iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did I mention I like old stuff? Test for Rust Reaper Degreaser

Started by Jeff, April 11, 2005, 05:58:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Something old followed me home again this weekend.

This is a 1940 Lauson gas engine of unknown HP, cant track that down, on a 1940 Campbell-Hausted Compressor turns out, that is the first year that company made compressors.
Found it at an old barn/flea market type deal.  It was old and greasy and grimey but I found out two things real quick, I grabed it with one hand on it as I turned the motor with the other checking for compression and found out at the same time that my first hand was on the spark plug and boy oh boy did it have spark. I have been looking for an old gas engine to run my Barker cable drive rimsaw. I seen this and thought maybe.... But actually the engine is probably to small.  After puttering with it yesterday I got it to run and the compressor works very very well. Guess I needed a compressor for blowing off the drag and chainsaws when we go to old engine shows and this will be just the ticket.

This is a 1940 Lauson gas engine of unknown HP, cant track that down, on a 1940 Campbell-Hausted Compressor turns out, that is the first year that company made compressors. Its only a little guy, less then 30 inches total in length

I used Rust Reaper Degreaser of varying strengths and application times to get it clean. I was trying to conserve as much of the original paint as I could and it looks like I didnt lose any during the cleansing process.  Here are some before and after photos of my newest old thing. :)  ( also a short video to to prove I got it running. ;)

VIDEO CLIP

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

ElectricAl

Jeff,

You are getting pretty good at Antiquing ;D

Great video 8)
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Danny_S

That's a great find! I have a old compressor head that looks like that one in dad's old barn. Must go and check it out sometime. As for the video, well, I have an awful lot of popcorn left and I only got one drink out of my pop......  :D
Plasma cutting at Craig Manufacturing

tnlogger

8) now i guess it can be said that the rustreaper degreaser works just fine.
gene

Fla._Deadheader

In the beginning of my Boating Career (I was 11 years old) I had a 1 cylinder, 4 cycle, aircooled, Lauson Outboard Motor. It was 3 HP.  I later upgraded to a 2 cylinder, 6 HP model, installed on the same old base housing. Duck Hunters on the Barnegat Bay, loved them old engines. No water pump and straight gas.  ;) ;)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Corley5

Watch yer fingers around them belts and pulleys ;).  OSHA'd have a fit ;D  Cool machine!!!!
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Jeff

Figued out how it regulates air a little while ago, actually more like why it Wouldn't regulate air.  Mud dobber :D little spring valve on that center condensation tower.

asy

Sheesh Jeff...

You'll do just about anything to win the next rust reaper competition!!!  :D

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Roxie

Wow!   :o  I can't wait until my Rust Reaper order arrives!   :)  That looks great Jeff!  Isn't it amazing how well it runs for being 65 years old.  I just love old machines. 
Say when

Jeff

Never had an air compressor around the house other then the little 12 volt kind. It was nice not to have to run to the mill today as I did some seasonal preping on the lawn tractor. Blowed all the leafy debri and dirt off so I could put rust reaper on mower deck slide. Blew out the air cleaner. Had the compressor running the better part of an hour with out a problem. Its nice when toys are tools. ;D

slowzuki

Jeff, ya may want to be careful and limit the pressure that thing runs up too...  Condensation in compressor tanks causes them to rust and weaken.  I don't know the exact length of time but I think at 25 years or something they are supposed to be hydrostatically tested.  Basicly filled with water and pumped up to double the operating pressure to see if they burst.  Water doesn't compress so it doesn't explode the tank.

Fellow here got his face busted open with an old propane tank converted to air pig use.

Jeff

We fixed that last night. limit set at 100lbs :)  Not saying that he tank could not corrode from the inside out, but it looks pretty good and IS HEAVY!  the compressor has a water trap, or condensor, also a tank drain. After running the compressor, I cracked open both, got a little greasy feel to the air expelled but nothing rusty looking.

OneWithWood

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Dan_Shade

do be careful with old compressed air tanks.

A guy on a car site that I used to frequent had a compressor blow up in his garage, luckily he was on the other side of the car, it was a compressor with two wheels to cart it around, when the tank went, it blew one wheel into his rear quarter panel, completely hosed up that side of the car....

I had a York air conditioning compressor rigged up under the hood on my old '80 GMC as an air compressor, I put a tank on the frame, and had a coupler run out through a spare gas door.  THAT was CONVENIENT.  I'm still trying to figure out where to put it on my '04 F250 with a 5.4L. 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

shopteacher

Didn't Lawson turn in to Clinton or was bought out by them?  You like old things huh. Harold you better watch out you'll be living out in his shed with the drag saw.  I recently seen a old small Wisconsin engine with a water pump attached. Don't know if it's still there, but might make a good engine for the saw.  I'll stop and check on it on the wa home and let you know if it's still there.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Jeff

Cool!  Best engine would be something with a 3/4 inch shaft. That way I dont have to fabricate any kind of coupler. Noble said that a 4hp kohler was typical on the rim saws but they may have ran anything.

QuoteI think I see air tools in the future . . .   

Nah, it's not got the volumn for anything like that, and besides, its really more of a novelty tool to go with the rest of the novelty tools. :)

chet

Quote from: shopteacher on April 13, 2005, 09:41:39 AM
Didn't Lawson turn in to Clinton or was bought out by them? You like old things huh. Harold you better watch out you'll be living out in his shed with the drag saw. I recently seen a old small Wisconsin engine with a water pump attached. Don't know if it's still there, but might make a good engine for the saw. I'll stop and check on it on the wa home and let you know if it's still there.

Lawson was bought out by Tecumseh.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

shopteacher

Oh well, knew somebody bought them up? Who took over Clinton?  Never was to good a trivia pursuit.

Buzz-sawyer

Dan
I did the same with an old dump truck.those yorks really put out! I got 180 psi out of an old worn out pump!
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Corley5

Quote from: shopteacher on April 13, 2005, 11:01:18 AM
Oh well, knew somebody bought them up? Who took over Clinton?  Never was to good a trivia pursuit.
George W. Bush  ;) ;D ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Patty

Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

shopteacher

Went by to check on the engine last night Jeff.  Wish I'd known a week earlier, could ave had it for a song & dance, but someone else tok a liking to it.  I'll keep an eye out for ya though.

CHARLIE

That's a nice buy Jeff!  When you said it was really greasy at the flea market you weren't kidding.  Your before and after picture really shows that.  I bet it's been years since that green and red paint saw daylight.  When you found that mud dobbers nest, it reminded me of the neighbor I had when I lived in Dover, Minnesota.  He bought engines at garage sales for a song....like $5......take them home, clean up the carburation and usually it would run like a dream. Then he'd sell them for $50 or more.  ;D 
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Thank You Sponsors!