iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logs of gold

Started by oakiemac, April 06, 2005, 03:06:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakiemac

I just finished talking with one of my main lumber suppliers who operates a tree service. He has big equipment with crane trucks and large bucket trucks so he gets large land clearing and large tree jobs. Some of the logs he brings in are really nice. I just sawed a 53" black oak log and have sawed many 40 inchers.
Anyways, he has decided to cut everything up for firewood. He don't care if it is a straight red oak or a twisted Ash, it is all going into the firewood pile. I showed him some numbers that I came up with from information that I got here on the forum and I thought I could at least buy some of the more expensive logs from him like cherry or walnut but nope. He claims that he gets $800/cord for the firewood by bundling them in little packages with neat little handles. That works out to be $1.60/bf-not too bad for green lumber. I certainly can't afford to buy logs at that price.
Anyone else seen this happen? I don't know what kind of market he has but I hope he finds out that you have to sell alot of those little bundles to get your $800.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

RacinRex

I hate to be a negative-nancy but.....

Does the word labor mean anything to this guy? I live about 5 miles from Watkins Glen International and have sold firewood to the campers during race weekend. I sell it for 5 bucks all you can carry then just sit there and watch the people bury their buddy trying to get all the bang for their buck. We drink beers sit in lawn chairs and laugh like you can not imagine. I don't think that even equates to 800 bux a cord and we have a CAPTIVE Audience. 160 armloads I'm sure is more than a cord of firewood.

I'm pretty sure he was over estimating his market. He'll probably rethink... or he was lying cause he don't like ya.... ;-)
81 Massey Ferguson 275 W/ loader
Stihl 046
Simplicity Bandmill
04 Dodge 2500 4x4 Quad Cab CTD
A whole shop full of wood working tools
and this is my hobby :)

Firewood Farm

I recently saw those bundles for sale at Lowes. I think they were $4.95 and it looked like about 10 pieces of firewood. Now if this guy has customer like Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, etc. his numbers may not be too far off. Ya, he has labor costs, but he could still be making a good bit on firewood without ever having to deal with retail customers. Who knows?!

Joe
If a man is in a forest and there's no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?

Kelvin

I've never been able to buy a log from tree service guys around here who also sell firewood.  They get $60 a cord dried and del, and thats what they want me to pay for the tree!  Good deal eh?  I think they feel if they don't have the wood they might run out of firewood?  Still best to buy from a logger who cuts better lumber, and knows what a grade is.  This will be consistant.
KP

FeltzE

Some of the guys out here sell their grade logs for lumber at $350 and up a mbf. Pulp hardwood is $16/ton

Now he may be correct that he can get that kind of $ for small bundles but how is he making his fire wood, a semi automated multi splitter with cutoff saw? Or single splitter and chain saw? There is some equity lost in labor where the best logs should be sold, offer him a fair price for GRADE logs (free of metal of course) and go from there.

One thing I've learned from the tree service guys is money talks....

Make the offer

Eric

oakiemac

I agree that buying from a logger is better, but also more expensive and is cash up front. With this guy I had a deal worked out that he didn't get paid until I did. That way I wasn't out cash and if the logs were full of metal or rot it didn't cost me anything.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Firewood Farm

Quote from: oakiemac on April 06, 2005, 07:50:10 PM
I agree that buying from a logger is better, but also more expensive and is cash up front. With this guy I had a deal worked out that he didn't get paid until I did. That way I wasn't out cash and if the logs were full of metal or rot it didn't cost me anything.

OK, now that have provided "the rest of the story", I have a feeling that the guy didn't really like that arrangement and this is his way of getting out of it without coming right out and telling you.

It's just a hunch, but that's my take on the situation.

Joe
If a man is in a forest and there's no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?

Ga_Boy

Okie,

I gotta agree; now that you let us in on you agreement with this fella, it sounds like he wanted out.

I agree with Eric, make an offer to purchase up front and I bet you will get the stuff you want.  Coinage does make people cahnge their mind.

Just my take.

Mark
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

etat

I can't help it.  When I saw the title of this thread 'Logs of Gold'  it brings to mind that time that guy was trying to sell shares in all them millions of dollars of big redwood trees that was sunk in the ocean. ??? 
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

J_T

Yep I think he is a un happy camper :'( That is good Rex watching greed at it"s best 8) Ck you still got your stock ???
Jim Holloway

Furby

I gotta agree Oakie, sounds like he wanted out. I can only imagine the trouble involved in cutting up a 40" log into fire wood that is still long enough for those bundles.

However, I spoke with a fellow working for a tree service last fall and he commented that he had spent all day Sat. splitting wood for his boss for $20. If it was true.................

asy

Quote from: cktate on April 06, 2005, 08:18:11 PM
I can't help it.  When I saw the title of this thread 'Logs of Gold'  it brings to mind that time that guy was trying to sell shares in all them millions of dollars of big redwood trees that was sunk in the ocean. ??? 
Nah, Deddy's sent his gators to protect those! 

can't be gotten to any more.

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Engineer

I've seen some nice logs in firewood piles and in tree service trucks.  I'm tempted to offer an equal volume of cut firewood in exchange for those logs.  Maybe that might be a reasonable approach?

rebocardo

> I'm tempted to offer an equal volume of cut firewood in exchange for those logs. 
> Maybe that might be a reasonable approach?

Tree services companies want less wood, not more. Selling firewood is a way to get rid of product so you do not have to pay for dumping or chipping it. They make the money in cutting the trees. If you want the trees that bad, give him a price of how much on your trailer and out of there at the job site.

Fla._Deadheader

Gotta agree. He was sending good "Lookin" logs and maybe feelin like you was draggin on your end. I would not like that deal, myself.

Call the guy, or, go see him.  I youster be in the firewood business. With all todays hydraulical contraptions, ya still gotta handle them pieces. $$$$ talks
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

FeltzE

Keep in mind that the tree service guys are normally optimized to make money cutting down trees and the tree itself is a byproduct of the processto be disposed of hopefully at a maximum profit.

Firewood is a labor intensive off season cash and labor recovery process of th e "byproduct" of doing business as a tree service. It can provide some labor tasks for the guys when they aren't being productive cutting trees down in the off season and at the same time making a small income for everyone involved.

Unless you make it easier or more profitable for the tree service owner you probably won't get his attention. Keep in mind the best logs for sawmilling are also the easiest and least labor intensive logs to convert to fire wood as well.

Eric

Daren

I deal with more than one tree service, they are all working in different ways when it comes to saw logs and fire wood. The guy that I like dealing with most (he get the best logs, has never brought me a nail, and knows where to put them in the yard when I am gone) is looking at them as a byproduct of his business, and wants to make a buck if he can. Since he does a good deal of residential, there is alot of time he can't get into a yard without tearing it up because of the weather. He will have his guys cut decent sawlogs into firewood to keep them from going looking for another job, it may cost him in difference in sell price and paid labor. But, he has a good crew and knows when the days are long and dry they will make that up in a hurry.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

oakiemac

I did offer him cash! I offered to buy the logs outright and save him from having to cut them up for fire wood. The problem is that he is (or thinks he is) getting big bucks for firewood and it is something that can keep him going through the winter when he isn't cutting.
He did agree to sell me any cherry that he gets. I just cut 2 large ones from his yard and they turned out to be curly. ;D ;D

etat

QuoteHowever, I spoke with a fellow working for a tree service last fall and he commented that he had spent all day Sat. splitting wood for his boss for $20.

Do ya think ya could get me this guys Phone Number.  If he'd move down south I'd be glad to DOUBLE his pay for weekend work! ;D
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Furby

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Nope, he disappeared from the crew not long after.
He really wasn't much of a worker anyways, might explain why he only made $20 bucks.  ;)
The only person doing less then this guy was me, and I was just a watching! ;D

Thank You Sponsors!