iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Asy's Dibbler...

Started by asy, April 17, 2005, 04:33:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

asy

Hey Guys!

I started having turning lessons a year and a half ago, then I got too busy :(

Well, yesterday I bit the bullet and got back on the lathe!

Andrew's dad is teaching me, it's great!

He's so cool, and so good at it, and best of all, he's patient! (Which, trust me, is a good thing!)

Here's what I made yesterday! It's a Dibbler !!!   ( for making holes in the garden to plant seeds).

Now, when commenting, please remember that this is only the second thing I've made (other than some turning excercises). And yes, I know I need more practice...

I'm just really proud of my little achievement!

asy :D

Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

LIL

Asy,

Not to take away from your great work - its a stunning piece.  BUT I really like that background - thats a nice piece of tie dye :D

If thats your second attempt I say watch out Woodturners - Asy's about. :)
Hobbies and Interests  

Interests revolve around my partners love of sawmills! - Hence being his NUMBER ONE OFFLOADER - Myself - I like the smell of sawdust. If I had my choice I would have BIG MACHINERY - who wouldn't want their own combine harvester and an 18 wheeler (Scania)

asy

Thanks HEAPS Lil!!!

Yeah, the Tie Dye was my other little effort of yesterday!!!

It's 6m of ecru natural cotton, with broderie eyelets through it, but it was a little 'see through' in natural, so a few rubber bands and a pot of purple dye... and Voilois! Ready to make into dresses for myself and the little lady of the house!   ;D

Might even be some left over for Cushions. It's always good when yer clothes match the furnishings...   :-\

asy :D :D :D

LIL

Hey Asy,

You've just given me a great idea of something I can do with the "kids" (we are supposed to call them children) at work.  They will love it - and whats more we have heaps of Purple Dye - and many other colours and the family corner furnishings could do with a bit of a spruce up to boot!  They are always proud of their work when they accomplish something.
Hobbies and Interests  

Interests revolve around my partners love of sawmills! - Hence being his NUMBER ONE OFFLOADER - Myself - I like the smell of sawdust. If I had my choice I would have BIG MACHINERY - who wouldn't want their own combine harvester and an 18 wheeler (Scania)

asy

Quote from: LIL on April 17, 2005, 05:46:25 AM
Hey Asy,

You've just given me a great idea of something I can do with the "kids" (we are supposed to call them children) at work.  They will love it - and whats more we have heaps of Purple Dye - and many other colours and the family corner furnishings could do with a bit of a spruce up to boot!  They are always proud of their work when they accomplish something.

They sure are!!!

I have had a devil of a time recently where my kids kept throwing the doona covers off their Doonas (I think they are 'quilts' in usa)...  Just couldn't keep them on! And so I ended up with white icky doonas on their beds all the time.

Drove me DanG near NUTS!

So...

I bought a pot of pink dye, and a pot of orange dye...  And got the kids to each help me with their doonas. The girl now has a pink doona, and the boy has an orange one!!!  (Their respective favourite colours).  Oh, AND pillows to match!!!

Well, if ya can't beat 'em, join 'em!

Roxie

Asy, that dibbler is a fine work of art!   :)  I'm impressed!!   :D
Here's a "way to go" for ya!   8)
Say when

sawguy21

Good work asy 8). That is something I have never tried.
I
Quote from: asy on April 17, 2005, 05:26:05 AM

Might even be some left over for Cushions. It's always good when yer clothes match the furnishings... :-\

(I hope I did this quote thing right) I once went to dinner at a distant cousins home. They were quite wealthy and his wife liked to show it. It was my first (and only) time in their home and I was taken aback. They had white carpet, French provincial furniture in mauve and she was wearing a mauve gown to match with a tiara!! All this for a family dinner. ::) Quite a show for a farm girl from the hamlet of Meeting Creek. She kinda forgot her roots. 
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Roxie

Well, she spent all her money on a tiara....that "roots" problem can cost up to $80!   :D
Say when

tnlogger

asy good looking piece of work there  8) next thing ya know you'll be turning dem bowls.
gene

Texas Ranger

Asy, my wife has taken a fancy to the lathe as well, comparing it to her love of the potters wheel.  Went to a wood show a couple of weeks back and she bought her own turning tools, mine must have had to much testosteron on them or something.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Part_Timer

Asy that is real nice.

YOu should try turning an ink pen.  It is no harder than what you have already done.  My wife is turning them now and only has been turning for 3 months.  I figure at this rate I'll never get my shop back :D 

Keep up the good work
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Timburr

Asy

Are you telling 'porky pies' (lies)?.... Are you sure that's your first work of art?...That looks like the work of a seasoned professional!! ;D :) ;D      Out standing. 8) 8)   
Sense is not common

MemphisLogger

Thanks Asy!  >:(

Now I have a dibbler on my honey-do list  ;D

I bet those would sell like hotcakes at a garden show.  :)
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

Ernie

Bonzer dibbler Asy, What's the wood and the finish?

Ernie
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

asy

Wowwee!

Thanks heaps for all your comments guys, they sure are appreciated!

Timburr, no, it's the second thing I've made. I did also make a tiny little spinning top for Andrew. He calls it his 'executive toy' and plays with it on his desk..  hehe

UL...  Best idea...  Teach your wife to turn, then she can make one herself! Much more fun!!

I've got an idea to make a few and see how they go at markets, but next one I make I'll cut inch graduations in the side.

Ernie, the wood's Meranti, and the finish is simple linseed oil.

P-T, could you post a photo of your wife's work???  I'd sure love to see it!

TN, Bowls are my nirvana. But Andrew's dad says I have to learn spindle work first, then I can get onto faceplate work, and he's the boss.   ;D

Tex, I can imagine this would be like pottery. Only less messy! And much more fun. I've done pottery, and this is much better! It's just so cool turning a block of nothing into something. I love it.

I aspire to having my own lathe and tools.

Thanks for your kind words Sawguy and Roxie!!!!!

sigidi

Great Stuff Asy,

I've been away awhile cutting like a demon in Brissy, but it looks like you have been really busy too.

Well I also now have a good one to add to the list of not so expensive thingo's to do with some offcut timber.

Great stuff Asy
Always willing to help - Allan

Part_Timer

Thought, that I would do this myself since he thinks that I have all the time in the world.  :D
I order the stuff to turn pens for Christmas presents for the family. (They are so hard to buy for) Then he turned my good idea into a somewhat business. I have turned so many pens already and everyone wants me to turn them for their Christmas I do not know if I will get mine done?
They are quit easy if you have turning basics. I have gotten to where I can turn 10 pen or pencils in a day start to finish. Just putting a whole day in the shop throws my whole schedule off thought but who needs to eat supper. It is just some much darn fun. 
By the way your piece is AWSOME 8). Some days I wish that I could go back to turning bowls and things maybe someday.
I also have instruction for this really cool birdhouse ornament I would like to do. Just have not had the time for that either.
Good luck in your future turning. Look forward to seeing them ::).
Part Timers Wife

To everyone on the forum:
It is really get to see all the women on here and that you all accept them. I run into a lot of people that just don't understand that women like wood too and not just to look at as they buy a nice piece of furniture.
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

UNCLEBUCK

That is great asy , that is one great looking dibbler !  ;)  I never been close to a lathe so it will be fun to watch your future projects .   Part Timer those are nice looking too.
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

tnlogger

parttimers wife those are good looking pieces   8) and yes we do  respect all of the ladys on here. :)

as most of us men know who the real Boss in in the family. ;D
gene

CHARLIE

Asy, you are well on your way to being an excellent woodturner.  That is a nice job you did on the dibbler and be sure to keep it because it will always be special.  You did a real nice bead at the top of the handle and a nice bit of work keeping the lines straight.  Nice cone!  Andrew is right about learning spindle turning first. Spindle turning is much more complicated than bowl turning, but spindle turning skills are used in bowl turning.  Get the spindle gouges down first and then get Andrew to help you learn to use the skew.

Thanks for sharing your woodturning!  I hope you keep sharing your work with us. :)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

asy

Thanks HEAPS for all your comments everyone, they sure are welcome!!!

Mrs P-T, they are GREAT looking pens, thanks for sharing the photo.

You should get yourself a login, the guys on here are fantastic. I've grown quite fond of the lot of them.

Buck, I'm hoping to meet up with Sigidi in the next day or so, and maybe talk him out of a couple of bits of limb, so I can turn them!!!

Charlie! Thanks heaps for your kindness, I am having a great time reading your website! Andrew's Dad is a good teacher. That Dibbler was roughed out with a gouge, then finished off with a skew. It was very difficult as the timber had a very open grain, and I kept bouncing. Don't forget this is the first thing I've turned in a year and a half, and as I said, the second real thing overall. I was supposed to be turning beads, but when I did the first one, the rest of the dibbler just sort of fell out of the tools...  :D

Dad came across and looked and said... Hmm... not many beads there, still, looks OK. Then gave me a few pointers on what I was doing right and wrong, and off I went. Sanded to finish and he helped cut the pointy end off. Then it was oiled and done!

It's just so much fun. I can't wait to get back on the lathe. Probably a good thing I don't have one at home yet or I wouldn't get anything done!!!  ;D

My next project will be a set of tall Salt and Pepper shakers...  Can't wait!

Patty

Pretty cool stuff there you guys. Keep up the good work, and keep posting those pictures! They are inspiring for us wanna-be's.  8)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

beenthere

Asy
Very nice work, but just a teaser of things to come, I'm sure. 8)

Some picture or two of the 'turner turning' so we can see the setup would be great. Please.   eh?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!