iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Which Fir Seedling to plant?

Started by firedog, April 04, 2005, 06:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firedog

I am in the process of having 16 acres in SW Washington clear-cut. I am trying to decide which Douglas Fir Seedling I want to use to replant. Was leaning towards the Weyerhaeuser Genetically improved. Because of its fast growth rate. My concern is that it will also mature faster and then start to deteriorate. I don't intend to cut this property again or if it does happen it will be a 40 or more years away. I want a tree that will grow fast to get back into a nice stand of timber. What are some opinions on this seedling or ideas of a better one? I will be planting mostly Fir, some cedar and a few hundred redwoods (for looks).

Frank_Pender

Firedog, I would suggest that you go ahead and plant the genetically improved seedlings and plant them closer than normal.  That way as they begin to get up there, 20 or 30 feet, you can thin to the quality trees and still have a nice stant.  I often plant on a 5' spacing and thin the first time to a 10 or 12 and the second time to a 20' spacing.   The last cutting I do not plan on being around.  :'(

Are you planting Sequoia or West Coast Redwood.   With the Sequoia I would stongly suggest a similar approach as they will grow tall faster and not put a great deal of girth on and rob the surrounding area of lots of sunlight.   The first thinning then can take place at about 20 years or perhaps at 15 depending on soil site, etc..

If the cedar is Western Red, they will need plenty of water and sunlight in the beginning.  Plan on a rotation of about 70 years for the cedar. :'(
Frank Pender

Tillaway

You will get better growth to start using container stock, plugs in other words.  They are much easier to plant correctly and less prone to planting shock.  Bare roots are falling out of favor quickly.  We plant as many container grown as we can get away with since the state owns a bare root nursery and they do feel a bit slighted if we don't use any.  The bare roots only make up just enough to keep the nursery happy, or in other words a very small percentage of what we plant.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

firedog

Thanks for the info I will look into  all of your suggestions.

Thank You Sponsors!