Aug and couldn't get in until Dec.We wanted Sept.We really like this butcher and so does alot of other people,so we stuck it out.A couple days before they went to market,I backed up the horse trailer to the pen and built the pen around the trailer.Kept them a little hungry the day before,put the trough in the trailer,in two pigs went to eat,up went the tail gate,2 pigs are all loaded. Nice and easy. If this is not possible make sure you are around them,touch and talk to them.I've heard horror stories of trying to laod pigs.Have fun.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Mrs._Stump_Jumper

I didn't get a chance yet to get SJ in the pen with the piggy's. :-X

I work at Subway so any old bread, veggies food that gets old I can bring home. :) :)

Delcy - Morley, MI

asy

Quote from: stump_jumper on April 22, 2005, 08:20:13 PM

The piggies are your therapists???

asy  ???
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Paschale

Quote from: stump_jumper on April 22, 2005, 08:20:13 PM

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I'd say piggies are one of my favorite forms of therapy.  As Emeril would say, "Pork fat RULES!" 

Therapy comes in many forms:  bacon, smoked pork chops, pork tenderloin, bacon, ribs, Canadian Bacon, Hickory smoked bacon, Pancetta, Prosciutto, BACON, pork steak, BACON, BACON, ham, smoked country ham, pork sausage, pork rinds, BACON and my favorite:

8) B A C O N 8)[/color][/size]
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Coon

Man oh man.  Just the word "PIGS" makes me think of back when I was working in the pig barns as a full time job.  They can be really interesting at times.  Have you ever tried loading 220 pigs on a semi-trailer???  I have on a daily basis.  NOT VERY MUCH FUN at all >:( >:( .    Just wait until one of em PEE's in your boot.   I am raising 5 weanlings right now for butchering later this fall.  It's a whole lot different than working in the barns with 10,000 of them everyday.   
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

UNCLEBUCK

I would feed a balanced ration of good feed with minerals added in to bring them up to weight fast as you can . I raised 20 sows through high school which would give me about 180 piglets at a time , sneaking into the barn was almost impossible ,one pig would send out a mayday call and the rest would follow . Little pigs are a hoot to watch ! Hog panels are a little easier to work with than them tall cattle panels but whatever works works, they are like little bulldozers when they get their nose under something . I restored a arctic panther and had to drive it through the barnyard to get it out from where I fixed it and I wasnt inside the barn 10 minutes and by the time I got back outside there was about 3 pigs standing where the seat was and about 20 pigs having a tug of war with what was left . I couldnt believe what I was seeing , I just stood there for awhile and when I got my nice arctic cat up to the house I never heard my dad and grandpa laugh so hard in their life.  Have fun
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Rockn H

Well I bought some ducks last month and now yall are talking pigs.  The wife says no. :D ::)  She's heard the stories and seen the pics of me with my pet pig when I was about 6 .  Couldn't keep that pig in.  Would meet us at the end of the drive everyday and chase us to the house like a dog.  When she was full grown I could ride her around.  When she was a 300lb sow, she went to my uncles....  I still hope I didn't eat her. ;D ;D ::)
A hog farmer I know gets all the left overs from the school cafeterias feeds that till he's ready to butcher and switches over to whole corn.

Texas Ranger

One of my darkest memories of living on a farm in Missouri was when my dad convinced me to lasso a hog, must have been in the 250 range cause she was headding to the butcher. 

Life's lesson Number One:  Never rope a critter that weights 3 times what  you do, and has four legs.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Kirk_Allen

NO PIGS!  I will buy one from my dads neighbor and butcher it each year but I dont want any around here ;D

When I was 7 years old I was at my grandparents place doing chores, which is now the home I live in 8)
I went out back to the hog lot and that big ole momma had 10 little pigglets.  They was so cute I just had to go play with them. 

The last thing I remember is the site of the sky just prior to hitting the ground on my back.  By the grace of God, it was my Granfather who reached over the fence and grabbed my shirt collar and yanked me out of the way of the charging sow.  What a scare that was. 

Next year we MAY get three angus calfs.  raise them through the summer and sell two in the fall and buther 1.  MAY being the key word. 

sawguy21

Kirk, I would have paid admission to see that.  :D :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

jjmk98k

Quote from: Texas Ranger on April 23, 2005, 02:38:38 PM
One of my darkest memories of living on a farm in Missouri was when my dad convinced me to lasso a hog, must have been in the 250 range cause she was headding to the butcher. 

Life's lesson Number One:  Never rope a critter that weights 3 times what  you do, and has four legs.

yep, I have the same memory with my cousin and my grandfather, I just remember how bad i stunk when we FINALLY got that pig in the bed of the pickup....... and I still can hear my pappy laughing and cursing at  the same time..

Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

pigman

Delcy,  You have had the pigs for a month now, time for a report on how they are doing. Hope every thing is going alright with them.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

UNCLEBUCK

Yeah tell us how many jailbreaks those little bulldozers have made!
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Mrs._Stump_Jumper

This is an update on How the piggys are doing.  Here are the pics.  They are weighing in from 144 to 157 pounds approx.

Jeff is getting his bi-weekly Therapy. ;) :) :D

Jeff and Monica getting their Therapy. ;)

Jonny thought he would try his skill at riding one of them.  (He didn't have all of his weight on him.)

Hope you enjoy the pics.  They pigs have become quite friendly.
Delcy - Morley, MI

Mrs._Stump_Jumper

The only time they got out was when we first brought them home.  They didn't see the electric fence and would go right through it.   They slept in the back of Jeff's truck for 2-3 days so we could figure out how to keep them in.So we bought some cattle fence and put around the outside of the electric fence and they haven't gotten out since. (Knock on wood.)
Delcy - Morley, MI

Tom

You're in between the dangerous stages.  The big'uns will hurt you and the little ones bring the big'uns.  ;D

I know. Click here.

Thank You Sponsors!