iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Are we dieting ?

Started by chet, April 17, 2005, 08:51:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chet

I was just wonderin' if da members are collectively on a diet.  ???  Seems as though there hasn't been as much discusion of food lately. Don't get me wrong I'm not whinin' because I ain't heard da word Grits lately.  ;D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Roxie

Yep   :) 
I get about two days into it though, and remember that someone once asked me if I knew how many women on the Titantic skipped dessert because they were watching their figure.   :D
Say when

Bro. Noble

Roxie,

I'm with you  8)

My wife's always telling me I can't eat that because of my blood pressure,  and I can't eat that because of my blood sugar,  and I cant eat something else cause I'm too fat.  I tell her if I was to skip all that good food and then get hit by a car,  I'd really be pithed :D :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

old3dogg

Im gonna fry some 1/2 pound burgers on the grill today!
Little brother said something about bringing some fresh trout over.
Wash it all down with ice cold beer while we watch the race on tv that I put out on the deck.
No diet here my friend! ;D

Part_Timer

I figure if I cut more trees,  haul more logs,  cut more lumber, and stack more boards I won't worry about what I'm eating.  I'd like to see my doctor keep up for 4 hours much less the weekend  :)
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

old3dogg

Wife brought back some Florida sweet corn on the cobb so I guess Im gonna roast that on the grill also! 8)

Engineer

I'm usually on a see-food diet - I see food, I eat it.

What's the point of dieting anyway?  I work hard, I'm an outdoors kind of person, yeah I'm overweight, but so what?  I don't wanna spend my life eating lo-fat/lo-carb/lo-cholesterol/lo-calorie, low TASTE crap, only to live another five years and regret all of them.  No way.

I wanna enjoy my meals - all of the grilled, smoked, sauteed, fried, and even the healthy stuff.  I love to cook and love to eat, and if I get hit by a bus tomorrow, all the dieting in the world won't have helped me, and I won't regret my last meal.

Julia Child was famous for saying "Eat EVERYTHING, in MODERATION."  That's gospel.

J

isawlogs

Just had me some fresh from the bird eggs and some fresh from the tree syrrup .....  Now I'm thinking of getting more syrup for desert ....  ;D   maple syrup and fresh bread and butter .... Really good for tha cholastérol   ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Norm

Howd you know!  I've been on one for over a month now, first time I've been under 200lbs for a long time. Been losing an average of 2lbs a week.

I'm eating a little more chicken and seafood but giving up things like a stick of butter on my baked potato.  ;D

chet

Quote from: Norm_F. on April 17, 2005, 01:15:34 PM
Howd you know! I've been on one for over a month now, first time I've been under 200lbs for a long time. Been losing an average of 2lbs a week.

I'm eating a little more chicken and seafood but giving up things like a stick of butter on my baked potato. ;D

Norm,
Yur a stronger man than me.   ;)   Taters are a staple of my diet, and ya can't eat taters without lots of butter.   :)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

beenthere

Engineer
Follow Julia's recommendation, just stay away from in front of the bus   ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

hiya

I have heard that if you eat only whats good for you, exerise like you should, do everything just right, when you die the Dr. wouldn't know what to put the cause of death from on the death certificate. (sp?)
Richard
ps meat ( chicken and deer) and taters is the only way to go 8) 8)
RichardinMd.

Ernie

For years I had a yellowed old newpaper article stuck on the fridge door.  It was a study done in Finland over quite a long period of time and involving thousands of men.  The men were broken into two groups.  The first ate sensibly???? drank little alcohol,  got plenty of exercise and quit smoking.  The second ate, drank and smoked what ever and whenever they wanted and only exercised if they felt like it.

Virtually all of the first group died well before any of the second group.

Must have been the stress of giving up their normal lifestyle.

Enough said?

My mother's parents were Finnish so I felt it was quite pertinent :) :) :)

Ernie
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Norm

Aint no way I could give up taters!  Now I try to use less than a stick of butter on em but still slather it on. ;D

When that low carb diet was going around there wasn't a chance I could go on it. I grew up in a meat and potatoes family and still crave it today. One of the things that has helped is to eat lots of veggies to fill myself up with but still have to have taters or rice also. Patty has a book with the calories of everything and it has been surprising what is low cal and what isn't. I love dairy products but was shocked by how many calories cream and butter have in em.

Patty

Yea, I'm the one on the diet (which always puts me in a foul mood) and Norm is the one losing the weight. It just is not fair. Like a fool I told everybody that when I turned 50 I'd be slim & trim.  ::) Geesh, me & my big mouth. I totally blew it off until after Christmas, then it was after the anniversary, and then I ran out of excuses; and now I'm in a tizz about getting the weight off.

Norm has been great about the whole thing. He has altered his cooking to make the meals much lower in calories for me. Bless his heart. And I have been walking 2 miles to work & back everyday; and working my fool head off on the weekends. Something's got to give pretty soon.  :D
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Stump Jumper

so chet ya still got them grits with ff signatures or did imiss the hand off ::)
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

chet

Quote from: stump_jumper on April 17, 2005, 06:06:45 PM
so chet ya still got them grits with ff signatures or did imiss the hand off ::)

Still got um. But I know I can pawn them off on some unsuspecting soul this summer.  :)

asy

Hey Patty!

I have a surefire way to make you feel trim, taut and terriffic!

Come over here and stand next to me...    :D :o :D :o :D

That'll make ya feel Trim AND Taut...  And we're both already terrific!!!  hehe

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Paschale

I'm on a diet...I do that low-carb thing from time to time.  It really works, but man, it can be a pain sometimes. ::)  Now that grilling season is here, though, it's the diet for me, and really helps to shed the pounds.  But I got too much of a sweet tooth to stay on it forever... ::)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

WH_Conley

When ya get back from the store with the stuff that is low calorie, low fat, low cholesterol take it out of the package and eat the package, tastes better. :D :D
Bill

Engineer

Well, to heck with dieting, we have decided to spend the tax refund on a side of beef and a whole pig.  Freezer stuffing!

Easiest time of year to diet (if ya got to) is later in the summer when the fresh veggies are coming in and the farmer's markets are full.  My kids have been known to obtain entire meals just by going outside and sitting in the garden, eating tomatoes, spinach greens, carrots, etc.  I applaud their enjoyment of it, but I always feel that there's gotta be meat & starch in my meals. 

Unless it's ice cream.   :D

tnlogger

now i am real picky about my diet. I eat 3 meals a day big breakfast plenty of grease and grits
lunch meat and taters and supper all i can eat of the same but with plenty of pie or cake  ;D
gene

sawguy21

Somebody tells me it is low colesterol poly unsaturated whatever I don't want it. I can't stand to eat at my sister's place because she is obsessed with it. I eat what I like but in moderation. Well. some things in moderation :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

jjmk98k

Yeah, i am on a diet, this winter was hard and cold, packed on too many pound eating GRITS and Uncle sam wants me to loose some of them!

Funny thing, i stand 5'10" weigh 200# with a stocky build, but according to Air Force standards, I am 20# too heavy.... geez if I weighted 180 I'd look silly proportionally!

Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

Patty

Asy, You crack me up!  :D Of course we are both terrific, and beautiful too!

I just want to wear some of my clothes again. I am too cheap to buy new ones, and I'm tired of wearing hand-me-downs from my sons and from Norm.  ::)

The low carb thing pretty much sucks as far as I'm concerned. Just lower my calorie intake & raise my excersize level, and it should work. OK, so you know I'm kidding there, too. I've been trying to lower the calorie thing, but after my beer, cookies and ice cream, I don't have any calories left!  :D 
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

submarinesailor

jjmk98k,

Remember it all to well.  When I was the Command Senior Chief at the Richmond MEPS, I would run seven miles ever other day.  Nevertheless, I could never get my weight below the Navy's standards.  Maxed out the Marines PT test and they still thought I was over weight. ::) ??? ::) ???

The bad thing was that I put on 60 lbs after I retired.  As of this morning, lost 23.5 of that.  Stand  5'8" and just made it back to 219 – under 220 for the first time in years!!!!  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Bruce/subsailor

Engineer

Does the military still rate your physical condition solely by height/weight?  Because I *never* would have made it.  It's the reason I didn't get into West Point or the Air Force Academy - too little height and too much weight.    I know a few guys that are in incredible physcial condition - but they weigh a lot more than most because of the muscle mass.    Me, I'm 6' but pushing 285#, and I'd look really funny trying to get down to under 200 pounds to meet Uncle Sam's standards.    Don't they do a BMI or something - something a bit more scientific? 

Ernie

After 4 heart attacks, they finally put a couple of stents in the old ticker and I'm right as rain in that department now. For years, I thought that it was indigestion :( :(.  The doc said my cholesterol and blood sugars are great, she's not all that happy with my 233 lbs but I'm comfortable until I try to tie my shoes :D :D :D :D and can still do a good days work.  When my time comes, I'll die happy not all stressed out about quitting all the food I love.

When God wants me, He can have me, I'm sure He has sawmills up there. ;D ;D ;D

Ernie
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

submarinesailor

Engineer,

All I can tell you is that right before I retired, they were giving wavers to "certain" people.  If they liked you, you got a wavier.  If not, they got rid of you.  Remember, that was all most 15 years ago.  I was lucky; the Navy wasn't as bad as the Marines.  Worked with a Marine captain who was into body building.  He was always "over weight".  He could knock down a large draft horse and he always finished in the excellent category in the 3 mile run.  But he had a personality of a bent trash can.  Because of this no one within the Corp liked him and he was always given a bad time about his weight.  Last I heard, he left the Corp just short of 10 years.

Bruce/subsailor

Patty

The best dieting advice I got right here on the Forum from EZ. He said to lose weight you just have to take a drink of water in between each mouthful.   Along those same thoughts, if you lay your fork down between each bite you'll lose the weight. Although it sounds very EZ  ;D   it is extremely hard to do.

Good advice EZ, thank you.  ;)
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

jjmk98k

Yeah, the military has something new every few years, to test our strength and overall fitness.......but lately they been stuck on the body height / weight thing. they do the BMI to see if we pass/ fail.

like I said, there would be some silly looking tall thin guys around here if we all had to be at or under the allowed weight...  I still run fine, put on my gas mask and do my job just fine.... but I do understand , being healthy is the key!

Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

Jeff

For the last 3 weeks I have been snacking on only veggies and fruit, eating only at meal time with normal sized person ( ;D ) portions, staying away from anything fried or sweet.  Has been pretty easy to do, but after 3 weeks, only 3 lbs lost. Being off all this time my metabolism must be slowed to nothing.  :-\  At least with the snow gone and the shoulder some better, I can get out and do new things. ;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Weekend_Sawyer

Mabe a little, Doc says if I don't bring my Cholesteral down through diet, he's gonna put me on pills.
Sooo it's more fruit, less snacks, more plant fiber, less animal... And I like animals, right next to the potatoes.

As far as grits goes, someone told me if you take your leftover grits and let them harden in a pan, slice them, flour them and fry in a pan like potatoe pancakes they are great! Soooo the other day I made a double measure of grits for breakfast... Howd it work out? Don't know I ate them all at one sitting. I am a food aholic!

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

OneWithWood

Yeah, I'm on a diet.

Work hard, drink lots of water

Drink two beers or two glasses of wine per day (DanG hard not to go for the third, fourth etc.)

Try my damndest to eat 'normal' portions - have't done it yet
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

etat

I'm afraid if I dieted I'd dry up and blow away!  ;D
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Roxie

Note to self:  At first opportunity poke CK in the eye
Say when

Buzz-sawyer

Jeff B
Do you drink much water..when I am consciencious about it my metabolism starts working again :D :D :D
I believe my metabolism is so slow I could gain weight eating grass :D :D
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Jeff

Quote from: Buzz-sawyer on May 05, 2005, 12:12:08 PM
Jeff B
Do you drink much water..when I am consciencious about it my metabolism starts working again :D :D :D
I believe my metabolism is so slow I could gain weight eating grass :D :D

I am a diet coke addict. I drink that, and some water. I love milk but dont drink over 8ozs a day. When I was stuck in the sawbooth, I drank about a half gallon of water a day.

When I smoked, I also drank Mt. Dew by the quart. When I quit smoking, I quit the Mt. Dew as well, thats when I substituted the Diet Coke.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Buzz-sawyer

So , how much water you recone you consume daily??
I think for guys of our proportions it should be around 1/2 gallon or so?

I mean , if ya think about it water purifies us, flushes out the yuck, and probably actually burns up fat or calories simply by running through.
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Jason_WI

QuoteI believe my metabolism is so slow I could gain weight eating grass 

Mine is slower. I gain weight watching the food channel on TV. Somehow the calories are transmitted through ;D :D ;D :D

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

Patty

Yea, Roxie, give him a poke for me too.  :D

I am proud to announce that in the past 6 weeks I have lost 16 pounds!  8) 8) 8)

Every minute has been pure torchure. See I can't even spell torchure I am so weak from lack of food.  ::) Norm has been preparing wonderful low calorie meals, which has been a huge help. I walk 2 miles per day (to work & back) , eat zero snacks (well ALMOST zero), and eat 1 meal per day. I keep the calorie intake at or below 1200 including beer calories. So with 3 beers per day, the food calories have to be near 900 calories.  :-X

The advice from Buzz about lots of water is good. EZ also had good advice: Set your fork down between each bite, and take a drink of water. You cannot imagine how hard this is to do.

Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

etat

QuoteYea, Roxie, give him a poke for me too. 

Gotta warn ya, I'm REAL quick and running and ducking and hiding!

;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8)

Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Patty

You can run.....but you can't hide!
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

sprucebunny

Congratulations, Patty  8) You should be very proud of yourself.

Walking can make a big difference, Jeff. A little extra exercise can really kick your metabolism into gear.;D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

hawby

OK, so I retired from the desk job in January. Been lifting, toting, bending, squating, and groaning since then , almost everyday. So have I lost a pound? Not one. I have firmed up, added inches to my arms, but I still way as much as a offensive lineman.

My appetite has increased, but I am burning it off as soon as I eat it. So.... am I dieting. Yep. It just ain't workin'.

Guess I will try that water thing.... It seems to work for Patty.
Hawby

Missin' loggin', but luvin' the steady check...

Ernie

If I dieted (successfully)  I'd have to start walking down hills, the way I am now, I just tuck in my arms and legs and roll :D :D :D :D

Paschale

That Atkins thing works.  I lost 65 pounds on that.  But if you even LOOK at a cookie, or a cake, or anything with flour or sugar, you're gonna balloon right back up, and forget about the beer.   ::)  I've gained about half of that since Thanksgiving.   ::)  It's pretty DanG hard to jump back on the bandwagon, and it's very restrictive, but it really works, at least to get the pounds off.  I'm trying my hand at it again.  Gotta fit back into my clothes!   ;)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Patty

This whole dieting thing is such a DRAG.  :(
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Thank You Sponsors!