iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

how much to pay

Started by Quebecnewf, April 07, 2005, 07:42:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quebecnewf

assuming one wanted a forest inventory done for a certain area

how much would one be expected to pay. Is it so much a square klm and what type of info will that report have.

sorry if thequestion is vague

Kirk_Allen

Dont know how much it is in Canada but here in Illinois its free.  Simply contacting the state forester for our district will get the ball rollling.  They did a complete inventory of my brothers woods, established a long term plan, and a year later marked the trees to be harvested and then put it out for bid. 

Didnt cost my brother a penney! 

Ga_Boy

Kirk,

That is a deal.

I am looking at 147 acers here in Maryland.  I called the state three days ago and still have not heard back.  I called a forester; they quoted $40/hour.

Mark
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Ron Wenrich

That's cheaper than a mechanic or plumber.   :D

Some states won't do more than a few days work, and there is a couple of year backlog.  Most refer you to a forester of some type.

Cost per acre would vary on how intense you want your inventory, terrain, size of trees, and season of the year.  Worst areas are swamps with lots of underbrush.  Best time to see trees is when the understory doesn't have any leaves.   
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

SwampDonkey

Here in NB cruising isn't done for free, not even by non-profit organizations, such as marketing boards. It would be unfair competition to those that make a living at it. There are subsidies in some juridictions (up to 90 %), but the compiler gets paid by someone and it is usually geared toward a woodlot management plan, not just cruising for harvest volumes.

In my kneck of the woods you pay by the acre. It can range from $2.75/acre to $10/acre, maybe more. Sometimes the $2.75/acre has more into it than a $10/acre cruise. Depends alot on the work ethic of the cruiser.

What you get is a stand type map and/or aerial photo which delineates the different types of species growing on the lot, the acreage of each stand. Your map may show streams, woodlot boundaries, contours, and roads. Some folks will delineate out inoperable lands (swamps, beaver ponds and ravines etc). You get volumes of wood by species for each stand, some folks will give volumes in several units (cords, m^3st, cunits, MBFM). You should get stand descriptions and possibly prescriptions, but these are usually part of a 'Management Plan'.

You can check out my website for additional info if you wish. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

OLD_ JD

Quebecnewf
here how it work here in quebec....first if u own more then 4hectar u can ask to be consider as woodland owner,second ask ure local forest engenir about a management plan who it will be payd by the gouvernement to 90% of is cost(if there still some $ out of there buget :D)after he will be able to get u in some selective cutting programe where u can get subsitys to HELP u to payd to cost of ure program,as ex. for thinning evergreen stand it can be aroud $600.00 per ha...BUT u will have to pay the engenir for is marking and all the paper work,that will cost u about ½ of it :-X...and u CANT do any clean cutting after for a period of 5 year....
there some engenir consultant who will offer u to do all the management whit some logger who they work for them....PLZ BE CAREFUL...whene come the time to select trees,if they can make monney on ure wood,there selection get a lot more for $$$$$$$$ then about ure woodlot

hope that can help   JD
canadien forest ranger

SwampDonkey

Quebecnewf,

You can't be far from the tree nursey. They supply quite a few trees here in New Brunswick for planting on private woodlots. Just for your information, we have an $8 million silviculture budget on private woodlots, funded by provincial government. This program covers planting, thinning, plantation cleaning, site prep, spraying, and management plans. Forest Products Marketing Boards administer the program.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

firedog

I just looked at the paper work from the cruise of my place and it was $50 per hour plus mileage. It came to just over $900 for 16 acres.  Will find out in a month or so how acurate he was. That is when they shold be done hauling everything.

Quebecnewf

We are in Northern Quebec This would be on Crown Land. We both have CAAF for this area but we are looking to get bigger CAAF and move into a different area.

SwampDonkey

Quebecnewf,

What is CAAF? Something to do with a Crown Land Timber license?

duramax

Yes a CAAF is what they call the timber licenses in Quebec. The Ministry of Natural Resouces are cutting them back this year by 20% . The purpose is to more or less starve off the smaller mills as there are too many for the supply of wood that is left. There has been 2 or 3 major mill closings in the western Quebec area in the last year and a half.
1999 Timbco T455D , 1999 Timberjack 560 dual arch grapple, 1987 Timberjack 450 cable , 1998 Husky Brute XL235 loader w/slasher

SwampDonkey

welcome aboard duramax,

I heard today alot of loggers, quit logging this past fall, for a local mill. Not enough ground to work on to keep the payments up on their equipment.

I guess (only speculation here) that the AAC in your area must be below the harvest levels. It might also be tied into the hauling distance and rising fuel costs to. But, from what your saying it doesn't seem so. Too many mills, I guess. Maybe even over supply of finished product. New Brunswick is just a small place compared to Quebec. In my area the AAC is well above the harvest levels according to recent number crunching. Looks like farming to me, all the big guys squeezed all the small family dairy farms out and moved to milk marketing boards to stabalize the market. It's going to happen with potato processors to I think.

Thank You Sponsors!