iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gasoline

Started by D._Frederick, April 08, 2005, 10:58:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D._Frederick

We are still having problems getting gasoline that does not have a percentage of alcohol. Anybody have any thoughts on using aviation gasoline in a Husqvarna saws.

Tom

Before all the name changes and sales and mergers, when AMOCO was American,  we would go out of our way to find "American White" for our boat motors, motorcycles and small engines.  At the time 1950's-1970's (?) It was the only verifiable "unleaded" gasoline and never has had alcohol, I don't think.   What ever happened to AMOCO WHITE?

Jeff

QuoteWhat ever happened to AMOCO WHITE?

I think he ran off with Ethel.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Corley5

Grandpa always bought white gas for his Coleman Lanterns rather than Coleman fuel.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Tom

Yep, we did too.  I even found that Standard Oill sold a white (unleaded) fuel but you had to know someone to get it.  It was available only at one station in my hometown and was a little pump in the back.  We stuck with American.

StihlDoc

Fuel containing alcohol is not as much of an issue as many people make it out to be. It was a problem in the late 1970's and early '80's but the fuel chemistry has since changed and engine components have been updated to be compatible with today's gasoline. Engine manufacturer rep's have conveniently used "gasahol" as a scapegoat for the cause of engine problems when they don't know what else to blame a failure on. It is possible to get some "bad" fuel from time to time but it is rare and not widespread. Generally up to 10% ethanol content in gasoline will not cause any troubles in small engines built during the past 10 years. The only caution when using gasoline that contains alcohol is that carb adjusments may have to be slightly richened and suggest to use up the fuel within 60 days to keep moisture from condensing in the fuel tank and storage vessel (which is a good practice when using any type of gasoline).

BWG

" I think he ran off with Ethel. "  :D

fishhuntcutwood

Quote from: D._Frederick on April 08, 2005, 10:58:42 PM
Anybody have any thoughts on using aviation gasoline in a Husqvarna saws.

I've heard of and read of alot of guys using avgas in their saws.  They supposedly ( I say supposedly, because I've never ran it myself) run cooler, and storing the gas for longer periods of time isn't as much of an issue.

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

MrMoo

Buzz-sawyer

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away .........she lived at the gas station , with the man that wore the hat and had the uniform, and had the metal change maker on his belt.......and gas was on sale for 15 cents...............
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

tony_marks

well theres ethel and of course kate.. god bless them both .. i think they both ended up married and good mommies.. but it took a few tries, before they learned to stay away from the players..wait a minute ,oops wrong forum.. :) :)

DonE911

I have used "AV GAS" in racing applications and in my saws.  It made a big difference in motor cross racing and in in my drag racing v8's, but these power plants were built to run on this fuel.  I ran it in my saw's, weed eaters, lawnmowers and anything else that used gas.  I would use up what ever was left over from a race weekend and it was often just mixed in with whatever fuel was still in the tanks.   I didn't really notice a difference outside of the racing applications, but I didn't conduct any in depth studies either.  I was always told by other racers to use the av gas up as quickly as possible and not to let it sit around in a can for more than a few weeks. I never questioned as to why it could not sit very long.

The way gas prices are going up I don't think I would spring for anything more costly than premium to run in my saws unless I was racing a race-built saw.

D._Frederick

I was talking to our local 2 cycle engine rebuilder, he says that if you have alcohol in you fuel that the carburetor will need rebuilding every couple years do to the damage to the diaghrams. He says that he has been mixing 3 qts 87 octain gas with 1 qt. aviation 100LL fuel. Said that saws/engines run cooler and don't have as many problems.

Any thoughts?

StihlDoc

Fuel octane controls detonation or "engine knock". Carburetor adjustments, ignition timing, engine heat, and compression ratio are influences that determine what octane is necessary for a particular engine. As long as the fuel octane is high enough to eliminate detonation, a higher octane will do not provide any further benefit. Chain saw engines are well within parameters that do not require anything higher than a standard mid-grade 89 octane pump gasoline. Their compression ratios and engine design do not require anything higher unless extensive modifications have been made.

FiremanEd

I only run the Amaco super in any of my small engines, it's clear and isn't supposed to have any alcohol. I'm not sure if it's the American White that Tom is referring to but it's the purest thing I can find short of aviation or racing fuel.
Full time Firefighter / Paramedic
WoodMizer LT300 as secondary, full time job.
AccuTrac Electric Edger

Tom

That's it, I'll bet.  I wonder why they quit advertisint it as such?

jjmk98k

with the price of gasoline, maybe we'll have to devise solar powered saws!

Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

Thank You Sponsors!