iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Trout Fishing Season Opens Today

Started by SwampDonkey, April 15, 2005, 07:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Trout fishing is something I haven't done in years since the bag limit was lowered from 30, then 15, then 5 fish in your posession. I can't immagine going on a fishing trip f0r 5 fish under a foot in length.  :-\

http://www.gnb.ca/0078/index-e.asp

Read the new 2005 angling summary above for regulations in your area.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Pete J

da season fur Connecticut starts tommorow.

da whole ting has become somewhat of a joke. da state stocks a bunch of lakes and streams. den all da once a year fishermen come out and catch their limit of farm raised fish until there are none left fur da rest of da season. der are just way too many people and too few fish ta support dem.

fur me, fishing means spending a lazy day in a boat with a cooler and some lotion. By making da idea of catching fish optional, you can still have a good day.

tnlogger

around here they have one stream they stock. when they pull up to dumb the fish the banks are lined
on both sides with fishermen  :D :D  it just seams odd that everyone know the date when it's not published.
gene

Phorester

Several years ago Virginia did away with their traditional trout season.  Now it's in all year around.  Haven't heard how the Game Commission feels about it, but they must like it, since it's still how it's done.

chet

Well folks you could always come to Michigan. The fine state of Michigan has seen fit to offer non residents their trout stamp 5 dollars cheaper than I as a resident can purchase one.  ::)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

asy

Quote from: Chet on April 15, 2005, 09:37:41 PM
Well folks you could always come to Michigan. The fine state of Michigan has seen fit to offer non residents their trout stamp 5 dollars cheaper than I as a resident can purchase one.  ::)

You're KIDDING?!

Um, don't you pay rates (homeowner tax I think you call it) in Yooperland???

Shouldn't that mean you get the discount!?

That's just rude and a slap in the face for residents.

asy  >:(
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Jeff

Well, technically its true.  In Michigan you can either buy a restricted license($15.00), meaning you can can fish for certain species, namely trout. Or, you can buy an "all species" license($28.00), and fish for anything.  You can also by the restricted, and later, buy an upgrade (13.00) to make it an unrestricted "all species".  But you CANT buy just the upgrade. You cant fish for just trout.

Non-resident restricted licenses are priced considerably higher then residential licenses ($34.00). Its the upgrades that cost a non-resident less($8.00), however, you cant have the upgrade without the restricted license first. 

SO....

Unrestricted license residence:$28.00
Unrestricted Non-residence:$42.00
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

UNCLEBUCK

Swamp Donkey you better go give it a try . I bet where you are is a awesome place to fish no matter what the limit .  We got a 5 trout limit here and the d.n.r stocks little 50 acre lakes and its fun . Hasnt opened yet. Sucker spearing opens May 1st here but the ice just went off the lakes 6 days ago so I think the suckers be gone by the time it opens.
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

old3dogg

I quit fishing when I was 8.
On the "first day of the season" I guess I started a little to early and started fishing before the "legal" time. The "game commision" [what a silly joke!!!] saw it fit enough to fine a 8 year old kid 48 bucks because he started fishing before the "season" started! That really left a bad taste in my mouth. They can keep their darn old farm raised trout that I can buy at the store for a whole lot cheaper than a fishing license that supports their stupid waste of tax money jobs!!!

SwampDonkey

Fishing used to be really good here untill greedy people kept catching a freezer full with anything they could place into the water (jigs, nets) :(. I used to be able to catch trout right off the side of the road in the darkest waters ya ever saw. One time I was amazed I could catch trout out of a bull dozed ditch that was fed by springs that spilled over into a brook. The trout came up the spill water in the spring into that ditch and couldn't get out after the season got dryer. I've seen some pretty big brookies in old beaver ponds and deep stream pools. Last year I think the record brookie was 7 lbs. Most of the trout, even years ago, were under 14 inches and by the thousands. Every little trickle of water has fish, not so now. I can remember fishing in some shallow lakes and at the ned of the day your hook was bare as the trout had eaten off all the artificial fly. They were so hungry thay where biting the bare hook afterwards. :D There's bee too much pressure and over fishing. That 5 fish doesn't stop a criminal.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

CHARLIE

Ya gotta watch out for serious trout fishermen. They are shifty characters. :D

Outlaw blows himself up
Fri Apr 8,10:23 AM ET 

TIRANA (Reuters) - Albania's most wanted man fought off special police and eluded capture for years only to blow himself up while fishing with dynamite, police and newspapers say.

Dubbed the "Last Cowboy" in northern Albania because of his gunfights with the law, Riza Malaj, 34, failed to accurately gauge the length of the fuse as he tried to blow up trout.

Doctors at the Bajram Curri hospital said he had lost both hands, badly hurt his eyes and suffered serious wounds all over his body. His family rejected offers to have him flown to a Tirana hospital where he would have been arrested immediately.

Malaj was taken to a hospital in nearby U.N.-governed Kosovo.

He was sentenced in absentia to five years in jail on charges of leading an attack on the Bajram Curri police station last year. Since 2000, warrants have been issued for Malaj's arrest on charges of wilful murder, armed robbery, armed assault and battery of the education directress of the town.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Ernie

When I was a kid in Ontario, we used worms for bait for trout.  here in NZ this is illegal,  Can you still do it there?

Ernie
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

SwampDonkey

You can until July first on inland waters and all season (April 15- Sept 30) on international waters. Such as any brook that crosses from Maine into New Brunswick or vise versa. It varies by region though, have to check out the summary for the area your going to fish.

Ernie

Thanks SwampDonkey

I was just curious.  I learned of the illegality of any live bait for trout here when I was teaching my kids to fish and met my first game warden >:( >:(

Ernie
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

gary

This is the first time in 30 years that I have not gone trout fishing in Pa. The fish commision lowered the limit from 8 to 5 acouple of years ago . Now they want $21.00 for a licence and $10.00 for a trout stamp and another $10.00 to fish in Lake Erie. THAT IS TO MUCH TO PAY , TO GO CATCH FISH THAT THEY SAY YOU CAN ONLY EAT ONE MEAL A WEEK OF. :-[ :'( >:( :(

Ernie

Wow can you fish in lake Erie?  It wasn't very long ago that it was thick enough to walk on

Furby

Lake Erie has had a remarkable come back from what it once was.
A large part of it has to do with the zebra mussels though.  :-\

From what I know of it, it is a pretty awesome fishery!  8)

asy

Why can't you fish using worms for bait!?   ???

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Furby

Not fair sport! ::) ::) ::)

No really, the fish are more likely to swallow the hook and become gut hooked, rather then just hooked in the lip. It can be pretty damaging to a fish to remove a hook from the gut, and I don't consider leaving it in much better.
The problem comes when you gut hook an under size fish.

Pete J

My kids were all excited to go so we went to the local fishing hole. It was a shoulder to shoulder nightmare. No a fish to be seen. And bags of Fast food garbage everywhere. We put the poles back in the truck and picked up the garbage instead. My kids looked up at me with a disappointed look, but knew that picking up the garbage was the right thing to do at the time.

We went home and had a baseball catch instead. Much more fun!

Ernie

Why do people dump their rubbish in all the beautiful places?  Ever thought of collecting it,  getting their license plate number, doing a trace and dumping in their own yard :D :D :D

SwampDonkey

Tim Hortans decided to switch from a foam cup to a paper cup a couple years ago because the ditches around towns where polluted with styrofoam. Once in awhile I see some of their cups in the dutch up here and I'm 40 minutes from the closest Tim's. Some people will drive miles for that stuff, not me. You should see the cups at construction sites as well.  Too much run'n for coffee and not enough work being done. ::)

Thank You Sponsors!