iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

TIMBERJACK vs John Deere

Started by timberjack240, April 19, 2005, 02:20:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberjack240

once agian im in school bored outta my mind so i decided to make this topic.

which do you think is better...
the old timberjacks (when tjs were tjs  ;) or john deeres skidders and why
myself i prefer the old timberjacks. one cause i hate jonh deere. to tipsy and expensive to fix. and they are to quiet  ;D. timberjhacks arent so high easy and cheap to fix and they are LOUD  ;D  ;D. and they stand out with the orange. theres other reasons but im to lazy to type them  :D

OLD_ JD

canadien forest ranger

tnlogger

TJ them old 208 and 225s were good machines all right but for my vote i would say 440 and 540A s had em beat at least in nothern Maine back a long long time ago. but then we were in the snow and chasing
da moose around with um to.  :D :D :D :D
gene

beenthere

Well, for me you said a mouthful about yourself in that short message. In 40 years (when retired with your feet up and reflecting on all the hard, productive work you did), go back and read it carefully again (or sooner if you want to analyze what you said).   :)
You need some 'real life' experience, so be patient; and love, don't hate.  ;)

Being bored is a product of oneself, and not something someone else can help you solve.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Scott

I would have to say that it would depend. If I were running a large company or had more money than I do right now I'd buy a Deere (parts for the Deeres usually cost more) Also if I were running a large fleet of different types of equipment (dozers, harvesters, skidders, log loaders etc) it might be good to run one brand. That way you could get all your parts and service from one dealer. TJ's are a really popular machine around here, I'd say at least 60% of the machines that I see out in the woods Are TJs. Parts usually cost less for them are often easier to find. As for the noise thing with the 3 cyl. TJs, thats a huge turn off.
   There were guys working right across the road from us a few years ago who were using 2 TJ 230's with detroits in them. Theyd start everyday at 6 and sometimes work till midnight. Now i have nothing against someone trying to make a living but these guys were cutting illegally inside a residental buffer zone and also creating way too much noise pollution for the local residents. The community took them to court and they lost. If it weren't for the noise we might have let it go.

timberjack240

i love hearin the detroits in the morning. all is queit.... and  all at once .
the screamin demand is turned loose  8)  :D
its liek some people say.. if its to loud your to old   ;D (no offense to anyone) ;D
we have a  353 and a 453 and they both scream  ;D

timberjack240

john deeres steerrin are alright but ill still take my timmberjack  ;D . old jd
ya you can only get in from one side which can be a downfall but.. where the shifter is on sum of the jd's you cant get in theere half the time anyway cuase if ya bump th shifter the gears grind. you can get out both sides on a tj and back in if yur my age, tall and flexible  ;D cause i i parked over a puddle one day and had to do it   ;D. its not fun though but some of the john deeres thats handy... ill give ya that

duramax

I'm a TJ fan myself , having run a few different brands. We run a '97 460 and a '99 560 ,both behind our Timbco T455d buncher. These are EXCELLENT machines !! Very little downtime and affordable parts. Also with the powershift transmission,it's easy to operate (less operator fatigue) . All around they're a very good machine for both owners and operators. If this were the old days though, I'd probably opt for the John Deere. Reason being that you could unlock the diffs, smoother steering and much,much quieter than the old tj's. Now every machine available has smooth steering, unlockable diff's , and soundproof cabs. Our operators are able to work 12-13hour shifts and be less tired than when we ran the old skidders. :)
1999 Timbco T455D , 1999 Timberjack 560 dual arch grapple, 1987 Timberjack 450 cable , 1998 Husky Brute XL235 loader w/slasher

timberjack240

ill still take the old timberjacks rather than the new ones. the new ones are basically a john deere pianted green and theyre to quiet ;D

duramax
hows the timbco work. i seen them in action and im impressed watchin htem cut how big is pulpwood. how much hp's does it have and how big is the head on. it and do you have a delimbing and cut to length head or just he regualr one.

timberjack240

duramax

Timberjack240,  the Timbco works great, we use it mainly in selective cut hardwoods . Last winter we did a 650 acre softwood select cut with patch cuts. We use a 22" Quadco hot saw with 360 degree rotation, no delimbimg capabilities. All the softwood and small hardwoods are delimbed at the road with a denharco stroke delimber on an O&K carrier. The larger hardwoods are delimbed by chainsaw, there isn't a machine out there that is capable of doing those big rough yellow birch that we had!The skidders we have are still the REAL timberjacks, not the jd painted green. I wouldn't buy one of them. I would buy the new Valmet 765 though, you  can check out the thread I posted a while back. 
1999 Timbco T455D , 1999 Timberjack 560 dual arch grapple, 1987 Timberjack 450 cable , 1998 Husky Brute XL235 loader w/slasher

Scott

Durmax, any chance of getting a picture up of that O&K delimber? I think thats a pretty uncommon brand, especialy for a woods machine  :)

duramax

Here's the O&K , they are rare enough I only know of two around here.

duramax

I guess that didn't work, sorry.

tiny3

artest formely known as tiny

timberjack240

any chance of pics of the tjs ??
we do everything with a chainsaw  ;D one thing i learned  hemlocks have aLOT of limbs  ;D

duramax

I'd post some but all my pics are jpg files and it wont let me post 'em. >:(

OLD_ JD

duramax to post file whene they are jpg,just use "insert image" and copy the pic link btwenthe 2 [ ], it work fine for me ;)
canadien forest ranger

duramax

duramax

[picture 003.jpg][picture 003.jpg]

duramax

duramax

duramax

I give up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:(

OLD_ JD

duramax did u post ure pic in the gallery?i cant find them :-\
canadien forest ranger

Thank You Sponsors!