iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

retreiving bought items

Started by redpowerd, April 19, 2005, 08:38:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redpowerd

bought a pumpkin for the front of the f-250, just havent received it yet.
i paid for it back in january with a cashiers check. i have the fellas address, but will an officer go after someone if the amount or item owed is just over a hundred bucks? anyone else deal with a deadbeat? ive emaied him many many times, but no reply.

he saw i was bidding on a pumpkin on ebay, and contacted me privately, so ebay is not involved. the price i paid for the pumpkin was very reasonable, so if it costs a bit for a third party to retreive it, im not too worried.

thanks for the help.
jon
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

moosehunter

Did you ever see the skit on Saturday Night Live " Bad Idea Jeans" ?
The guys that don't list on e-bay but use the service to contact people are usually scams. Where does he live? Maybe a fellow forum member is close enough to break his legs for you! ( not that I condone violence, just seems apropriate at times)
I hope this turns out OK for you. Keep us posted!
MH
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

redpowerd

this fella is very active on ebay.
lives someplace in PA. i could see breaking his legs if he burned my farm but not over a hunndred bucks. ;D
im gunna call the cops in his town or county to see what they can do.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

Rockn H

Redpowered, was he going to pay for shipping?  If so he may be trying to figure out how to shipit and still make money. Happened to a friend of mine with a Ford Ranger hood.

Dan_Shade

you said cashiers check, but was it a money order instead?

if you used a postal money order, you can get them involved, it's a federal offense to use the post office for illegal activities.

you won't have much luck over $100 getting the police involved, though.  A friend of mine got back $900 from a guy he supposedly bought wheels from once, but he had paid with a postal money order.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Avalancher

This is any easy one, I have had several deals go bad like this, and the answer for me was simple. Swing past the post office and pick up a mail fraud complaint form. Fill it out, and let the feds deal with him. Generally, once the post masters office contacts him, it will prompt him to follow through. As long as the mail system was used in the deal (you mailed him the funds, correct?) then the postal service will get involved.
The first thing the US Mail will do is send him a copy of the complaint, asking him his side of the story, as well as a pamplet explaining what will happen if they determine fraud actually happened. This alone generally gets most people moving. It worked for me 6 out of 7 cases I have had to deal with in this kind of situation. The seventh actually went the next step where the inspectos office actually called the guy, and then my parts were sent out the next day.
After they idicate to the postal service that they did send out the paid for items, you will also get another form for you to say yes you have or no you did not get the item you were promised. If you say no, it goes on to the next step.
Use the feds, they will generally get even the most dishonest sellers moving, they dont want fed trouble.

Jeff

We got the WestVirgina State police involved in one of Tammy's purchases where the guy never shipped the item. THey have an internet crimes division. THis was only $57.  If its an Ebay purchase, ebay will give you the other persons phone number. THis guy would not answer his phone or nothing, thats when we called the West Virginai State police after messing with the guy for 4 months. THey must have some how put the fear of god in him because 2 weeks later Tammy got a postal money order (no name) for the exact amount that this dude owed.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DanG

If he's a big Ebay user, you might bring some pressure to bear by threatening to report him there.  They would likely take a dim view of his skimming bidders away from their auction. 
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

SwampDonkey

I never had any trouble off ebay yet. Most of my purchases are small potatoes, mainly antique Computers and accessories actually. I did buy a Sat receiver this winter and the limits wouldn't program so the guy took it back and even paid for my shipping costs, to and fro. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

redpowerd

think what ill do is contact ebay and tell them what has happend, mabie get a phone number from them. calling him may be the best thing to do before calling the cops.
thanks for the help!
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

submarinesailor

Hey redpowered,

I agree with Avalancher and Jeff B.  Start with the postal inspectors and if they don't clear it up for you.  Call the state police internet crimes division for the state that he lives in.

subsailor

UNCLEBUCK

I can cancel /stop payment on money orders if purchased from my local bank . It is no problem to do so but I dont know the time length one can do that . Purchasing off ebay is a high risk. I see a new scam and its the ebay "wanted " section . You post a certain item your looking to buy and people contact you if they have it but be careful and read their feedback and amount of transactions etc...   I dont buy anything from anybody on ebay if they have poor feedback or recently changed their ebay name etc..   I hope you nail him down red and I"ll help . Lets drag him through Fd"s gator pit ! smiley_deadheader alligator
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

asy

Red,

Email Ebay, and let them know what happened. Send them a copy of this guy'd email. He'll get banned from ebay pretty much instantly, as it's an offence to contact someone privately.

Make sure you say that you didn't know you shouldn't buy from him...

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

redpowerd

hes got 100% feedback, he told me he was seriously hurt at work, and hed ship it out. hed get me the tracking number after he shipped it, but that was the last email from him.

i looked around ebay for a place to send them an email, but couldnt find one, dont have a lot of time on-line. i wonder if he has even seen my emails. he responded pretty quick when i said i was gittin the law involved the first time, now he just ignores me.
what a dink!
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

Avalancher

trying emailing to claire@ebay.com or damon@ebay.com 
They dont handle this kind of thing, but they will give you the proper email address and if you ask politely the phone number for ebay. I know what you are thinking, ebay phone number? Well, it is actually possible to call someone at ebay. I had it in my palm at one time, but I think it must have gotten lost when I let the battery run down. If I find it I will post it for you, my wife may have it, she gets some addtional support from ebay being a power seller, but not a whole lot extra.

Frank_Pender

What a host of information.  This gives me a number of avenues to follow in geting money owed for some burl I sent to a fella in New England area.  I has been several weeks a nd many excuses as to why no money.  I included a statement in the shipment and even stapled it to the wood.  He said non arrived.  I then sent a registered letter and he said it did not arrive and to check with the post office folks.  I thought with a registered letter, after so many days it would be returned if they did not accept the letter.  What I think has happened is that he saw the notice for the letter and has refused to go to the post office and pick it up and then giving the lame excuse that it never arrived.
Frank Pender

asy

Frank,

Never send ebay stuff before you have the money. Even ebay say that. Contact them and put in a 'non-paying buyer' alert, then they will contact him and ask him why he hasn't paid.

Also, see if you can find stuff he's selling, or find his website, and see if you can find any of your wood there!

redpowerd

seems a threatining header in email was the trick, said id give him a day or i was calling the pa state police internet crimes divison. he simply emailed me back my usps tracking number! how rude, could have at least said sorry. :D

i also gave him an ebay message telling him i would also be talking to ebay about his underhandedness. ;D
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

Jeff

Good for you red!

It took me from the week before Christmas until the first week in April to get a toy log truck I bought.  It only had to come 45 miles. The gal was in Michigan.  I know exactly what was happening. I bought it way cheap, and she decided she wasn't going to sell it. She kept telling me she could not find it. That she would give my money back, I kept saying no, I want the truck. Eventually she refunded my money anyways with out my permission and told me "If I ever find the truck, I'll send it to you no charge for you trouble."  This was the email I sent her last week:

You stole my money for 4 months. Once you got my money and never sent my item you became a thief.  The same thing a shop lifter does once they leave the store. Oh! I was going to pay for that, really!. When confronted repeatedly with your crime is when you made a promise of compensation. All documented. You returned the money after I said I did not want the money I wanted what was rightfully mine, the item I purchased. By not sending the item for so long you committed a crime. I have decided to pursue this and I am calling the State police.

The previously mysteriously missing truck arrived THE NEXT DAY! :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Roxie

Say when

asy

Wow, what a coincidence!

She found the truck on the EXACT same day you wrote her!

Amazing....

submarinesailor

Don't you just love funny coincidences like Jeff's?  Was it his wonderful charm or the forceful "State Police"?  :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D ;) ;)

SwampDonkey

Jeff,

This person must have been knew to ebay. She shoulda set a reserve on the item if she wanted a minimum bid.  That was no excuse to with-hold the item. ::)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

redpowerd

looks like i need to go with the mail fraud route.
i still havent received so much as a postcard from this fella, and i had the p.o. check the tracking number, no record. had to bring this thread up to refer back for some more help. im really not interested in calling the fuzz, allthough im pithed.

first thing tomorrow im going to the post office to sort this thing out.

thanks again!
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

SwampDonkey

Red,

Sounds like a real deadbeat to me. That $100 item means as much as a $10,000 one. You paid for it and ya want it, pronto.  ::) >:(

redpowerd

10-4 swamp. and it angers me when i need all six wheels spinnin to get in and out of a feild. ive also had offers for getting another one, but whats the sense when ive allready bought one?

i hope i have all my bases coverd before i cry fraud.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

sigidi

Red,

how long ago did the chap let you know he had had and accident?

Maybe, just maybe (yeah I know I'm naive) he has been laid up and at the moment he isn't thinking about ebay? especially if he is batting 100%. It takes alot to keep a good fedback record with ebay. My wife has a cpl of negs so her feedback is something like 99.2% or something stupid like that. Admittedly the chap went about it the wrong way by contacting you out of ebay (and maybe that's how he has kept his record, 'cause you can't leave him bad feedback without buying an auction) but he needs to have done a lot of work to have the rating especially if he has done a heap of sales!!!

Dunno Red, most times I get a bit pithed about things, but like to give folkes the benefit of the doubt???

Sounds like you are reluctant to get the law involved too
Always willing to help - Allan

Sawyerfortyish

Wow wish I would have known about the money order mail fraud deal. I got took for a crosscut saw plus the shipping about 75.00. I won the bid for the saw it went cheap. They told me that the shipping was more than the saw I told them I wanted it anyway. Spent the next 3 months trying to get a tracking #. All I could do was leave bad feed back. They got my money order I got nothing  >:( that was 2 years ago.

maple flats

Sawyerfortyish, Not sure what the statute of limitations is but contact the post office anyways, it may still do some good.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Frank_Pender

Jeff, can I use your paragraph in trying to collect money from Vermont? ;D
Frank Pender

etat

over the past several years I've bought quite a bit of stuff off of ebay.  A couple of times after I finally saw they were going to try to rip me off I'd wind up informing them I was going to file charges through the internet.  I might have been lucky but I always wound up receiving my merchandise.

A couple of links to sort through.

http://www.basestealer.com/

http://cgi3.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=mioka

http://pirsquare.letzebuerg.biz/scams.htm#moneyorder

http://www.mindspring.com/~bookdealers/ripoff.html
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

redpowerd

thanks ckate
i see hes still been living it up on ebay, got himself some nice tools with my hunnerd bucks.

i just hate to call the cops, i know they got far better things to do with their time
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

mike_van

When someone contacts you and says "I see you were bidding etc." It is 99.9% scam.  Even if they say my ID is XXXXX on ebay, you have no way to know unless you get their contact info from ebay. Pretty sure it won't match where you sent the check to.  The seller in question, if they have lots of good FB would have no reason to screw you over this, i'm quite sure.  Try the p.o.  of p.d.,   for you to go to ebay and say "I went for an after auction deal"  They will probably rightfully say "too bad, we warn people not to"
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

johncinquo

Unfortunately Ebay and the other auctions sites have turned into a haven for slippery scoundrels.  The FBI has a site to report internet fraud.  They get 3500 reports, DAILY.  They try and match up a bunch that have the same information in key spots, and then make some effort to investigate them, but in their own words they are simply overwhelmed and can do very little.  They have a few success stories, but its a minor drop in the bucket compared to how much is gotten away with. 

I play along with some of the scams just to see how far they will go.  I have a check here for $7500, drawn on a auto dealerships account out of WV.  It was mailed to me from London.   I tried to turn it in to the law enforcement authorities, and they turned me on to the FBI website and thats was the extent of their interest.  I was suposed to send the extra money back via western union as soon as I received the check.  Yeah right, I was born at night, but not last night!  I called the car dealership down in WV and I think the poor lady on the phone had a seisure while I was talking with her.  The check looked absolutely perfect, had signatures in ink, they thieves are actually rotating the check numbers!  The company had to close their accounts and get all new checking info. 

Have any friends that live neaby that can help you out?  I did help someone I know collect some merchandise they had paid for and never received.  I took some friends out for a cycle ride.  I stopped and asked if "Joe"was there, explained that I was here to pick up stuff for my friend from out of state, referenced the Ebay purchase, and dialed my friend on the cell phone while I was standing on the front porch.  Joe went inside, came out with a box, and we were all set.  I was very nice and cordial about it and said thanks, and I hope whatever is wrong with you gets better soon.    Then again, maybe the 5 guys on motorcycles waiting for me out at the street may have helped. 
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Buzz-sawyer

johncinquo
Hats off to you on that visit...that is the stuff that puts a smile on my face.....one for the good guys!!!
I hope he had a change for shorts afterward ;)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

mike_van

Here's a real one that happened to a small town bed & breakfast near me - A party made reservations for a group, and mailed a deposit check - 500.00 I think it was - A few days later, they phoned, there had been a "terrible" accident and were forced to cancel - Would the B&B please wire the money back? Well, the B&B checked their account and the check had been credited, so they wired the money. Soon there after, they are contacted by their bank, there was a problem, the check was bogus, wrong name on the account, the 500.00 credit was removed, B&B is out 500.00. Moral of the story? Plenty of crooks out there looking for your $$$$, always coming up with new ways [other than earning] to get it.                                                  Over on the Woodweb site, I had some lumber for sale, I got an email from a "buyer"  -  He wanted me to accept a "bank check" for 3000.00 [for 350.00 worth of lumber]  deposit it, and WIRE the balance to a 3rd party. People go for this crap, and loose lots of $$$$$ in the process.  It's like the Nigerian millionare scam.  Don't be a victim!!!!!!
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Corley5

Late last winter I ran some adds in our local papers to sell some hay.  One evening we get a call from a hearing impaired person communicating through the operator.  She has three horses and needs hay and gives me an e-mail address to contact her directly in writing.  OK alls cool modern technology ;D and I fire off an e-mail to her.  The reply I get is that after I supply my address she'll send me an over amount check that I'm supposed to send her the difference back on and her agent will pick up the hay for shipping to London, England  ::).  "Her" written English was pretty poor ;)  When I didn't respond I got another e-mail from "Her" requesting my address again so she could send me the money for the ring ::)  I sent a nasty e-mail about scammers to "her" and got back a reply asking why I was being rude to a handicapped person ;D :D ;) ;) ::) 8) 8) 8)  I sent another message back asking what "she" was buying from me hay or a ring and that was the end.  I figure that my add was gleaned was from one of the papers on-line classified sections. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

SwampDonkey

I've been waiting 9 weeks for a DVD I bought off ebay, it's not something i'm too worked up about, small change. But, the guy apparently doesn't reply to most of his emails from others in the same situation as I. I've emailed him, and left a complaint with ebay and just yesterday mailed VISA with the details. He has never responded to my emails either. He is a high volume seller and all the complaints I see are the same as mine. I don't know who will eat it, but I'm sure Paypal will be crediting my Visa account. :)

here is the item

Ebay item

check out his feedback

VK540_1

I bought an outboard motor last year using ebay. The motor was supose to be like new but when I recieved  it thier was major mechanical problems. The seller would not take it back and ebay was no help. I paid for the motor with visa. Visa offers a protection plan for purchases made over the internet. If you don't recieve your purchace or if you recieve it and it is not as described visa will refund your money and bill the seller. I shipped the motor back and visa refunded me.  I use visa for all my purchases on the internet now. If a seller does not take visa I am suspicius, that guy I bought the motor from is still selling motors on ebay but he does't take visa anymore. :)

SwampDonkey

That's funny you mentioned outboard motors. I have one hardly used in my brother's basement. There wouldn't be 20 hours on it. It's 7.5 horse Johnson/Evenrude. It's not that new, close to 15 years old I think. I'm too far from any lake access and like my grandfather I only used it for fishing. We weren't much for pleasure boating. Now I don't even fish.  ::)

Thank You Sponsors!