iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT 15

Started by jeepcj, April 04, 2005, 08:28:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeepcj

Anybody using a LT15 diesel? What are your thoughts?
Cedar cutter

Robert_in_W._Mi.

What brand and model of diesel is it???  I hope it isn't one of the aluminum block diesels.

Robert

chet

Quote from: Robert_in_W._Mi. on April 04, 2005, 10:57:02 AM
  What brand and model of diesel is it???  I hope it isn't one of the aluminum block diesels.

Robert

I've ran them aluminum block diesels for years now, with extremely good results.   :)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

D._Frederick

WM went from an aluminum block engine to cast iron for a reason!

MartyParsons

The engine is Yanmar 10 hp. Customers run all day on one tank full of fuel. Wood-Mizer Maine sells a lot of these units. We have only sold a few diesels. The 15 hp gas is what many want here in our area. One ( LT15 Diesel is with in 2 miles of the shop. Owner has circle mill and saws cants and resaws on the LT15. He is very happy with the results. He saws the slabs the cants and the labor force saws them on the LT15 while he is in the woods getting more logs.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

jeepcj

Any tips on set up and running a LT-15? How do you guys that own one have it set up? Planning on sawing mostly eastern red cedar. Any tips will be greatly appreciated. Charlie
Cedar cutter

Bibbyman

I don't think there is much to setting one up.  I've helped the WM guys set one up LT15s at the shows and load them up after.  Two guys and 15 minutes to unload, level and get going.  Another 15 to pick it up and put it in the back of a standard PU.

Some guys have sawed out something like 8x8 skidblocks to put their logs on. It's about the right height to roll the logs right onto the mill.

Some go for the trailer package.  I guess they have their reasons but seeing how easy it is to load into a standard PU,  I'd go that way or maybe get a 12' bumper hitch drop down trailer to haul it on.  I'd be about the same cost and then you'd also have a trailer.

If you are planning to just saw in one place where you have electricity,  I'd look into getting one with the electric motor.  Lot less noise, no smoke, gas, etc.  Would take a hookup much like a cloths dryer.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Part_Timer

I use scrap 2x6 under the leveling screws for a larger foot print than the metal washers. 
    To move mine I have a 10' tilt bed trailer.  I just use a farm jack in the middle to raise the mill then tilt the trailer bed and back up under it.  Push the cutting head to the front and the bed drops and lock every thing down.  It's that easy.
     Look at the modifications post on the forum.  I'm going do 5 or six of them to mine.  I've even got a couple others that would be for LT-15 only.  If I get them done this weekend I'll post some pics.
     If your close you can come out and try mine if you want. 

Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

jeepcj

Thanks for the info. Looking at getting a LT-15 soon to use around here. Will be great to level tables and cut all kinds of small stuff, plus some bigger stuff occosionally. Been making cedar log furniture and it will be a good investment in my small business. Thanks, Charley
Cedar cutter

Thank You Sponsors!