iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Current prices for saw logs

Started by Haytrader, April 17, 2005, 02:05:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haytrader

Can any of you tell me the current value of ERC and Ponderosa Pine sawlogs?
I have aquired two tree rows. One of each species. I have an outlet for the cedar but not the pine. Who buys pine in eastern Ok., western Mo., or western Arkansas?

Thanks
Haytrader

JoeyLowe

Pine is going for $50-$65/ton around here in NE Texas. 
--
Joey Lowe

"Working towards perfection has to be a part of anything one does.  You've got to put yourself into it." ... Sam Maloof (chairmaker)

LeeB

roughly how many bf in a ton? what would shipping cost to centra Texas? LeeB ???
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

tnlogger

lee pine saw logs run about 55to5700 lbs to the Mbf cedar drys fast so it should be a little less at least thats what the mills use for weight around here.
gene

LeeB

so a ton would be roughly 300bf? LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

spencerhenry

here in colorado i get timber sale bid notices from the forest service regularly. green ponderosa pine goes for $20/ mbf, standing dead goes for more, but cant remember off the top of my head. flat land, no brush, decomposed granite soil. could *DanG near set up the mill anywhere you want. problem is, that stuff is heavy, so i need a machine to move logs and load lumber. by the time i haul my machinery over there, and haul the material back to my place, i might as well just buy the logs. alot of it just goes to firewood, no alot of demand for it here.

Rockn H

I'm kind of interested in the current price of ERC around SW arkansas.  I was recently asked about 14 acres w 18" dbh supposedly.

cheshire sawyer

Lumber pricing is a good question.  Is there a publication, or forum that might tell what log and/or lumber prices are for a given region?

Robert R

chaplain robert
little farm/BIG GOD

Rockn H

Robert R, that one link by Doc Gene had some short to the point grading info.
thanks.
Still haven't been able to find any price info on ERC , but this link does have current prices, at bottom of page, for other species in all states surrounding AR.
http://www.forestry.state.ar.us/manage/timber_buyer.html

JoeyLowe

Lee:

In the spring/summer time, it would be around 400BF/ton, in the winter, it is a little more.  Shipping depends on what you are shipping.  If you are asking what it would cost to ship raw logs to central Texas, probably not going to happen.  Most loggers tend to stay close to home unless the price is real good.  Other problem is offloading the logs from the trucks.  If you are inquiring as to sawn lumber, again it depends on how much and what type. 

Around here ERC is going for about $40/ton if the logs are at least 8'6", straight and about 18"/dbh.  Unforuntately, most ERC around here is either much smaller or much larger, both of which ain't good.
--
Joey Lowe

"Working towards perfection has to be a part of anything one does.  You've got to put yourself into it." ... Sam Maloof (chairmaker)

maple flats

You want to be careful, log prices vary a lot from one region to another. Thy to get prices from close by or you might be way off. Just my 2 cents
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Haytrader

::)

I am gonna go by the highest price since I am selling.

;)
Haytrader

RMay

I have been giving $200 per MBF for standing ceder on Doyle in AR.  ;)
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

Bro. Noble

Giles and Kendall,  a cedar closet lining manufacturer in Gainesville,  Mo.  Runs an add in the local paper wanting to buy ERC logs.  They buy 52 inch and 8'6" logs.  The eight foot are priced from $4.40 for a log with a 6" top up to $38.40 for an 18 " top.  I think they have a website.  Their pone no. is:  1-800-442-0582.

milking and logging and sawing and milking

Haytrader

So, RMay, what do you think you are worth  getting it to the mill?
Then I will have my answer.

Noble,

I checked thier site and see nuttin about the buying end. Did I miss sumthin?
Haytrader

RMay

Hay trader thats a good question its a 7 mile hall . I would say $75.00 per mbf.  :D
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

LeeB

Thanks Joey. It was the raw log price I was interested in. No such animal around these parts. The closest thing i can get are power poles and they surely ain't no fun. >:( LeeB

Bro. Noble

Haytrader,

The prices were in the local paper.  I just quoted the largest and smallest.

I can give you more if you want. 

Haytrader

Noble,

According to my cedar rule, what you quoted G&K paying translates to about .50 bd ft

What is the name of the paper there? I would like to see if they have a website where I can look in.
Haytrader

Bro. Noble

Haytrader,

The paper is 'Ozark County Times'

SawDust_Studios

Jeff,

I think it would be great if we could do a poll or something simliar on the more common species and their prices!!  I could figure out how to do a poll with more than one topic! Anyone else up for that.?

I find the data from this post and the previous one on cherry very informative and interesting.  Here in PA, penn state used to publish mill and stump prices quarterly, but they don't seem to be keeping up lately. 

Dave
Making Sawdust on a Woodmizer LT40SHD CAT 51 /WM Twin Blade Edger and WM DH Kiln

footer

I like  the Idea. I find it difficult to find current log prices in my area.

Haytrader

Noble,

I found a site for the paper but can't find anything as far as log quotes.
Did you see it in the classifieds or as a news item?
Haytrader

Bro. Noble

Haytrader,

Its an ad  in the paper.  Send me your address again and I will mail it to you :)

swamp-drifter

Greetings All,
All this talk on prices and such gets me to wondering about what people feel is the going rate for ash logs in the Michigan area, given that there are quarantines effecting some areas, what is ash going for, what do you think it should be going for, many thoughts out there on this? sd

Robert R

I'm not in your area, but in Mo I am getting $0.40 a foot for straight, clean Ash logs 12 foot, min. 10 inches.  If you have an Amish community near you, check with them on Ash, they probably pay for it better than others because they use it for wagon tongues and here, at least, havea hard time getting their hands on it.  But the logs to have to be straight as an arrow.  Otherwise, I get $0.20 for it at a pallet mill.
chaplain robert
little farm/BIG GOD

ARKANSAWYER

SYP is going for $54 a ton at the closest mill that is 100 miles from here and I can buy it for $40 a ton if I haul it.  I can sell the lumber for $0.50 bdft right off the mill about as fast as I cut it.
  ERC I pay $0.32 on the cedar scale or $70 a ton for good trees with 6 inch tops.   I sell the lumber for $0.80 bdft right off the mill up to 12 ft long and 10 inches wide.  Wider and longer get higher prices.  G&K are paying $0.40 a bdft on the cedar scale and dock hard.
ARKANSAWYER

Thank You Sponsors!