iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ice jams in river.. Flooding.***MORE FLOOD PICS***

Started by Danny_S, April 07, 2005, 07:02:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny_S

Here are some pictures of the ice jams in the St.John River in Hartland, New Brunswick..

Plasma cutting at Craig Manufacturing

firtol88

Nice pics.
The kids got a big kick out of them.
There's men who drink Guinness, and there's men who drink what's left when we're done with it.

* Note to Democrats, yes please flee to Canada!

Fraxinus

WHOA!
I've been across that bridge.  Isn't it the longest covered bridge in the world?  As I recall, the deck of the bridge is paved.  That's the only one I've ever seen that was paved.
A few years ago when we took a tour of New Brunswick (around '91, I'm guessing) we stayed at a motel that was just near the east end of that bridge.  It was quite close and we could see the bridge from it.
Grandchildren, Bluegrass music, old tractors, trees and sawmills.  It don't get no better'n that!

Furby

tnlogger

8) 8) 8)     looks like spring thaw in on up north  ;D
gene

Corley5

8) 8) 8) Pics!!!  And the people in town complain when the Sturgeon backs up from ice dams when it's below zero ::)  They ain't seen nothin' ;) ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Roxie

Great pictures!   :)  The one with the people standing near it sure gives it perspective, on just how BIG those ice chunks have become!   :D
Say when

Danny_S

That right there is for sure the Longest Covered Bridge in the world...  And I cross it on my way 2 and from work everyday! My work is just off the east end of the bridge.I was told that the ice has in the past drug underneath the bridge before but has never moved it... it sure would be a shame to lose it.. it is a big attraction in the tourist season...

Up river from that the roads were closed because of the water and ice on the roads...

anyone else have some good pics of ice jams near you?

Fraxinus

We live in Woodstock, NH and wanted to visit Woodstock, NB :) :)
After leaving there, we went north and visited the logging camp in Kedgwick.  Found that those camps were set up pretty much the same as the ones here in NH were.  Same rules and all.
We also visited one on the Miramichie (did I spell that right?).  I have read a lot of books on logging history in these parts.
Also visited Acadian Village and King's Landing.  I really enjoyed King's Landing.  Have to go back again some day to see it again.  While there, I bought a book by Harold Blaney.  Have you ever heard of it or read it?
Grandchildren, Bluegrass music, old tractors, trees and sawmills.  It don't get no better'n that!

Danny_S

Mirimachi.. I think... We really enjoy Kings landing as well, was there last summer for a tour. My father works at a new Tourism information center that was built right beside kings Landing. He got us some cheap tickets!

I havent heard of that author, not much into reading, I guess. There is lots of logging history here with the river and all the log drives and such..

SwampDonkey

Wow, good thing the ice is gone outta the Mainstream (Beacaguimac), looks like the water is mighty close to the belly of the bridge. I've been out to Florenceville and the ice is all gone there. Dunno what's going on a Perth-Andover.

The pictures in this webpage are negatives, so it's like looking in a  mirror, notice the sign ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

iain

Dannys the only real ice we get here these days, is when the freezer needs defrosting :D

iain

OLD_ JD

my mother she native from acadia area,she was telling story about how much snow they could recive ,my grand-pop, was taking is shovel in the house at night,sometime in the morning they need it to dig there way out from the front door.... :o :o :o
canadien forest ranger

SwampDonkey

OLD_JD,

I know on the Gaspe the snow got so deep they used to put planking from snow drift to snow drift to drive the car under and into the garage. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Furby

Danny S,
Here is a link to a thread where I posted some pics a couple months ago.
This ice jam doesn't even come close to the one you have pictured though.
Polar Express
You'll have to scroll down to see all of the pics. ;)

SwampDonkey

Danny_S

The ice here in woodstock, New Brunswick has let go this afternoon, and has started to back up the water... here are a couple of pics ..

I figure this will be over the road soon... if it dont let go further down river...

the walking trail here is covered and rising... there is a college around the corner of that bridge and the parking lot there is completely flooded..

SwampDonkey

Danny, is that the Meduxnekeag River ice coming down by the bridge? or has it let go yet? It was flooded up along Bell Settlement along the Meduxnekeag R earlier this week.

The first photo looks like your on the east side of the Saint John River above Northampton.

Danny_S

Swamp, yes,....yes, and yes!..  The meduxnekeag is mostly all let go but now flooding up. That is from the Northampton side... I wouldnt be surprised if it is flooded now...

pappy

We are gonna take a ride to Allagash and take some pics... see y'all in a shake or two...

a post and pics I did from last years jamb in down town Fort Kent.....  this was after the water receded

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=6702.msg92859#msg92859
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Danny_S

This is the latest news, the ice jams in Perth-Andover, New Brunswick. The first picture are old railway bridge piers that are about 200' up river from the bridge in the lower picture....

The water in the first picture is floodwater from heavy rains last summer.. usually the water is alot lower. School was cancelled there today. This bridge has been threatened many times in the past and they recently raised it. But as you can see, it is still getting close!

SwampDonkey

Roads are closed in sections above and below the town of Perth, as of 6:00 PM AST today. There are several businesses with flood water in their basements. The water did not seem to be rising at that time.

My uncle had to walk to Perth this morning to work, that included walking through a section of woods.

cheers

pappy

On our ride up to where the BIG ice jamb is at Walker Brook we took some pics of the river on the way...

this one is in the small town of Saint John, Maine...

This is a shot standing right out the back door of Mikey's, a good friend  of mine in the town of Saint Francis... The  normal river level hear is around 30 feet lower  :o  you're looking across the border into Canada.

We saw some Buffalo on the way. Old Lou raises them for mostly a hobby. We started losing our light  :-\

Here is the BIG ice jam at Walker Brook normal level is 30 feet below.. the river narrows up here and there's a sharp bend at the bottom of the rapids so the ice usually jams up here.  Some years it's really bad. 

Back in 1991 the ice took out two bridges about two miles down river.  The small one over the Little Black River (at the confluence of the Saint John) was pushed up stream about 1000 feet and the the one over the Saint John was knocked off the cement piers, about 40 feet above the river bed. I saw a home video when it went down, you really get to see the power an ice flow has.

I walked down river a few yards and took more pics..  this one is looking from a camp site on the bank.. Don't think I'd want to pitch a tent right now!! Notice the ice chunks

I then stepped out onto a good size burg ( the ice wasn't moving while we were there) and got some more shots.  This one is looking down river.

From the same spot but looking up river, you can see a lady standing out on the ice taking pics.

On our way home while crossing the Allagash bridge Jen noticed a Bald Eagle down on the ice of the river.  I grabbed the camera and made my way over and got a shot of it.  It was feeding on some deer carcases the woods workers find from coyote kills and place on the ice all winter to feed them.

We were told another sizable jam let go up river at Nine Mile bridge and was heading down.  Hope the weather stays cool for the next week or so..  If we were to get 2 to 3 inches of rain there will be huge damage all along the river.

A link to a local news paper
http://www.bangornews.com/news/templates/?a=111926

will try to keep ya posted...

"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

submarinesailor

Hey Pappy,

Just got back from the road-trip to NAS Brunswick.  All went well until I started to drive back to the Portland airport.  This good old southern boy doesn't like driving in white-out conditions.:o :o :o :o :o Especially during the month of April.  It was 65 degrees when I left Virginia.  Yes, I know – STOP COMPLANING. 

It was a very successful trip – meet with some real nice people and of course, the countryside is beautiful. ;D ;D ;D ;D  Stopped by the Wood Butcher Tool Store in Woodrich on the way back.  They have some very neat tools in there.  Had a VERY hard time not spending any money – very hard time!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Love it every time I visit the area. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

subsailor

pappy

subsailor,

Brunswick is way south of here ( about 6hrs.) but if'n you get back up to this corner of the world again maybe you could extend a few extra days and we go do us some landlock and trout fishing...  I got a friend who was also a "subsailor" I'd like to sit around a fire and listen to the stories you guys could tell!!  :)

and the country side is even nicer up here, and the chance of having a white out in June is usaully not gonna happen BUT ya never can tell...  ;D 

Thank You Sponsors!