iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

emerald ash borer

Started by sprucebunny, July 23, 2004, 09:03:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprucebunny

Do these bugs eat trees besides ash ? There aren't any ash trees around here but I just caught another beautiful bug wandering around in the dirt. The trees all look eaten and half dead but i figure that's drought last year and gypsy catipillars this year.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Ed

sprucebunny

Thanks Ed.I put the bug in a film can. I'll compare it to the pictures tomorrow.

sprucebunny

False Alarm!!! It was the other pretty green bug.What a relief, I think. What does a "six spotted tiger beetle" eat?

Paschale

I was at the bookstore recently and one of the woodworking mags had on the front cover the headline:  "Kiss Your Ash Goodbye."  I suppose they were trying to be funny, but I think it's in poor taste.  They shouldn't be flip or joke about one of the greatest tragedies to befall our forests since the Dutch Elm's disease tragedy.  My dad lives less than a mile from a big sign posted on M-99 in Michigan declaring a "No Ash Transport" zone which sure makes this tragedy hit closer to home.  The only response appropriate towards the demise of ash trees is sorrow.
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Ron Scott

I agree. It's a real shame to be losing the ash trees.

They are surveying the entire state for its potential spread and have traps set out to help determine the bore's presence.

Emerald Ash Bore Trap. Located along State  Highway 55 west in Wexford County. We are currently preparing a selectively marked hardwood thinning in the area. 8/04.

~Ron

SwampDonkey

Information to take note of by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency

inspection.gc.ca
A number of links there concerning the emerald ash borer, including regulations, compensation, news releases, publications, current survey updates, 'infected places order' maps.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

dewwood

In answer to the original question, my future DIL was on one of the survey teams this summer scouting for the ash borer.  She said that in its native habitat the ash borer does not choose ash as its natural host, one theory put forth here is that since many ash trees were already weakened by the ash decline they chose them as a host in this area.  My question to that is "Does that mean they may possibly spread to other species when the ash are gone?"  Her answer was that is what they are very concerned about.
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

SwampDonkey

Known Hosts:

A variety of hardwood trees serve as hosts. Fraxinus americana (White ash), F. chinensis (Chinese ash),  F. japonica (Japanese ash),  F. lanuginosa (Chinese flowering ash), F. mandshurica (Manchurian ash),  F. nigra (Black ash), F. pennsylvanica (red or green ash), Juglans mandshurica (Manchurian walnut), Pterocarya rhoifolia (Japanese wingnut), Ulmus davidiana (Japanese elm), U. propinqua (Chinese cork bark elm).

Info from CFIA - here , plus its biology

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron Scott

Michigan Department of Agriculture reports that the Emerald Ash Bore (EAB) control effort has set out 2,561 traps. The traps are set with Saran Wrap and Tanglefoot (made in Grand Rapids). Trees are labeled to keep them from being disturbed. They will later be evaluated for the presence of EAB, then removed and destroyed.

~Ron

estiers

Just a notice to all with interest in Indiana, whether it be living there, or shipping ash logs/lumber there.  The Indiana quarantine has changed.  A full copy can be viewed at http://www.in.gov/dnr/entomolo/pdfs/EABLagrangeSteuben04.pdf

Basically, it looks like the state has quarantine the state of Michigan, and any entry of ash materials into Indiana from Michigan will need documentation assering it is pest free.  Just another bump in the road...
Erin Stiers
State Plant Health Director - Minnesota
United States Department of Agriculture

AtLast

What most dont realize is that this " pest" has been around for at least 10 years and unknowen to anyone the movement of the infested wood has gone on. I hate to be the bareer of bad tidings BUT as far as Michigan is concerned..its a done deal...the WORST fear was that this material make its way accross the Big Mac...well..it did....now the worry is ...will it move west....as Im sure most of you know its appearance in other states is evident and continues to do so due to the lack of information and awarness....the worst fear is that because of the time frame that this material has moved further than expected....foreign trade has impacted our woods and forests and continues to do so....if we dont nip this in the butt soon and better regulate incoming dunnage...well...lets just say...have you ever seen the movie " Soylent Green"

Corley5

I heard the other day from an inside source that one of the traps yielded and EAB south of the Tower/Onaway area in a stand of black ash along the Black River. :( :'( >:( :o :( :'( ::)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

sprucebunny

I was reading last summers(2004) Timber Crier from the NH Timberland Owners Assn and it says that EAB was also found in Ohio and Maryland in 2003.

Pedalbiker

Last week the local newspaper reported that an ash borer was located in a trap in Warren township in Midland county.  Unfortunetly, thats the township I live in.   :-[   This is located in the central part of the state.
Patrick Hubble
Coleman, MI

"You will never find time for anything. If you want time, you must make it."      Charles Buxton

estiers

AtLast - you are correct that EAB symptoms were found in the UP on wood transported there from the quarantined area.  However, there has not been a confirmed positive in the UP, meaning that there is no standing ash that has been found in the UP with EAB.  

As for Cheboygan county, unfortunately, that is a confirmed site.  

Just wanted to clear things up.
Erin Stiers
State Plant Health Director - Minnesota
United States Department of Agriculture

Paschale

Heard about this on the radio today, and found an article at the Detroit Free Press:

December 3, 2004, 4:55 PM

LANSING, Mich. (AP) -- Larvae of emerald ash borers, which have been killing the state's ash trees, have been found in central and northern Michigan, a spokeswoman for the state Department of Agriculture said Friday.

The early signs of the ash pest were found in trees damaged by state agriculture crews in Cheboygan, Oscoda and Midland counties to determine whether the ash pest is in those parts of Michigan, spokeswoman Sara Linsmeier-Wurfel said.

Earlier this year, state crews removed a layer of bark on thousands of ash trees across the state to stress them because they better attract the borer and help agriculture officials determine how far it has spread across the state.

Since their discovery in 2002, the ash borer has killed millions of ash trees in 13 counties in Lower Michigan. To control its spread, the state has made it illegal to move ash trees, branches, lumber or firewood unless they are chipped to one inch. The quarantine has been extended to isolated areas of six other Michigan counties.

The state is sending a crew to Oscoda, Midland and Cheboygan counties to determine whether they have an infestation of the emerald ash borer, Linsmeier-Wurfel said.

"While we found them in tree traps, it doesn't necessarily mean the area is infested," she said.

Corley5

:( :'( :( :'( >:( :'( :( :'(
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

SwampDonkey

I hope that bug doesn't come here because I have alot of white ash seedlings I'm trying to manage for on my woodlot.  :-/

Ron Scott

~Ron

sprucebunny

I think the fines should have been ALOT MORE   :-/

Ron Scott

I agree, especially when warnings have been and are constantly posted.
~Ron

Paschale

Man!  This burns you up!  

"In Gratiot County, OGW Tree Service and Trucking was found guilty and ordered to pay the state $8,680 in fines, court costs and restitution as well as serve 90 days in jail should the fees fail to be paid in a timely manner. The company was also found guilty in Luce County and fined $200."

That low of a fine is a crime!  Makes ya really mad...especially when those yahoos probably made money cutting that stuff up for firewood, illegally, and they probably made more money than the fine was.  So they're still ahead, so it's not much of a penalty or deterrent.

ARGH!

Ron Scott

~Ron

Furby

Oh great! With the the dunes there, go figure! ::)
I guess I better take a walk in the spring.

Thank You Sponsors!