iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Huge Redwood Logs in the Sea

Started by billwarren, June 11, 2002, 02:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billwarren

I am going to try to find 9 huge redwood logs that sank in the sea off the Calif. coast in the 1930's. Each log measures 24 ft. in diameter and 60 ft. long. The value is said to be around $2 million. Anyone interested in joining our treasure hunt contact us at (phone number edited out by admin) anytime.

Ron Scott

Are they in California waters? Or don't you know yet.
~Ron

CHARLIE

I would think those logs would have to be fairly deep where there wasn't much oxygen to be decent enough to salvage. You might want to contact the company that is taking old growth sunken logs from the late 1800's out of Lake Superior. He has learned how how to get them up, what needs to be done to dry them and saw them into boards.  I think he's getting $20 to $40 a board foot or more. His expertise might save you some time and money.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

woodman

I think i will sit this one out my LT30 onley cuts up to a 30 inch log.    8) 8) 8)
Jim Cripanuk

Jeff

Hate to be skeptical guys, but sounds like a ploy to get money. I will let this stand for now but billwarren better come back soon and give us some worth while info on this or this thread is history. For now I am deleting his phone number. If and when he comes back to tell us all about this and how "little this is going to cost you to become involved", I might consider letting him put a number back.

Mr Bill you have 2 days starting now.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Wenrich

The General Sherman sequoia is 30.7 ft in diameter at its base, 27.4 ft at 8', and 17.5 ft at 60'  There are 9 of these trees? :D   Max dbh on redwood is 20'.  

How did they get into the ocean?  You couldn't raft them down a river, or load them on a truck or train.  Mighty strange.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Ron Scott

Jeff & Ron,

Glad that you caught on to this quickly as something "fishy".
I've been in the underwater salvage business and still consult in it some. I'm sure that the State of California would lay first claim to any such trees/logs "that size".

Michigan has stopped any further Underwater Log Salvage at present pending further studies on the impact to the underwater ecosystems from "sunken log" removals.

Wisconsin and Minnesota have been active in it.
~Ron

Jeff

I'll send the guy an email. Bet it comes back undeliverable. If not, maybe he can drop by here and answer questions. If not, this is what it appears and I will delete his membership but leave this thread for reference to this type of thing.

Ron Wenrich

It occured to me that I recently got an e-mail from a Dr. Tom Eke from Nigeria.  He wanted me to deposit $31 million in a bank account, and he would pay me 20% to do this.

Now, if Mr. Warren and Dr. Eke would get together, it would solve both of their problems.   ;)

The General Sherman weighs 6,000 tons (probably more since it's an older book.)  How much would that 60' log weigh?  30,000 bf, Doyle scale   :o

Tom

I figure it wouldn't weigh too much.  Have you ever heard of ship worms?  They are death on wood and I've not heard of any species that is immune.   The wooden ships of old would seek fresh water frequently to try to kill them before their ship disintegrated under their feet. :D

JoeyLowe

:o I have to agree with Ron on this one.  I too have a lot of experience dealing with underwater lumber salvage operations.  What was happening at Lake Superior was that the logs were being surfaced using balloons and immediately loaded onto rail cars where most, if not all were being shipped to South America where they were being milled and then shipped to Europe.  I know this because I wrote the insurance on most of the companies in the food chain.  I also know that there was alot of irreparable damage done to the underwater eco-system and one of the larger diving companies, Superior, I believe, was forced to shut down behind the lawsuits.  Anyway, kind of reminds of a funny cartoon I saw in one of the diving trade magazines.  It showed these two divers swimming in the dark waters of Lake Superior.  They were swimming through an underwater forest.  Behind a tree was a bear in scuba gear.  One diver looks over at the other diver and says, "Did you hear something?"  It was pretty funny.
--
Joey Lowe

"Working towards perfection has to be a part of anything one does.  You've got to put yourself into it." ... Sam Maloof (chairmaker)

Ron Scott

Yes, the worms really get to the wood in the salt waters. That's why the log salvage is in the great lakes where the cold fresh waters don't support wood worms.

That's why the wooden shipwrecks are still well preserved in the Great Lakes, and why one usually only finds the ballast stones in the salt water wrecks. Along with any of the gold and silver cargo treasures of course. ;)
~Ron

Ron Wenrich

I remember reading that they salvaged some timber out of the bay around Boston.  It was about 25 years ago.  White pine had been recovered and believed to had sunk in the 1830s.

The reason for the preservation was due to the cold waters.  No wood worms in the cold water?

I also saw a salvage on TV about a pirates ship that sank off the coast of Texas during a hurricane.  I believe it dated to the 18th century.  They actually made a dike around the wreck and pumped the water out.  

There were planks that they found.  They had to be emerged into cold water to keep from rapid deterioration.  I believe the mud preserved them.  No wood worms in the silt?

Bro. Noble

Ron W.

Shame on you!!!!

Dr. Eke plainly said in his e-mail to me to keep this a secret.

milking and logging and sawing and milking

Ron Wenrich

Informative links.  I wasn't aware what they were.

Now, if we could get some land based ones, we could get rid of a lot of unwanted sawdust and slab piles.   :D

Reg

It is at least conceivable and might be practical, though the story might well have "developed" over the years.  You would need to know a lot about the currents in the area as well as the bouyancy of redwood in salt water that has been down that long.  The more bouyant the easier to lift  ;), but the more likely it is to have shifted  :'(

Jeff

I wrote the gentleman a note, and got no reply. While this is a romantic type of story that made us all sit back and wonder how and why and where and what if, my believe is the post was made to get you to call that phone number which I deleted.  Could have been as simple as one of those off shore phone numbers that charge you $50 a minute.

CHARLIE

DanG and I wrote him a check for a million dollars too. It's getting so a man can't believe everything anymore. :-/
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

HORSELOGGER

Great Jeff,     Now what am I gonna do with the snorkels and flipper shoes I had the team fitted up for? ;D
Heritage Horselogging & Lumber Co.
"Surgical removal of standing timber, Leaving a Heritage of timber for tommorow. "

CHARLIE

Hey Horselogger! I'd like to see a picture of that! Your horses outfitted in masks, snorkels and flippers.... ;D ;D
Charlie

DanG

Hey Charlie!  Since ol' Bill doesn't seem to be available to benefit from your kind benevolence, you could send that mil down here to help out with my swamp cypress recovery project. We ain't got permission to haul it out, but most of the Sheriffs hereabouts can be had for less than that. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Bro. Noble

Boy what a bunch of chumps you are fallen for that sunken treasure story.

I'm no idiot,  Dr. Eke said for 10,000 he would make me a multimillionaire.  I wasted no time in sending him half interest in my $20,000 birddog.

Kevin

It`s the old redwood log in the sea trick.  ;D

Reg

Return the masks, fins and snorkels.
I will provide the dive team, just find the logs.
Oh yes, a few 30 ton lift bags would help.

\R

Tillaway

Oh NOOOOO!!!!!

Someone found my secret stash.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

J_T

I would like to trade him my under water chainsaw for an intrest can reach me at BR 549.
Jim Holloway

billwarren

I am on the road a few days and come back to see all you unbelievers. I also see that the man who seems to control this forum has insulted me. Taken my ph. # off. Ridiculas. GET IT RIGHT. THERE ARE 9 LARGE 24FT. DIA. 60 FT. REDWOODS LOGS IN THE SEA. HAVE I ASKED ANYONE FOR MONEY? NOPE.

Jeff

You all can be the judge from this reaction. Here is the note I sent to Mr. Warren last week, and here is his reply, folowed by my reply to him this morning.

We would like you to return to the Forestry Forum and explain your post on "Huge Redwood Logs in the Sea" . The consensus is that your post is at best "Fishy"  You can click here to return to your post.

I don't expect to hear from you again, but if you are legit we sure would like some more information because it would be a facinating story. But If your not on the up and up and you are trying to scam our membership, well I do have your I.P. address, login info, server log in time etc..., all I need to track you to your desk.

Jeff Brokaw
FORESTRY FORUM ADMIN

To: Jeff Brokaw
Sent: Tuesday, June 18, 2002 3:36 AM
Subject: Re: Huge Redwood Logs in the Sea

how dare you threaten me and insult me! take me off your *DanG list.

Bill Warren

Just as I thought, by your reaction.  You were not threatened. You were informed. If you were insulted by the fact that we try to protect our membership from elements that could disrupt our board then so be it.

It is a fact that phone numbers are posted on  boards that cause huge phone bills when called. they were placed there purely to get people to dial them for that reason. I will not take that chance with someone we know nothing about.

If you were what you said you were you would come to the board, laugh off our opinion and give us the scoop on your post. What you just did was reinforce my believe that this is not what it appears to be.

Bro. Noble

I tried to call him but information must have given me the wrong number:   the answering machine said I had reached the residence of Davey Jones.

Jeff

Mr Warren, as for removing you from the *DanG list, remove yourself. I didn't add you to it. You signed up here on your own. I will however tell you exactly how to do it.

Make sure you are logged in. Click on your profile button at the bottom of that screen. Click on delete member. Easy.

For other members, if the member status below a name on a post changes from "Member" to "Guest" that means that member was somehow removed from the members list.

Tillaway

Bill
I think maybe someone is yanking your chain about these logs.  A 24' by 60' Redwood log would have made the papers even back in 1930's let alone 9 of them.  The log lengths are not standard, ie. 16' would have been too large to move with equipment of that time let alone a 60 footer.  Also I have worked extensively in the Redwood belt and have never heard of the legend.  There are plenty of oldtimers left that would recall this.  Redwood is milled in the general area it is cut due to the difficulty of moving the big logs.  I have never heard of rafting or barging Redwood logs for milling outside of this region.

Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Gordon

Dang guys I just don't know, could be maybe and just might be. But I've never seen that Pacific ocean place, but what I understand it's purty darn big. Wouldn't the chance of finding those logs be pretty small at best. That is if they havent already floated to the other side of that Pacific ocean place.

Guess I'll have to take the ole Kubota and go a huntin some redwoods.

Seriously Bill if your the real deal then tell us about it. Don't get upset about the forum master looking out for the members. Glad he takes the time to do that. Look at it from the other side of the fence, you posted then nothing for a few days, then a short post. No real information one way or the other. So now do you see what he (the forum master) is looking at? Like I said tell us he real deal. If there is such a monster of a redwood out there good luck in finding it. Just how will you do that with the size of that Pacific ocean place?

Like I said tell us about it don't be all hostile. Prove the forum masters opinion of you wrong. Can ya?
Gordon

Jeff

This is too funny. Well guys, after last nights note, I amnot messing with this guy any more. I am deleting him.

Here is why.... (Something very, lets say different, aabout this guy.

You jerk. Insults again. It is what it is. I don't waste my time with untruths you bum. for your info, I am running for U.S. Congress in the 8th Dist. of Tenn. I run three co.'s. I don't have time to try to defend myself against obnoxious persons like you who seem to be interested in being negative about people. You remind me of a rude cop I once knew. Don't write me again.

Bill Warren

Jeff r iBrokaw <jeff@forestryforum.com> wrote:

Just as I thought, by your reaction.  You were not threatened. You were informed. If you were insulted by the fact that we try to protect our membership from elements that could disrupt our board then so be it.

It is a fact that phone numbers are posted on  boards that cause huge phone bills when called. they were placed there purely to get people to dial them for that reason. I will not take that chance with someone we know nothing about.

If you were what you said you were you would come to the board, laugh off our opinion and give us the scoop on your post. What you just did was reinforce my believe that this is not what it appears to be.

RavioliKid

What a hoot!

Bill makes me want to move to Tennessee - just to run against him! I'm sure I'd win. :D
RavioliKid

swampwhiteoak

Hey Bill,
I believe you.  All these other nonbelievers will be wishing they would have too when we get our big payday.  I've commissioned the local technical school to start building my submarine.  Should be in operation by the end of the week.  Early retirement here I come.

Oh yeah, the campaign contribution is in the mail.

CHARLIE

Just the kind of guy a government needs!  He'd probably raise taxes to invest in looking for those logs. ;D   I wonder if I can vote in Tennessee.  I hope you Tennesseans keep him down there. He probably doesn't know Minnesota exists, so don't tell him. Don't need him up here in our government. Besides, I'm not sure how long he'd last against our Pro Wrestler Guvn'r. :o
Charlie

ARKANSAWYER

We had a Bill here in Arkansas and sent him to the White house to get rid of him.  He  had a deal like this called White Water (which is about 10 miles from me) and it too smelled like a mackerel 3 days in the sun.
  But none the less I called and got my deposit back on the pontoon boat for the LT 40 and had the kids stop blowing up baloons.  I hear that some Duch man lost a gold mine in Arizona and I am ready to cut some timbers for it also.  I guess I will just have to go make money the old fashion way,,, Work!   :D
  ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Texas Ranger

Hmm, boy got testty, good ridance, and Tennessee wont vote for him.  Fred Thompson is the sort them Tar Heels like.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Kevin

Ron Scott

Will need to get the Canadian Navy and the Newt Suit like was done to remove the "bell" from the Edmond Fitzgerald off Whitefish Point.
~Ron

swampwhiteoak

*BUMP*

August 1st was a sad day for a former Forestry Forum member.  Yes, Bill Warren was defeated in his bid for the Republican nomination for the US House.  He recieved 44% of the vote.

http://cgi.tennessean.com/cgi-bin/election/20020801/election?request=ushou

No word if Bill is trying his luck as a write-in candidate.  Tennessee's 8th district is heavily Democratic.

Jeff

Swamp you are a dedicted son of a **** for sticking with our man Bill like this. Thanks for staying with this story!  I just want to take a moment and say...

THANK GOD THE SYSTEM WORKS!!

CHARLIE

It is disturbing that he got 44% of the vote. What the heck were those 44% thinking?  That's scary!!!  :-/
Charlie

Ron Wenrich

Doesn't say much about his competition, does it?

Tom

doesnt' say much for his supporters either.

Either 44%of the voters are con artists or masochists willing to be taken advantage of.  Just goes to show the power of speech (BS).  Sheep will follow a goat to the ends of the earth. :D

Fla._Deadheader

For shame, For shame. All you guys pickin on ole Bill Warren. If you had only taken the time to check him out, you would have discovered that he has masterminded some of the greatest Treasure hunting scams of all time. He has cost a lot of reputable treasure hunters their livlihood. I could go on and on, but, ole Bill might be watchin and end up sueing me. I do know guys that are waiting for him to return to Fl and show his face. Nice Guy, ::) ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Jeff

I wondered if you had heard of him Fla._Deadheader. He's my buddy. He just thinks I am, let me see if I can remember, A jerk!
 If you want to say Hi to him hes got a website. look for the appropriate thread in the full members section and tell us more.

Fla._Deadheader

I never met the man. I just know of several deals and my info comes from someone that nearly got took. Can't spread rumors. ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

OneWithWood

Well h**l Bill!  Don't let the door hit you in the a## on your way out!!
Jeff, thanks for lookin' out for us 8)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

shades

im new to the bourd but i'm glad jeffs looking out for us  ;)    if u got an attitude like that u cant be much to talk to. see ya bill dont come to kentucky!!!!!!!!!!! >:(
seeya guys . 8) 8) 8)

shades
Ben

Jeff

Like a bad penny this guy.  I was watching the news this morning, and up pops our old scam artist friend. This time he's getting international coverage. They had a video interview with him, but I can't find that on line anywhere. This guy is a real piece of work.

New York Post article.

Kansas

I see him trying to push all the right buttons. He doesn't trust the government or Obama. He is a patriotic American. Never mind burying him at sea was the best option.

Bet in a few months the story surfaces that he thinks he has found the body. Maybe a murky image of a bag on the bottom of the ocean.

ARKANSAWYER

Well it looks like from the photo of him diving he has all the right gear for the depths he is able to work.  :D  He has a better chance finding Bin then them 24ft redwood logs. 
ARKANSAWYER

Gary_C

Watch out for that link. My AVG found an invader while I was reading it and removed it. Open at your own risk.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

beenthere

I also made a mistake opening that link.
Lots of bad malware showing up on my computer, as I post this on our other computer waiting for the bad stuff to clean out of the other.

And it came up immediately upon opening the link.
Saw enough to realize who it was.

Malware software said the Remote user was D41D2FC1 with IP of 26.163.219.158
That doesn't mean anything to me.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bandmill Bandit

I have not read the entire thread but I have a friend that is recovering sunken logs along the coast of BC and has been doing it off and on for about 30 years.

It is a result of his hobby of recreational diving explorations with his 3 sons searching for the wreaks  and "treasure troves" of logs. He only does it from early summer (after breakup starts) through fire season and as a rule only does recovery of logs in the years when the winter harvest has been a bit lean.

Normal diving to search for, identify a site and then plan a recovery is 2 seasons minimum and quite often 3 seasons. then recovery can be 2 seasons depending on a list of factors.

It is not that much more lucrative then regular logging by the time you take in all the salvage and related costs. He does make a good dollar but if it was as lucrative as many would have us believe I think this guy would do it full time. last time I helped him he puled about 60 loads of good sized logs out of the water and at the end of the project he netted about 15K more then he would have for the same volume out of an above water harvest. Took about half again as much time to get those logs loaded and landed  at the mill as it would have to do the same volume out of the bush.

i have very serious doubts on this guy and if he does prove to be real I would send my friend his contact info. If he doesn't already know about this "treasure trove of Logs" as he refers to such finds it probably doesn't exist. He has done a lot of contract exploratory/survey work south of the boarder and has directed a few log salvage operations for a few of the state forestry departments he has also raised 2 locomotives that have gone into museums and has been involved in a few air craft recovery operations.

I just gave him a call. He says there are logs of similar dimensions ALLEGED  as lost at sea along the Oregon/Cali and on north all the way up to the Queen Charlotte's but no one has ever found any them that he is aware of IF the do exist and probably because they are below 300 feet. Cost of a salvage in North Cali/ South Oregon region would quite likely cost more then the logs are worth.

He would like the guys name if i can get it for him. He thinks it is BOGUS. Just another retelling of some drunk log boom operator story from many years ago.  

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

maple flats

I have doubts that he is even the same Bill Warren who was running. He was likely someone who either happened to have the same name or someone who assumed that name.
As for him getting 44%, consider Bill Clinton, he even got elected!!!
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Jeff

That's not why I brought this up. Really makes not much sense to comment on the topic until you read it in its entirety. We already know the guy is a kook. The link I posted that apparently had an issue was about a new story. Bill Warren is now heading an expedition to recover bin ladins body.  I saw the news story this morning and tried to post a link before I left the house.  THe redwood log story was started by this guy to try and get people to fund HIM. Forget about that part. That part of the topic is 10 years old.

Search google for bill waren and osama bin ladin

New York Post article

RPF2509

Well being a former redwood forester this thread immediately caught my eye.  Sunken log salvage logging occurred extensively on the Mendocino coast in Big River before the Department of fish and game put the kibosh on it.  Note that this occurred only in fresh or brackish water where river drives had happened and I have never heard of anyone salvaging in salt water.  For the size of logs Mr. Bill is talking about - only the Klamath, Smith  or the Eel would have been large enough to get them out to sea.  During the river drives, the old timers would drop the trees directly into the river if they could but 24 footers were rare even then.  During the flood of 1964, enormous quantities of old growth logs and trees were swept out to sea.  The Eel River Sawmill and Pacific lumber lost portions of their log decks to the flood and all the bridges on the Eel were damaged by the floating wood.  So the proposal has a ring of truth to it especially if the logs were in deeper,  darker water (all the water is cold here but not cold enough for shipworms).  Any logs in shallow water would have been found  by urchin divers and I never heard of that either. However salvaging deep logs in the Pacific is going to cost way more than they're worth.  Now if he had been talking excavating burls on land I'd have believed the $ he was talking about.  Thanks Jeff for looking out for us and if it was a true proposal would have made a great story

Tom

Outing a Scammer is a pretty good story too.   :P :D

Dodgy Loner

I agree. I've read this whole topic, and it was a good story indeed. I love how offended be got when he was outed ;D
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

SwampDonkey

I always laugh at this thread. As bugs would say "what a maroon, a real nincompoop"  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Taylortractornut

If he needed that mush help get the 2 clowns off AxeMen that aqua log lol.
My overload permit starts after sunset

Thank You Sponsors!