iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Restoring my little planer

Started by Gilman, April 11, 2005, 01:26:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilman

Well, after a couple of months of trying to arrange to pick up the 6" x 15" planer I finally made it.
I bought it from Frank Pender who's about 1 1/2 hours away from me.  Frank tricked my into buying it from him by asking, "do you want to buy it?" That tricky little phrase gets me every time.

The delay in picking up the planer came from the lack of hualing capacity of my trailer.  I was going to pick up the planer with my friend's grandfather with his truck and trailer.  But unfortunately his health hasn't been too good lately and we had to keep delaying the trip.  I was looking forward to a trip with him, I've never met the man, but by what I hear he has plenty of character. He got arrested when he was 80 for punching out a hippy.

To improve my odds of making it back to Washington, I changed the trailer tires over from passenger tires to the biggest tires that would fit under my fenders.  I got the new rims and tires and was off.

Once I got to Frank's he asked if I was going to hual the planer with, "that."  "yep," I reply.  Frank's eyes widen and says, "Oh David."

Somehow over the few months it took to pick up the mill, my mind trimmed about 4,000 lbs off the planer.  I was even shaking my head and wondering what I'd gotten myself into.

Here's the planer after it was loaded.  We only broke one old chain trying to lift it up.  Frank had a self loader hauling for him that we used to lift the mill.  Once lifted, I backed the trailer under it and the operator gently lowered it down.  Down Down Down the trailer frame went until it stopped due to the fenders resting on top of the tires.

First step, trick out the trailer.

Second step, More air please.  Frank was kind enough to put some more air in my tires.

Made it home.  Kathy shows me how to use the planer.

This trailer mod is patented by Frank, He had the good idea of only cutting one side of the fender.  I think the air ram design might of even helped!

The next time I buy something from Frank and he tells me it weighs about 10,000 lbs, I'm going to believe him.

Still haven't figured out how to unload it yet.

WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Jeff

Are you sure you didnt load the bull dozer by mistake?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Gilman

:D :D :D, If I mounted tracks on it I guess I could just drive it off.

Jeff,
I called Kathy's father about a spring boad for Pender to trade with you.  He's an old horse logger.  He didn't have one but said he'd look around for one. I want to see that charged wedge on my next visit to Frank's.

etat

I agree that sure looks like a lot of iron for just a 'little' planer. :D

Be sure to let us know how you manage to get it off your trailer and parked in your shop. smiley_kid
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Fla._Deadheader

Just back it into the shop, and stick a fork in the tires  ;D :D :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

pappy

Good steel rollers and some railroad ties and lots of hardwood blocking a few good hyd jacks 

or about 12 guys the size of Unclebuck   ;)
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Doc

Quote from: pappy on April 11, 2005, 03:26:03 PM
Good steel rollers and some railroad ties and lots of hardwood blocking a few good hyd jacks 

or about 12 guys the size of Unclebuck   ;)

Pappy, at 10k you may want to change that or 12 guys the size of Uncle Buck to AND 12 guys the size of Uncle Buck.

That puppy is BIG! WOW!

Doc

pappy

"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Rockn H

Alright Gilman, just what does that planer do?  What kind is it?  Do you have to saw the tree into boards first or can you just put it in whole? ::) ::) ;D ;D

Norm

I know you folks have big trees out that way but HOLY COW! I'm thinking the same as Rockn H, just stick in a old growth DF and stand back while it spits out 2X4's. :D

Doc

the trees would sprout legs and run off seeing that thing coming!

Pappy....I am opting for cheap insurance and saying 14 guys the size of Uncle Buck. That thing looks like a hernia on wheels! Have rupture....will travel.....

Doc

sprucebunny

I think it would be easier in the long run...(think "moving day ") to block up the trailer with the planer on it and buy another one.;D
Then build a floor up around the planer and trailer.

Get a more heavy duty trailer this time .......... That dumps :D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

tnlogger

joan i done think ya gots it figged out.  :D :D :D
gene

Gilman

Sprucebunny, That might just be the easiest.

It's a four sided planer/moulder.  It also came with T&G knives and some moulding knives.  I'll have to post some more pictures of the innards.

FeltzE

Cool idea installing it on that trailer like that. Don't forget to take those tires off and store them somewhere safe until you need to move again.

What ya going to power it with?

Eric

Frank_Pender

It was being powered with a short block 250 Cummins.  He still has more part to get, a side delivery pully system and a set of mounting brackets that attatch to a cement floor.  To take the unit from the trailer when I hauled it home I used a ten ton jack  and a piece of 2' piece of iron pipe.   I tilted the trailer and it came off in a hurry. 8)
Frank Pender

Gilman

I think I changed my plans a bit.  I was wanting to convert over to five independent electric motors.  One for each head and the power feed.  However, this will require 3 phase, motors, sheeves and belts, which I don't have yet.  However, If I keep things simple and return it to original, I could simply use an old tractor for the time being and convert over when the demand requires.  I imagine I could run quite a few bf in an hour. I'm going to keep the guards simple for now too.  I'll just build two area guards for each side.  That would make cleanup easier too.

I have two 3600 cfm blowers in God's storage shed. I bought them about ten years ago and was going to use them for my woodshop and metal shop.

asy

Don't worry Gilman...

ONE DAY you'll get a big planer... 

Just make do with this one for now...    :o :o :o

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Gilman

Here's question #1.
Anyone know where I can get square wrenches for the planer and moulding clamping bolts?

Straight knife moulding head

I got the collets free in these three heads, but the last head is still in the moulder.  It should be a real bugger to get out.

Here's a few more close up photos of the moulder
Infeed end, two of the six powered feed rollers.  Better let go of that board!

Moulder and planer section

Fla._Deadheader

Hey, that's pretty slick, taking it all apart, so you can lift it off the trailer. I never wooda thunk a dat.  ;D ;D :D :D

Getcha some 8 point sockets.  ;) ;) ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Stump Jumper

mabey some rust reaper is in the future. ;)
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

Furby

I belive 12 point sockets will work.

etat

Furby's braver than me.  :)  I 'think' I could see how a 12 point would work but I just can't get it in my head how a 8 point would.  I tried to draw it out with both a 8 and a 12 and I kept coming up with a problem with a 8 point in the corners.  Unless I ain't lookin at it right. :)

One things fer sure, if I could once get em out I'd replace em with some regular bolts! :)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Corley5

8 point or sometimes referred to as double square.  Sometimes a twelve point will work but you run a big risk of rounding off the corners.  Just not enough contact between the socket and the bolt or nut head.  Sears has them and so does SnapOn.  Sometimes you'll find old ones at tractor shows but be wary of these as many were slightly over sized for use on galvanized windmill hardware
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

etat

Quote8 point or sometimes referred to as double square

So what yer sayin is Fla.'s done tricked me ;D and weren't even talking about a regular socket! :D :D :D smiley_kid

Thank You Sponsors!