iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

HELP HELP I'M DESPERATE

Started by dail_h, April 14, 2005, 01:38:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dail_h

I know this sounds silly,most of my posts do,but this time I'm in a real jam.'bout all my blades have been sharpened a coupla times,and need setting. Problem is for the life of me,I can't do it. Got the setter all set up and everything,just can't set;em. Watching the points,the dial gauge just destroys my nerves. Spent most of this morning trying to set one blade.Got it half done,and was ready for the looney bin agin.
   Question is,anybody in reasonable driving distance of me interested -willing to set my blades for me? I expect to pay fair rate ,have 'bout 30 blades now
      Thanks,this is really buggin me
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Bro. Noble

What kind of setter do you have?  You may be trying to make too big a deal out of setting.  I can set one blade while another is being sharpened.  I don't get nearly as technical about setting or sharpening as a lot of folks seem to.  Maybe you just need to watch some others set their blades.  I wish I were closer so"s I could help.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Fla._Deadheader

Just what I was thinkin Bro. Noble. ;D

If you try too hard, to set them perfectly, you will go crazy. 

I hafta admit, I don't like setting blades, but, take your time, take a break if needed, and set 1 blade. It gets much easier, just boring as watchin grass grow. ::)  Hang in there, Dail.  ;D ;D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Larry

Back in the good ole days when we had those nice soft steel, Nickolson bands, setting was a relaxing pleasure. ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D

Then Simond and later WM came along with some DanG tough to set bands.  To keep the playing field level I added a cheater bar to my setter.  Besides taking some of the umph out, it slowed the needle down and made more accurate setting possible.  Might try it with yours Dail and see iffen it helps any.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Randy

Dail_H
I am new at this sawing, But I think you are trying to hard also. Little to far from you to help in person, but It is not Hard for me---Just takes time! Really it don't take a lot of time-just a few minutes a blade. What I do is--Make sure the dial indicator is zeroed then make sure I am on the right tooth then grasp the handle firmly then move it forward till the dial indicator reaches 80 thousands then back off. If I want to see what thousands I just set that tooth on I back off to the POINT the pressure is off the tooth, but enough that it is just holding the tooth to the indicator and that gives me around a 26 set then move on to the next tooth--------do all the teeth on that side---------turn the blade inside out---------do the rest. If you want a different set add a little or take away a little--------Don't try to bend the tooth a little then back off and check then bend a little more-------------Find a thousands maybe between 65 and 85 say with the Lever pressure applied that gives you the set you want with the pressure released. If you don't change your setting---use that reading from now on to set your teeth.  To Repeat-------Making sure you are on the right tooth----with steady--SMOOTH  pressure reading the dial indicator----you will see the thousands increasing-----30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80,---------realease pressure as SOON as the indicator reaches the reading "YOU" want-------------Then move to the next tooth. You don't heve to check to see if it is a 22 or what ever---------it will be close enough. Some think that if you want a 22 set---you bend to 22---but that don't work----------Try what I described above---------Some times I bend a little TOO far with a SLIP of the handle---------if so I get my pliers right then and straighten that tooth out a little then reset it then move on. Then I sharpen the blade. Hope this helps. Good Luck Randy

PS lets don't get into a debate on what "SET" the tooth needs to be set on :D

Tom

Patience, Grasshopper. :)

A cool drink and a radio will make it go a lot better.  If you are a "Type A" personality, blade maintenance is a good lesson in self discipline ....    and self control. :D :D

asy

Quote from: dail_h on April 14, 2005, 01:38:05 PM
   Question is,anybody in reasonable driving distance of me interested -willing to set my blades for me?

Um...

What's a reasonable driving distance from Afghanistan???   ???

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

dail_h

Well thanks guys,I know it ain't a big deal,set tons of'um at the flooring plant,just can'tget it together now. Will try again tommorow.
      Volume Discount At ER

Frank_Pender

Well, Tom, that leaves me out for sure. :'(

In fact, I do not even fit into an alphabet. :D
Frank Pender

VA-Sawyer

Dail_h,

Would williamsburg be close enough?
VA-Sawyer

Tom

Frank, a cool drink and a radio is still a pretty good idea, even if you're laid wa-a-a-y back :D :D

bull

Why struggle send them to WM Resharp only $6.50 per blade and all you have to do is put them in a box and send the UPS or Fedex...  Sell the sharpening and setting eqiupment to someone who has time and patients. I prefer sawing and keep about  50 or more bades at the ready..... didn't get suckered into buying sharpening kit...
Go WM/ Resharp 8)

etat

Dail.  I know what's wrong.  You still got yer nerves all tore up from what you went through with all them official types when ya took over what was left of CFI.  I KNOW that had to be real hard on you, especially the way they busted in your house and tore everything apart looking for evidence.  It was just wrong the way they did you and that's the truth. I bet ya after a good night's sleep you can get yer nerves calmed down and set them there blades so's they'll cut like they're supposed to.  Maybe a fresh start will make all the difference in the world.  I hope so.  :)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

DR_Buck

Dail.....Can't help you   I send my blades to PA for sharpening and setting.

Rick (VA Sawyer)   Where you been?   ???   This is the 1st post out of you since January.   I thought you fell off the edge of the world. ;D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

BBTom

I somewhat agree about resharp.  I sharpen my blades two or three times, till they need reset, then send them to resharp for a good set.  Makes my life so much easier.  I dispise spending so much time squinting at that dial, trying to get a good set.  . 
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

dail_h

A good night's sleep musta helped,'cause today I wuz able to finish settin the one blade,do two more,and sharpen all three 'fore the heebeejeebees set in.Let's see thats three blades,shoot they ought to last till I give out tommorow 'lessen I go to sawin dawgs.
   Ole CK you might be on ta sumthin,kind delayed stress reaction or such.
      Volume Discount At ER

etat

Glad to hear ya got yer nerves settled some.  I agree it's probably due to a delayed reaction flashback type of thing.  Shoot, I still ain't caught up on all the sleep I lost after them Feds busted up my house.  Had me tore up so bad evertime I'd hear a car or a foot step or a hoot owl I'd go into them  heebeejeebees.   I hope one day to fully recover.
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Bro. Noble

That cheater on the setter handlethat Larry mentioned sure makes a difference.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Mark M

Dail which setter do you have?

Fla._Deadheader

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

dail_h

Mark,
   I got Norwoods, kinda generic,pretty simple works good 'cept for operator error ;D
      Volume Discount At ER

Thank You Sponsors!