iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New member/new toy/new pics!

Started by WoodChucker, June 06, 2002, 11:50:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodChucker

Hi everyone, first I'd like to say hi and let ya know while this is my first post, I've been hangin out here for sometime now just reading all the great stuff you guys come up with. I don't really know anything about saw milling, but I'm about to learn, because armed with the info I got here, I picked up my new WoodMizer LT-15 yesterday and I'm ready to get my feet wet.  I'm a wood worker and will be milling for myself at first, figured I'd give it a year and make all my mistakes on me before I think about going into business.  I have 132 acres up in northern Michigan, mostly Red Oak, Maple, and Ash, with some poplar and pine.  I have a ton of questions, but just thought I'd say hi first and see if I could figure out how to post a few pictures to show off my new little toy. :)  Hope it works.

I survied 25 years of drinking coffee and eating donuts (guess)  :)  I retired last year and now it's time ta go to work. I've not even used the mill yet, I watched the video and now I'm reading all the books I got with it, figured I'd try to answer some of the many questions I have first doing it this way and then ask you guys for help. Well let me know what ya think of the pics and if you have any advice I'm all ears. Thanks!  

If a Husband & Wife are alone in the forrest fighting and no one is around to hear them, is he still wrong anyway?

WoodChucker

Well it figures, I don't know how to post pics I guess! Sorry.
If a Husband & Wife are alone in the forrest fighting and no one is around to hear them, is he still wrong anyway?

Jeff

Welcome Woodchucker! You linked to the pictures O.K., its just that your picture site does not allow other servers to link to the pictures so it returns that not found image.  I removed those from the post.

If you would like, mail me orTom the photos for your post and we will prepare them till you figure it out. We would rather have you upload them to this server anyhow. There is a link on the knowledgebase on how to use pictures on the forum, that will help if you want to do it yourself the first time. This link should get you there.
https://forestryforum.com/tips/tips.cgi?display:1021999910-6825.txt

You picked the right place to hang out, glad you now have a little time to spend with the "Good guys".  We eat doughnuts here too. ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kevin

WC,
You`ll love the LT-15.
I bought mine last Fall and milled with it last Fall and this past Spring.
The only problem I have encountered was a defective oil pressure switch.
The engine had to be turned over several times before it would build enough pressure in the crankcase before firing.
The problem was diagnosed over the phone with a Wood-Mizer tech and he sent me another switch in the mail.
While I was waiting, I made sure the oil level was up and popped the wire off the sensor and continued to mill so it wasn`t a big deal.

Repeat after me ...
    I must always have the lock pin locked in the frame when I`m not milling with the saw.
    I must always have the lock pin locked in the frame when I`m not milling with the saw.

The rope tends to stretch and sag a bit so keep it tight and keep an eye on it when you`re returning the head to the start position.
    If you let it drop beneath the bolts on the side of the frame it will get chewed up.
    I make sure it is always snug and use a couple of tie wraps on each end of the bed to keep the rope close to the frame.
    It wouldn`t hurt to pick up a spare rope at a local hardware store.

Corley5

Where ya from in Northern Mi?  I'm in Wolverine
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

WoodChucker

Hi Jeff, yeah that would be great if I could send you the pics and have you post them for me, and I'll check out the link for posting pictures and see what I can figure out.  Where do I send the pics to? And should I send all 5 or is that to many? Thank's for your help!

WC, thank's for the tips and it's nice to hear your happy with your LT15. Did you by chance get the trailer package with yours?  If so, can you load logs on it while it's on the trailer or is this not safe?  But I guess there wouldn't be a way to level it while it's on the trailer hey? Anyway thanks again!

WoodChucker

QuoteWhere ya from in Northern Mi?  I'm in Wolverine

Hi Corley5, I'm in the lower part of northern Michigan, just south of Alpena.

Kevin

I have the trailer package, yes you need to drop it on the ground to mill.
Here are my pictures ...
http://www3.sympatico.ca/kvn.rob/LT-15.html

Jeff

Woodchucker, send them to jeff@forestryforum.com send one and if its not to huge, I'll reply back for you to send the rest.

If you already have them on a picture site, send me the address for that and I can go get them too.

WoodChucker

Hi Kevin, I see you got the Ski-Mizer model hey? lol.  That's pretty cool, never seen a setup like that. Does it need to have the slab supports under it to level it? It looks like thats the way you have it setup, or is that because your in snow there? Thank's for the info on the trailer and I enjoyed your web site, keep up the good work.

Jeff, one of the pics is on it's way to ya now. Thank's and I have two more if you can do it. :)

CHARLIE

Welcome to the forum Woodchucker!  It's a fun place to visit. There are a lot of neat and knowledgeable people here too. I don't know anything about sawmilling either and I don't own a sawmill......either......  But I have been known to offbear for peas....not peanuts....peas.......not name brand either..... cheap brand 'X' generic peas. I never learned how to offbear 1" by's though cause the sawyer only knew how to cut 2" by 12"s!  Sheeeeeesh! :o
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

WoodChucker

Hi Charlie, and thank's for the welcome. It sounds like your worth your weight in, well peas. lol :)  

Kevin

I always keep boards under the supports when milling.
It takes about twenty minutes to set up and string the bed.
I get close by using a level then run the string.
Watch out for those dogs or you`ll catch them with the band.
Pull the saw head back slow in case the rope catches under one of the bolts.
I might try and add a spring in line with the rope to keep tension on it.

JoeyLowe

Hi Woodchucker!

Welcome to the forum.  Great place to learn alot about sawing in a very short time.  Wealth of experience here. ;D
Great place to lose weight too!
--
Joey Lowe

"Working towards perfection has to be a part of anything one does.  You've got to put yourself into it." ... Sam Maloof (chairmaker)

WoodChucker

Yeah that makes sense Kevin, thanks.

Hey thanks Jeff for posting the pics, did a fine job! :)

Well I started getting it ready today but had a few problems so I jumped on the phone and talked with Tech support at WoodMizer and they walked me through it. Then when I got to the point where you level the bed things went sour again. I still don't have it right. The ground looked pretty level where I put the WM, but I think I was wrong. I know it should be level from end to end, but should it also be level front to back?  Thanks.

WoodChucker

QuoteHi Woodchucker!

Welcome to the forum.  Great place to learn alot about sawing in a very short time.  Wealth of experience here. ;D
Great place to lose weight too!

LOL, thanks JoeyLowe, if i can do both of those then I'd be a happy man for sure!

Kevin

Don`t try and get it level with a level, just get it close then string the bed.
Stringing the bed is what matters.
I use 1" plastic conduit 2" long under the string at both ends, I also use two strings at the same time.

WoodChucker

Hey thanks Kevin, that was a lot of help. Nice drawing to! :)

Oh and about that rope, do you think it would do any good to put electric tape around the ends of the bolts so the rope wouldn't be riding across the threds and doing damage to it? Or maybe even run the rope inside a long piece of that conduit? Think that would work?

R.T.

Norm

Welcome to the world of sawmilling WC, you'll never look at trees in the same way again. Your wife will at first wonder and then appreciate when you lust after the red oak in the neighbors yard instead of the red head in the other neighbors yard :)

Kevin

You can`t hinder the rope in any way.
Tape doesn`t work unless the rope gets chewed up then it`s only good as a temporary measure to get you through the rest of the day.
The rope has a tendency to stretch more when it becomes wet.
I never leave it on the mill, I always bring it inside the house to dry after a day of milling in damp weather.
It really isn`t a big problem but I wanted to make you aware of it.
The rope will stretch  as you pull the head back to start another cut and drop below the bolts along the side of the frame.
When the head reaches that spot it pinches the rope between the bottom of the bolt and the head.
Just keep the rope tight and keep an eye on it as you bring the head back slowly.
If it gets caught a few times it won`t bother it but if it happens repeatedly then you`ll see signs of wear on the rope.

WoodChucker

Norm_F, thanks for the welcome and your right, I'm already looking at trees in a differant way - $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. :)

Kevin, thanks for making that clear about the rope, I appreciate your help.

R.T.  

Kevin

RT,
Here`s the spring set up.
One end of the spring is fastened to the rear rope bracket while the other end is fastened to the rope.
I don`t know why Wood-Mizer doesn`t do this, maybe I should mention it to them.

Cedar Eater

Hey WoodChucker! Welcome to the board. I live in Alcona County, so if you're just south of Alpena, I must be just south of you. :)
Cedar Eater

WoodChucker

Yeah good idea there Kevin, that rope and the saw dust being dumped right at your feet is the two biggest problems I see so far with the WoodMizer. But all in all it still seems like a great machine. Thanks again for your help.

Cedar Eater, well howdy neighbor. Heck we may be next door neighbors because I'm in Alcona County also (M-65 & M-72) area. Small world hey? :)

R.T.

Cedar Eater

Yikes Wood Chucker! That's really close. I'm near Barton City. Maybe I could bring you a practice log or 20. :D

Cedar Eater

WoodChucker

Cedar Eater, we may know one another then, I used to live in BC myself, on the south side of Jewell Lake. Whats your first name?

R.T.

Jeff

Hey eater! Don't let him have the messed up stumps...

Cedar Eater

Don't worry Jeff. You've got dibs on the stumps. ;D

My first name's Carl. I've only lived in BC since 09/00. Check your messages for more info.
Cedar Eater

WoodChucker

Jim Spencer

Hi Woodchucker,
I bought a Logosol chainsaw mill last fall and now I am in the process of designing a bandmill.
I have most of the components and am trying to determine what diameter tires to use for the band to run on.
Would you please tell me what diameter your band wheels are?
My brother lives between Alpena and Harrisville and I spend some time there visiting my mother in a nursing home in Harrisville.
My brother was an Alcona county commissioner,  don't know if he ran last election or not.
I know a lot of people in that area.
Jim Spencer

Jim Spencer

I guess if I had read the further I would have read that you live near Harrisville.  My brother is Bob Spencer, I am sure you know him.
I would love to see your mill sometime.
Please give me an email.
jspencer1@comcast.net   Maybe when I come up I can call you and see that mill.
By the way I live in Washington, Mi.
Jim  

Bro. Noble

Hi WC,

We bought our first WM about 10 years ago.  It was to do a better job of marketing our timber.  We've not regretted a minute of it.  You canenjoy not only making some pretty lumber, making a little cash, and managing your timber so that it gets more valuable while you harvest (if you do it right).  Makes a guy feel good all over.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

WoodChucker

Hi Jim, the diameter of the wheels are 18 3/4".  Building your own hey? Your a smarter man then I am then, wouldn't even know where to start with a project like that. I don't really know your brother, but I have heard the name. When ever your going to be in the area just let me know and we can set something up no problem, maybe by then I'll even know what the heck I'm doing,lol.  Good luck on your mill and keep us posted as to how it's going.

Noble, thanks for the advice and I'm looking forward to "feeling good all over" because right now I sort of hurt all over,lol.

R.T.

Thank You Sponsors!