iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mile Marker winch

Started by Rod, April 15, 2005, 07:53:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rod

Where is the best place to buy one.And what do I need to run the hoses to the back of the to hook it up to the trailer?Iwas looking at the 9000mile marker winch.

sprucebunny

Dis Yooper got one a month or so ago from these people.
Arrived quick. ;D

http://www.ntwonline.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=48&Product_ID=1352&CATID=14

You will need a couple hoses run to the back and a wire.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

DanG

Rod, I got mine through Harbor Freight a couple of years ago. I don't know if they still carry them. Check their website at   www.harborfreight.com

The winch wasn't in their printed catalog.  They'll ask you what kind of truck you have, and send the appropriate kit to hook it up.  If you want to extend it to the rear of the truck, you'll have to have the hoses made.  Check with your local tractor dealer for that.

When you install it, be sure it is anchored to the frame of the truck.  Any other way and you'll rip your truck apart. :o
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

johnjbc

I went to the Mile Marker site and looked for their dealers. http://www.milemarker.com/buy.html
You can also find dealers by doing a search on EBAY. Make sure you call around and check prices they vary quite a bit. As for the hoses Mile Marker supplies the dealers with kits made up with hoses, connectors, and fittings for front or rear mounting.
http://www.milemarker.com/winch-accessories.html
LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

Dan_Shade

check out www.summitracing.com  that's where I bought mine, you pay $8 for handling, and they pay the shipping.  Shipping will get you on a winch.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Ironwood

Just to satisfy my curiosity, are  you folks prefering these Mile Markers due to the availability of the hydro vs. say Warn or Ramsey which I believe only sell electrics? Just thought I'd ask.

REID
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

DanG

Reid, for my part, yes.  The MileMarker hydraulic is many times more winch for the same money.  You can run it all day long, as long as the truck is running.  There is simply not an electric that can keep up with it.  It isn't for the guy that just wants something on his truck in case he get's stuck. He can get away with a $200 or $300 jobby for that.  The MM is a serious piece of work equipment.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Rod

so whats the differents between the model 70 and the 75?

I don't get it...Looks like the 70 model is the better deal,but I'm not sure cause the look the same to me ,all but price that is.

sprucebunny

Not sure but I think the difference is "Power in and out" on the model 75

http://www.milemarker.com/winch-9.html

I chose hydraulic because it works longer with less heat build up and I had hydraulic circuits available.

Rod

so what is the power out used for.Looks like to me like most winchs you just take it out of gear and pull the cable out and then you put it back in gear and winch the cable back in.

I don't get what the power out is for.

sprucebunny

You MIGHT have an occasion where you needed to lift something and then let it down gently...say the butt of a hung up tree or a stuck vehicle on a steep incline.
Just seemed to me that it offered more control of various situations.
;D

Rod

ok,I think I'll get the 75 from these guys then  Truck addons

Rod

And the out feed would be good for when you unnload a car from a trailer too.You wont need anyone in the car with there foot on the brake

Rod

so am I paying to much?

M207550085C Mile Marker Winch $674.95  ea. 1  $674.95         change qty

M20XXXX Mile Marker Winch Valve Adapter Kit $233.57  ea. 1  $233.57         change qty

truck addons

johnjbc

The difference is in where the valve is located. In one model it is on the winch on the other you mount it under the hood. You need to do this if you want to move it between the front and rear. In that case you use the Tee in the rear mount kit to run hoses both ways. I will try to take some pictures to day

DanG

Rod, in my opinion, power out is essential on any vehicle mounted winch.  There is a major safety issue involved, which prevents the necessity to suddenly drop a load when you just need a little slack in the cable.  It is also a convenience feature, so you can control the cable length with the remote.  You have to be physically at the winch to kick it out of gear.  I wouldn't own a winch without power reverse.

Fla._Deadheader

Biggest reason I can think of, is, when the cable gets "tensioned" under another, and you can't pull the cable off the spool. Power out will give leverage for prying that stuck cable out from under another.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

DanG

Using the DanG-Deadheader log loading deevice would be pretty exciting without "power out", wouldn't it?

Fla._Deadheader

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Rod

so is it easy to hook up?

johnjbc

Here are some pictures of my Mile Marker installation
First is the control valve that is on the firewall under the hood. It is plumbed in between the power steering pump and the steering gear. In the inactive                                                  state fluid goes through it right to the steering gear. When you push the in or out switch fluid it is diverted to run the winch. The output ports go to tees, one side to the front and the other to the rear.

This is the control switch. 

Here is where it plugs in. When I get time I plan to move this inside the cab out of the weather

Mounted on the front.

And if I need to load something on the trailer I move it to the rear.

The difference between the 70 and 75 is the control valve. The 75 comes with it mounted on the winch. The model 70 is cheaper but you need the mounting kit containing the valve.
As for how hard it is to do. I spent a couple days on it including a trip to the junk yard when the steering gear fitting twisted off. Not anything real hard once you have done one.

Rod

Thanks for the photos,that helps alot

Rod

looks like it would be kind of hard to winch something on to the trailer with the winch line being so low.

Hokiemill

Rod,

Here's a posting I put out a while back.  Gives you a couple more pictures of a milemarker installation.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=10060.0

I haven't run hoses around to the back yet, but I plan on doing that at some point.

slowzuki

The power out is good say if you wedge something tight, even as simple as say the hook into the fairlead.  Under load it is darn near impossible to shift the winch to free spool.

Thank You Sponsors!