iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Biggest tree you've cut down?

Started by logger, April 15, 2005, 05:07:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logger

I was just wondering how big of a tree you have cut down?  Biggest I've cut was a 5 foot across one. 8)
220 Poulan            Future Saws         
Stihl MS280             Jonsered CS2171              
Stihl MS440 Magnum Husky 575XP  
Stihl MS460 Magnum   Dolmar PS-7900
Husky 385xp            Stihl MS361  Stihl MS441 Magnum
Stihl 066 Magnum       Stihl MS660 Magnum

Kevin

I've cut them well over a hundred feet.   ;D

ronwood

Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Paschale

them there trees are biguns!  That's a little Yooper for ya!
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Sawyerfortyish

Bigest oak I cut was 56" on the little end at 21' Had to cut it in half so the old 230TJ could pull it out of were it was. The biggest Hemlock I cut was 118' long still over a foot in dia and had 456 growth rings that I could count in the butt.  Don't remember the diameter. The 230 pulled that one out full length down hill.

Part_Timer

cut a 54dbh mullberry that was 25'tall

cut a black walnut 35dbh 55'tall

Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

maple flats

Biggest I've done so far is a 5' silver maple, had major limbs all over. ;D 8)
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Ed_K

66" hard maple with a 20" bar  :o. I'll just say it had a heavy notch  :D. We had cordwood from that tree for 3 yrs.
Ed K

Arthur

Personally felled a 48", wedger with an 80".  40m an 60m respectivly.

milled where thry fell

arthur

Tom

I walked across a 12+ foot wide cypress stump that someone in the 1800's cut down.  I found it one day as I was walking in the swamp.   Standing on it was close enough to cutting it down for me. ;D :D

Frank_Pender

Frank Pender

chet

Quote from: Kevin on April 15, 2005, 05:33:24 PM
I've cut them well over a hundred feet. ;D

I'm wit ya Kevin.    ;D   Somehow they can seem a lot bigger when yer butt is tied to um and it's a long way to da ground.  :)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

OLD_ JD

i dont no what was the size of that hemlok but toke me more than one gaz thank to limp the son of... :o ;D
canadien forest ranger

etat

Five and a half foot red oak out of a front Yard in Ripley back in the late 70's.  With a old homelite with a 16 inch bar.  We'd done already had all he limbs cut back down to the main trunk. Notched it and cut as much as we could, and finshed chopping out the notches  with an ax and finished cutting er down with a Crosscut saw that we'd borowed the day before.  :)

Most of it we'd cut up into firewood but we couldn't figure out what to do with the dang thing once we got that trunk on the ground.  We finally cut it up in blocks and they sent me to see if I could bribe some of the city workers into helpin us out.  (Part of it was laying in the edge of the street).  I found the right guy to bribe ;D and pretty quick we had us a front end loader and a truck there.  We'd chain them chunks to that front end loader bucket, and it was all it could do to struggle em into the back of that truck.  They hauled em to the dump fer us.  :)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

UNCLEBUCK

Holy cow you people are animals !  I thought I had a big braggin tree of 34 inch ash and that was at the bell of the butt . 
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

skidderman

the biggest tree I cut was 6 foot across the stump,using a 28inch bar,it was white fir in arizona,it scaled out at 6,000 bdft scribner scale

Daren

I was wondering the same thing, I have never cut down a big tree (probably never will) I walk the timber looking for big trees, just to wonder what they have seen. (and I cut the little ones under 36" so I can get them on my mill)
I caught a show the other night on History Channel about loggers during the "Gold Rush" who spent 14 days making the stump cut on the biggest redwood they could find. When she fell, it exploded with force of its mass hitting the ground, 80% was splinters. I did some checking before I posted on the "General Sherman" in Sequoia National Park. Its 35' dbh and still 17' at 130' at the first limb. This part blew my mind, the first limb is larger that any tree east of the Mississippi !!! Its bark is 4' thick and has 600,000 bft of lumber. Some day I plan a trip out there. General Sherman was already 700 years old the day Christ was born.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

redpowerd

those are some cool stats, daren. thanks.
id love to make it out to see them biguns.
do they make em bigger? :D
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

thecfarm

I cut a 6 ft pine and it was a ulgy looking thing.But I cheated.I have a Husky with a 28 inch bar on it. Had to fall it down a small knoll and we had to roll it up the knoll.We couldn't pull it up the normal way.We really had a time with it.We only have a 42 hp tractor.This went for a grade of wood called pallet pine.The sawmill makes windows frames out of it.Cut out the clearwood and dovetail it together and yes,there were limbs that were 6-8 inches through and it would take more than a tank of gas to get them limbed.We even sold them 3-4 crothes and they bought them.But they did cut us of from selling crothes to them.My father couldn't believe they bought them,even though the trucker said they would.Most of the butt logs was to big to get through the debarker,so they had a couple high school kids to peel it by hand.They rebuilt the mill and they can't take anything bigger than 42 inches now.My Dad and me chased down most of the scrub pine and sold them. He always said,"You can sell good logs anytime,bad logs are harder to get rid of".We got $190 a 1000.These logs were ulgy,ulgy.My father came from the old school and every load he would say,I can't believe they take this stuff AND pay us for it"
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

timberjack240

mine was about an 8in hemlock i cut outta the way  ;D im not supposed to cut down trees but stuff like that i could cut with a  handsaw so i figured what the heck  ;D not only that i dont have time to cut down trees pap does it and keeps me plenty busy  ;D

Kirk_Allen

With a Chain Saw: 56" American Elm with a 28" bar on a Husky 372 XP.  Outside bark measured 64" at the stump.  I got 7-Ten foot logs out of the main tree before the first branch!

With an Axe: 42" Hard Maple.  Took me 6 hours and I did it ALL with an axe.  Lets just say I was a little younger and dumber ;D  It was three years ago :D

Just had to see if I had it in me ;D

Ironwood

I cut a hollow Curly Spaulted Hard Maple off a construction site that was slightly more than 12' in circumfrence. Scared me to death, I was a liitle in over my head. Cut several egress paths downhill away from the lean. I cut it with a 394XP with a 32" bar. At the first movement as was off and running (left the saw behind) couldn't stop at hte end of the trail and ended up in a brush pile. I was still shaking several hours later from the adrenaline rush. The wood was very cool. The same site also gleaned a Curly Walnut, fortunately I had saved a big crotch from it to slice. I didn't know of the curl until we milled it, Walnut is elusive that way. So I ended up with these 46" wide curled and feathered crotches. Just delivered the first of the tables made from it. Very nice and rare. I don't know where you could find wood like that on the market today, and I know of most of the unique wood sources around the country.

REID

I also cut a Red Oak windfall from a ravine near our house in 1998 w/ a 6' bar on the 394. The final cut from the root ball was around 60"+. The tree was on a hill and when finally cut free it took off very very quickly to the bottom of the ravine. We drug it with  a Cat crawler highlift and a Komatsu dozer cabled together, as I needed a 40' butt log for a bartop.

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

pigman

With a chainsaw, about a 48 in red oak at the butt. With C-4 explosives, a 50 in teak at the butt. The teak went down quicker, but the the butt had a lot of splinters. :o
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Engineer

Since I'm not "in the business", I try to avoid big trees.  I'm aiming for my biggest one yet, though - a 34" dbh black cherry with a veneer-grade 20' long butt log.    It's on a building lot and the tree has to come down to fit all the house/septic/well/driveway stuff on it.  I get the tree in trade for the design work.

Otherwise, biggest one yet has been a 29" cherry that I cut for my own house site.  The tree yielded about 1000 bf of really fine boards that will be my new kitchen cabinets and some furniture.

Timburr

A 42" dbh old growth ash (342yrs) in an ancient hedgerow in the middle of a forest. Not big by a lot of your standards, but has an intrigueing story to tell ???

I started felling this huge monarch and BANG!! >:(      Checked the saw and 5 cutters missing, Dang big piece of metal in tree. :'(     Sorted the saw out and felled the tree cutting 18" higher up to clear metal. OK so far    :)  2 weeks later, because the tree was at the side of a ride we'd excavated out, I cut it off flush to the ground to tidy the stump up. Then I threw the ring into the firewood pile and forgot about it .

A year or so later I had  a firewood splitting session and rediscovered this old ring. Curiosity got the better of me, to find out what had wrecked the chain ???  I proceeded to split and BANG :( >:( :'(   More Dangs!! Bust a big chunk of the splitting wedge. :(   Luckily the hydraulics and ram were OK.

I split the remainder by hand and found an old blacksmith forged gate hinge in it, and another,and another, and another, and would you believe another, I'm shocked now, and another and another. :o ??? :o ???  Yes, 7 gate hinges in total!  As the tree grew around each one, they made another and hammered it in. Wow. ??? ::) :o :( >:( ;D :D ;) :)
Sense is not common

Thank You Sponsors!