iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

link to last known steam powered sawmill

Started by WoodSmith, April 06, 2005, 01:27:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodSmith

beenthere

Woodsmith
Some excellent photo's of a big log mill, IMO. Photo's in a mill are difficult to take, and this fellow probably was helped by the down time associated with sawing the 80' timber.

Well done, although some of the terminology was not what I was accustomed to, such as the setworks referred to as a 'ratchet'.  But I may be out in left field on that too.  ;D

Great walk-through of a mill, no two ways about it.   Thanks for posting.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bibbyman

Yowsers! ... I think in all that time they would have come up with a way to sharpen the blade while ON the mill.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

sigidi

I've got a steam mill just down the road...

the link doesn't do the place any justice...
http://www.qmuseum.qld.gov.au/campuses/woodworks.asp
Always willing to help - Allan

tnlogger

woodsmith  8) that is one fine link realy injoyed it thanks.
gene

Rocky_Ranger

I started in a mill similiar to that scaling logs for Uncle Sam back in the late 70's in Oregon.  Brings back fond memories (at least their fond now).  Great pictures!
RETIRED!

leweee

QuoteYowsers! ... I think in all that time they would have come up with a way to sharpen the blade while ON the mill.

Bibby is that why you use Re-sharpe ;D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

WoodSmith

My Dad who still lives here in Oregon sent me the link. He was telling me that he worked in a mill similar to this one. Turns out our family has a long line of sawmill works. I will ask him if he knows how they determined the job descriptions. We are planning to go and visit this mill it is only about 60 miles from us. When we do I'll try to take some additional pic's.
I've got to see those huge timbers in person.

Tom_Averwater

There is a steam sawmill at Heston , Indiana
He who dies with the most toys wins .

Percy

Thank you Woodsmith. That is very cool(or hot mebey :D).  I can cut 26 footers these days and thot I was stylin till I seen this. Im thinkin for 80 footers, they can name their price.
With energy prices soaring, a steam powered mill may be feasable agin mebey. Sure would be nice to bypass the gougers ya?? :D :D

One thing though, if that was in B.C and the WCB (workers Comp) seen those pics, theyd be shut down in a second.  Round here, if you say the word "work " and you aint wearing full muffs and a hardhat AND face/eye protection and those goofy high-vis vests in a mill, your in trouble :o

GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Sawing Logz

Thank you Woodsmith. Great pics and outstanding history.

Jeff
City Forrest Treecycler

woodsteach

Thank you Woodsmith.

I just finished showing the site to my high school woods students and man they were impressed

Woodsteach
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

rebocardo

Impressive, what a great link and business.

I bet they do not sharpen the blade on the mill because of down time and just swap them out.

Mark M

WoodSmith

QuoteThis isn't a production mill but it's pretty fun to watch.

http://www.pbase.com/mmathys/bridenroen_sawmill

Nice setup and preservation of some fantastic old equipment, great site to visit. Thanks MarkM

woodchopper

This think kinda makes some of the bandmills we talk about kinda insignificant don't it???  Great pics and a great site...
We don't get older -  we just get better!

Gilman

I was going to surprise Kathy and take her there for our honeymoon.  Once she found out I had a place picked out to go, she was unbearable.  I figured that if I didn't tell her where we were going, I'd might as well call off the wedding. She's looking forward to visiting the sawmill. On the otherhand, my mother had a fit that I would be taking my wife to a sawmill for a honeymoon trip.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

rvrdivr

Since my helper organizes my logs I couldn't wait to tell him his new title was "pond monkey"! :D :D Since we don't have a pond I quess he's just a yard monkey ;D Either/or we had a good laugh.
Thanks for the links guys!

Frank_Pender

Just tell your future mother-in-law that she is not the one you are taking on the honeymoon.  Besides, you can come here and I will pitch a 10' x 12' tent for you folks and let the coyotes and frogs serenade you to sleep. 8)

From here is is about an hours drive down through some pretty country that was part of the Applegate pioneers trail on the first move to the Left Coast. ;D
Frank Pender

Gilman

:D :D

Does anyone know their address?  Or have a link to a map?  I can't find their address, probably right under my nose.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

shopteacher

Can  you get a tour of the mill if'n you travel 3000 miles to see it?
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Thank You Sponsors!