iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1956 ford 600 farm tractor 5 speed transmision problem ?

Started by UNCLEBUCK, April 07, 2005, 09:53:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UNCLEBUCK

My dad got his old tractor all tore down and restoring it , keeps him busy and happy but he got transmision trouble . It is a 5 speed and works great except shifter always pops out of 3rd and 4th gear . When shifting into any other gear one can feel the shifter gently and solidly lock into its position but when shifting into 3rd and 4th gear the shifter just slides into place without any feeling and then pops out of gear when the clutch is let out . He has the cover off the transmision and everything looks perfect , all gears slide fully into place . He kind of has it narrowed down to a small side plate that keeps the shifting pattern in place but even that looks good. Has anyone ever encountered this trouble on a old ford tractor ? This is a 600 ford but it looks like alot of the rest like 8n,jubilee etc... Thanks for reading this. I will check back later
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

isawlogs

Unclebuck ...
check for a loose bushing on the shaft that suports the 3 and 4 gear ....   there should be no play on the shaft ...  When you release the clutch if there is any play the gears will pop out ....
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

etat

I hope you get it fixed.  I spent most of the day yesterday, no kidding, rebuilding the lift on my dad's ford 600 tractor!  I had not ever been into the lift before and I finally got it adjusted and working right after I took it back off and reinstalled the THIRD time. :)

Things I found wrong with the lift included a week spring on one of the valves.  Water mixed with the 90 weight oil.  A bent rod going to one of the valves.  Lots of slack in all of the adjustments inside of the thing. A tore leather bushing in the same groove that the o-ring goes in on the main piston that works the lift.

My dad sure was proud cause the thing had just about got to where it wouldn't work at all!  You ought to have seen him this morning when he came over.  I had left a lightweight blade in the up position and it didn't leak down all night.  :)

Also I had welded the nut on his steering wheel years ago.  Threads all stripped out. Yesterday I cut the nut back off I had welded and put on a new steering wheel and welded it tight,

Today (well I guess yesterday now) I put new brake pads on my truck and changed the oil and transmission fluid.  I was really suprised when I pulled the back hubs off and found it had brake shoes in the hub, along with the pads for the disc breaks.  A bit of studying and I figured out the shoes were for the emergency breaks.

No roofing the last two days because of rain.  :)

Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

UNCLEBUCK

Thanks isawlogs , I will have him check that out because that sounds like something he may missed , everything looks good looking at it but I bet he find bad bushing on the gear when he digs it out .  ck I made the mistake and got my dad a new steering wheel for his old handed down tractor for Christmas and one thing led to another and now I have got him to date new exhaust manifold,carb kit,all gauges,all drag links,speedo cable,hyd. lift overhaul kit,and rubber throttle grommet, and a thick ford shop manual, I know these old abused tractors are like opening up a can of worms but he so close now that I hate to see him button it all together and still have 3rd and 4th gear popping out . I do know that ford was ahead of its time for simplicity by peeking in on my dad out there and seeing what was once a tractor now scattered in pieces all over my woodshop , he even changed my radio station to the guy lombardo music of your life station, I think I created a monster ! Boy that is a wierd deal on your brake shoes isnt it ? I better have a peek at rear brakes on pickup because they squeakin allready after 6 months . I going to print this out for my dad so he can double check his lift kit he put in. Ok thanks isawlogs and ck . Its amazing how someone elses input really jumps out with answers. Thanks

UNCLEBUCK

I will have him check bushing on the" shaft" that supports 3rd and 4th gear . I had to read this again . Thanks

Minnesota_boy

Another thing to consider is a broken detent spring.  If the shaft that the shifter is on doesn't lock into either position, it will not stay in gear.  With the top off the transmission, check to see if the shifter moves too freely and fails to lock in either end position.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Weekend_Sawyer

If you need more input try www.yesterdaystractors.com
Go to the ford forum section. LOTS of help there.

Hey CK, My 8n leaks down too. Nice and sloooooo. I thought it was natural!
I'm goingto get in there this fall after the grass stops growing as this tractor currently is my mower.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

UNCLEBUCK

Just wanting to say thanks to Mn Boy and Weekend Sawyer also for your tips and the link .Now I wont hear from my dad for awhile as he be knee deep into his project .

etat

QuoteHey CK, My 8n leaks down too.

Leaking down slowly when the tractor is stopped and not running is pretty normal and doesn't hurt anything.  My dad's problem was it would leak down even when the tractor was moving and sometimes wouldn't pick up at all.  The last time I took it loose I removed the bolts and just stood it up and tied it to the steering wheel.  That way I was able to work the levers and arms and see where the actual slack was in the linkages.  The last time i had to adjust the slack out in the linkage to the little lever that works the load control thingy, something I hadn't done the first couple of times.  It was easy to spot with the lift assembly stood up and leaned against the steering wheel because in this position I could move the lift arms freely.  I adjusted the slack out with the lift arms and lever in the down position. I never had to do anything to the pump at all.

The leather bushing that goes besides the o-ring was really tight to get on.  I soaked it in oil and let it set a bit before being able to stretch it over the piston and get it in the groove.  Also the piston had some really rough casting flaws at the base of it.  I took it to the grinder and very carefully smoothed out the casting before trying to stretch that leather over it
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Thank You Sponsors!