iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

oliver-green

Started by larry, June 16, 2002, 12:47:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

larry

I need opinions on oliver-green saw mill 23hp vanguard,30' by 18' cut 2*6" frame,trailer, All I have seen is a few pictures and have a few good marks. manual mill,19" band wheels,Also its less than 500 miles from east tx.

DanG

Welcome, Larry.  All I can say is "Do your homework before you buy."  Read this entire site and you will discover a wealth of info that was posted in reply to this same question. New is nice, but you may want to consider a used mill with more features, if you want to cut commercially.  Look at all the mills you can find, watch them work, ask questions of the owners, then consider what best fits your needs. I'd rather travel a thousand miles to get a mill that is right for me, than 500 for one that isn't.
Best of luck in whatever you decide.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

DanG

Larry, have you checked out the Sawmill Exchange? Their site not only has a number of used mills that are for sale, but has an excellent links page with virtually all manufacturer's websites. You can learn an awful lot about what is available, there.

www.sawmillexchange.com

I have looked at a number of mills, myself, and found a lot of variation in quality, flexibility, and features. If I were looking for a strictly manual bandmill, T.A. Schmidd would get my business. If I were looking at something that is upgradeable, I'd be thinking of Cook's Saw, from Alabama. Of course, Woodmizer and Norwood, as well as most other major makers, have small, manual rigs in their inventories, and most all of them are serviceable. None of them are perfect.
It is good to be careful making your choice, but while you are thinking, trees are falling, and summer is wasting away, and you ain't getting any younger.  I don't have a vote here, but if I did, I'd say "Pick one, and go for it!" 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Thank You Sponsors!