iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What's a good size log for camp fires?

Started by Timberwerks, April 07, 2005, 08:52:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timberwerks

I'm going to persue the camp fire market but being new to this I'm not sure what would be a good size, comments?

Dale

ohsoloco

I cut my slabs in half until the fire gets big enough, then the eight-footers can go on  ;D

16-20" sounds good for a nice camp fire  :)

jjmk98k

Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

Kirk_Allen

I would think the 16-20 inch range would be fine but think about the size you cut.  If your going to have a set price for a small bundle, then go with shorter (16") pieces instead of 20". 

You may ask, whats 4" going to matter.  For every 4 bundles of the shorter logs you will have 1 extra bundle to sell, where as if you made them  20" you would lose the value of 1 bundle for every 4 sold.

This makes sense in my head but not sure I explained it very well...............ITS LATE ;D

Corley5

The smaller the better.  The faster the logs burn the sooner they'll be back to buy more ;)   
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

tnlogger

if you split some up real fine bundle them about half size and seel for kindlin.
the fesr slit them to about three" .  ;D will also burn much faster.
the inportent thing is the budle make it neat tie it up with baling twine and loop a string handel
so they can carry it, if it take 2 hands to move one bundle they'll buy ond, but with a handel
they can take two at a time .  :P
gene

Furby

That's what I'm doing with my edgings and scraps from making stickers. ;)
Not too many people sell kindlin.
Up at the lake where we go, the campfire wood market is hot!!!
A few people just off the Eway were making some $$$ selling firewood to the duners. We had a straight line wind go through that area several years ago, and these folks stockpiled a huge amount of wood. Most of it is still sitting there because a guy about a mile closer to the campgrounds and right on the main drag opened up shop, and undercut everyone else.
Every holiday weekend he works straight through. Looks like he is bringing in standing dead on the truck. Dumps it a few feet off the road in front of his garage where his splitter is set up. Spilts it as he sells it and he goes through a pretty large amount each weekend.
He keeps it going all summer, but his best weekends are the holidays.

tawilson

I've yet to do bundled campfire wood,  only by the face cord. I usually cut it longer than home firewood, 20" or so. Because I do wood by the cubic feet the fact that it is fewer pieces means less splitting.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

Frank_Pender

I either chipp all of the finer pieces of make it into camp type bundles that equal 1.5 cubic feet in size.  I have a jig that I build to hold the pieces as I saw them with a cutoff saw.  I too use twine and make a handle.  I know that 1,5 cubic feet is a large bundle, but for $5 it is the size I found that works best.  there are 22 bundles per ric; 66 per cord.  It takes lots of timebut I make the bundles when things are slow and chip when I have to get the scrap out of the way in a hurry.  I sell the chips and sawdust for $12 a yard.
Frank Pender

Thank You Sponsors!