iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Vacuum cleaners...

Started by DanG, April 13, 2005, 10:57:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

Anybody out there having decent luck with one?  Our's just bit the dust, so to speak.  This latest decedent is a Eureka, but we've been through Hoovers and Dirt Devils, etc, and can't seem to get one to last over 2 years.  I really hate to spend several hundred dollars for something so simple and mundane. 
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

shopteacher

My Sears shop vac is about 20 years old, course don't know how well the wife would like toting it around.  Wife bought some kind of commerical vac and didn't tell me the price. Besides I don't think I want to know.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Engineer

Dyson.

You won't know how you've lived without it.

Paschale

A friend has a Dyson, and swears by it to.  I think that'll be next one.
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Haytrader

Tell ya how "out west" I must be. Taint never heard of a Dyson.
My wife has had her Kirby since Dec. of 73.

(she hasn't had me that long)
:D
Haytrader

Patty

I'm with Haytrader on this one.   I have never even heard of a Dyson. Of course I try VERY HARD not to know too much about any cleaning appliances. I am allergic to most things that have to do with cleaning.  ;D I break out in hives and a cold sweat when they are even mentioned.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

MrMoo

We have an Electrolux we bought about 12 years ago and it works great. We bought that one to replace the one I had gotten from my Mom. She bought that one in 1965 and it was in use until 1993 whan we replaced it.

Texas Ranger

My wife bought a Dyson, off the web, saved a hundred or so.  Anyway, run any vacuum over a rug, then run the Dyson, more stuff comes out, then run the Dyson at right angles to the first run, more stuff comes out.  She swears by it after Kirbys, Filterqueens, Rainbow, and God alone knows how many others.

Red Devil and Bisel are they the same?) have come out with a copy of the Dyson, dont know on price.,
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Roxie

I've had my Rainbow Cleaner for 15 years.  It uses water as a filter and I have allergy problems, so I'm thrilled with it.  It doesn't blow dust back into the air....the dust gets trapped in the water.  I've never had to replace any of the parts and I've never needed a service call for it.  It get's everything really clean and it never loses suction because the 'bag' gets full...no bag!
I'm going to look up that Dyson cleaner though, I've never heard of it, but if Texas Ranger's wife thinks it's better than a Rainbow...I've GOT to see it!   :)
Say when

SwampDonkey

I dunno guys, with this dirt devil I can pull the carpet up off the floor. I made the mistake once of setting it ont he arm of the sofa chair and it ate the upulstry. I told the folks a squirrel got in and took at the chair. :D

My mother has had a Filter Queen for over 25 years. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

asy

Well...  I bought a new vac last year, had to, the other one was driving me nuts... 

I ended up buying a Wertheim.

Went and compared that to the Dyson, and the wertheim has higher power with lower price. That's a winner in my book.  The same shop had them both, and they had a test piece of carpet, they threw sand and dust and stuff onto the carpet and ran over it with the Dyson. Then they ran over it with the Wertheim. The Wertheim got out as much on the second pass as the Dyson did on the first. !!! :o

It cost me about $700, which is I think $2.50 in your money  :-\  (nah, it's about $500) 

It's seriously fantastic. And bagless. And it has hepa filtration, so it doesn't blow that 'vacuum smell' into the air so it doesn't annoy Andrew.

Oh, then, we went and moved into a house with polished floors   ::)  :o ::)  :o ::)

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

wiam

Electrolux central vac.  8)  Exhaust to outside. 8)   

Will

Tillaway

DanG

I have ben having the same luck as you except I get just about a year or so.  I just replaced the Eureka with a new Oreck I bought off e-bay for $189.  So far haven't had it long enough to really judge anything except it seems to do alright.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Phorester

Haytrader

Mercy me......
Taint never heard of a Dyson, a Rainbow, or a Werthiem.
Makes me wonder what else I am missin out on.

:o

Please tell me some of ya'all haven't heard of these either.
I gotta get out more.

::)
Haytrader

Furby

I read a review just the day before yesterday in Popular Mechanics ??? Can't remember, I was at the tire place. ::)
Anyways, they they compared the Dyson, one of Bis sell's ( space added on purpose ;) ) and another one, and claimed the Dyson won hands down due to some kind of brush drive disconnect, where the Bis sell one worked really, really well, but they burned the brush belt up.  ::)

Having said that........I used to work for Bis sell and have built/worked on/owned many. 
Don't really know what to say...........
However, if anyone has any of the Bis sell's upright deep cleaners and are having troubles with it, drop me a line before you take it in to be repaired. ;) ;D
Or before you buy.

beenthere

I've not heard of them before this thread brought them up.

Now, I'd have to admit I don't listen well whenever the word "vacuum cleaner" is brought up  ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Brucer

Quote from: MrMoo on April 13, 2005, 04:39:34 PM
We have an Electrolux we bought about 12 years ago and it works great. We bought that one to replace the one I had gotten from my Mom. She bought that one in 1965 and it was in use until 1993 whan we replaced it.

Electrolux -- the same friendly folks who bring you Jonsereds and Husqvarna  ;D.

I installed a Beam central vac system when I built my house in 1980. Still going strong, no signs of wearing out (the house and vaccum, not me  :D). We have alergies in our family as well, so I just ran the discharge outside instead of letting it vent into the house. I have to empty the collector drum twice a year -- once a year would be the norm if it weren't for the dog.

It was pretty simple installing it before the wallboard went up. However, the system was designed to be retro-fitted to an older house as well.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Rockn H

Hope I don't kill this thread. ;D  When Electrolux was first mentioned I wondered how long it would take someone to mention Husqvarna. ::)  Brucer, you forgot about Partner, Pioneer, McCullogh, and the best saw ever  ;D ;D Poulan ;D ;D   I couldn't help myself. ::) ;D ::)

Brucer

Quote from: beenthere on April 13, 2005, 10:34:43 PM
I've not heard of them before this thread brought them up.

Now, I'd have to admit I don't listen well whenever the word "vacuum cleaner" is brought up  ;D ;D

And for those of you who are allergic to vacuuming (but not to the dust they stir up), there's always the Roomba http://www.irobotstore.com  :) These things actually work -- if your carpet ain't too deep, and if you don't expect it to do stairs. Don't have a clue what the life expectancy is.

Quote from: Rockn H on April 13, 2005, 11:16:05 PM
Hope I don't kill this thread. ;D When Electrolux was first mentioned I wondered how long it would take someone to mention Husqvarna. ::) Brucer, you forgot about Partner, Pioneer, McCullogh, and the best saw ever ;D ;D Poulan ;D ;D I couldn't help myself. ::) ;D ::)

The only reason I mentioned Husky is 'cause my youngest Jonsereds saw has a little label on it that says "Jonsereds-Husqvarna". Personally I like a red chainsaw.  ;D
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Patty

We don't have carpet in the house, so it is hard to find a vacumn that gets up the dust. While I prefer to just ignore the dust, some people  ::) insist on vacumning every week. We tried one of those little Roombas over the holidays. I thought it was the best invention ever.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Frank_Pender

DanG, and I thought this thread was going to be about sawdust moving around the mill rather than from the house floor and threads. :D :D :D

I am working of convertin a parking lot vaccum to a mill vaccum.  I have yet gotten around to putting all fo the peices together. :-[ :'(
Frank Pender

beenthere

Patty
How did "Roomba" work?  You said you 'tried' one. Sounds like it didn't work out.  ???

Care to elaborate (does it get the sawdust?).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DanG

We gotta have something quick.  I'm going to the janitorial supply place to check out those stripped down commercial vacs.  We never use all those attachments, anyway.

Long term, I'm thinking about making a central vac system from a big shop-vac.  Just have to get the power head with the brush, and a long hose.  Probably do the whole thing for the price of another Walmart Eureka. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

CHARLIE

The vacuum industry is a heck of a racket!  There is no way they should cost what they do. >:(

Anyway, when we built our home in Dover, Minnesota, we installed a built-in centralized Electrolux system  I'm convinced that when building a home, that is the way to go. The only thing you have to cart around is the hose. The real plus is because the motor is mounted in the garage, you can install a much more powerful motor. Ours would suck the chrome off a bumper hitch.  Right after I retired, I was vacuuming and got to the bathroom where Donna had some panty hose hanging to dry.  I got the nozzle near them and they went WHOOSH as they disappeared.  Now they had to travel through a lot of pipe so I figured I just clogged up the system.....but I went out to the garage, pulled the bucket off and there they were. ;D  I put them in the dirty clothes hamper and never mentioned it to Donna.

Well, we moved to New Richmond, Wisconsin last summer and this house did not have a built-in centralized vacuum system.  Donna had a Sears canister but it wasn't doing well at all. I got home from a 2 day woodturning seminar last weekend to find that Donna had bought a purple Dyson vacuum.  I didn't even ask how much it cost and I don't want to know, but it sure works well so far.  Donna is very pleased with it and showed me all the crud it pulled up.  Anyway, if the wife is happy.....I'm happy. :)

DanG, I owned a 16 gallon Shopvac for years before it finally burned up.  It was soooo noisey that I should have worn ear protectors when I turned it on.  At the time, Home Depot had a sale on Rigid shop vacs, so I bought their 16 gallon one.  I'm really pleased with the Rigid. It's a LOT quieter and has twice the power.  I'm happy with it.  I'm not sure how well it would do for a house vacuum though. 
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Thank You Sponsors!