iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WHo can tell me about a Barco 160 Grapple loader?

Started by Doc, April 13, 2005, 01:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doc

I was looking through one of these sell it type papers and found a truck with grapple loader. the truck is said to have a new engine in it (irrelevant to me), but not running. The truck it equipped with a Barco 160 Grapple loader.

Are these worth a tinkers *DanG? Are parts still available?

The price was good considering the cost of new equipment. At 5200 total for truck grapple and all I think it would be a good deal running or not if the grapple is a good make/model, and in working order.

Doc

duramax

1999 Timbco T455D , 1999 Timberjack 560 dual arch grapple, 1987 Timberjack 450 cable , 1998 Husky Brute XL235 loader w/slasher

J_T

Most worry I think is the pump and turn table . If it will pickup and hold a load tells a lot . Buddy just sold a smi mount 210c printace for 8 grand .When I want one can't find one for 16 ??? Nothing like one to load logs wish I'd kept mine :'(
Jim Holloway

Gary_C

I do not know if Barco is still in business but I see a lot of them around. The most important question is the condition of the one you are looking at. Most of the hydraulic parts are generic and readily available. Look it over good before you buy because the price sounds right, but then you usually get what you pay for.

Gary
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

J_T

Guy up the road just got a new one 160grand hope he got what he payed for ??? Lot's loggers downsizing here or going broke  ??? Watching a loader now has bucksaw air cab all the bells and whisels may be on the banks parking lot soon.Thare are bargans you just gotta look.
Jim Holloway

Gary_C

Here in Minnesota, most log truckers are getting away from the truck or trailer mounted log loaders unless they absolutely have to have it. I know of at least two accidents where the truckers forgot to put the loader down when they left the mill yard and pulled down the main 3 phase power lines and shut off power to the mill and the whole town. Insurance co paid over $750,000 on one of the accidents. Now when you get your commercial insurance for a log truck or trailer, they ask if it's self-loading and you better be holding on to something when they quote you a price.

Plus they add about 10,000 lbs to your truck and subtract that much from every load you haul.

Gary
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

southview

The company I work for uses Barco loaders for construction.  Barco is still in business and unless it is a very old machine parts should still be available.  We use Barco 130 loaders mounted on a straight truck but they are basically the same machine the 160 has two main cylinders and larger swing motors.  We haven't used Prentice here in about 20 years but when the company switched the Barco was a better loader at the time. 

Superior Hydraulics out of Superior WI, sells parts that directly replaces anything on the Barco loader the parts just don't have the high markup in prices.  The hydraulics used in the Barco loaders are generally common hydraulic components (pumps, motors, valves) and should be able to gotten at most hydraulic repairs businesses. 

The things I would look at is as JT said, the turntable bearing, the pump and also the hydraulic swivel. 
Good Luck

Doc

Taking into consideration the cost of insurance, and the fact that I am just getting started, I think I will leave it alone. if someone wants more info on it pm me and I will tell you where to look. the same source has a large number of larger tractors at decent prices (farm tractors).

Doc

ironmule2004

I just bought a used trailer mounted "BARKO" 160A loader 2 weeks ago.  Barko is still in business www.barko.com and you can get probably any part you could ever need for one.  Most of the boom pins and bushings will cost you half as much if you get them made at a machine shop which is actually where most of the local dealers get them from. 

IronMule 

Thank You Sponsors!