iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bringing bugs to the mill

Started by Daren, April 03, 2005, 12:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daren

I didn't start sawing until this winter, so make me feel better about my bug worries. What about all the grubs,termites,  p.p.b., carpenter ants.. you bring to the mill and saw out of their home. Are they going to look for a new one in the air dry stacks? I sawed a walnut last week that looked decent from the out except for one little spot on the butt, but when I slabbed it off the ants with wings (carpenter ants?, I know about as much about wood bugs as I do wood) rolled out of it like something in a horror movie.
When I set up my mill stationary in a shed I built I had housekeeping in mind, the cutting part of the track is outside an over head door, there is just enough track inside to pull the head in and shut the door at night. My sawdust is outside and mother nature takes care of cleanup on a windy day. I did find some of those ants staggering around inside though. The track is hanging out of the same shed I dry my wood in.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

MemphisLogger

Yard hygiene is important. By keeping the base of your AD piles clear, you'll be able to readily see the termites if/when they come for your stash.

Most of the critters that come with logs are vanquished once the wood is sawn and stickered. PPB would be the big exception but they'd not likely come in a fresh log but rather on the wing or from infested lumber introduced to your space. Clean stacks also help with this--you'll be better able to know they're there if you can see/identify their frass if they are. Of course, green wood borers will take up in any logs you have lying around but will usually only eat your sapwood.

Ants aren't interested in eating wood--they just make homes (galleries) in it. The ones with wings will fly off to start more colonies. They like to do this in rotton inclusions or hearts of trees where they don't have to work so hard to excavate. Once lumber starts to dry and any rot present stops, the ants won't have much use for it anymore.

I periodically sweep up around and then dust the bases of my AD piles with borates. I take this opportunity to identify any insect that are around and then learn myself about them on the net. Most of the beetles, ants, etc. that are around have lifecycles related to standing trees or rotting logs and I'm happy to share my space with them. Termites and PPB are immediately dealt with by chemical, kiln or fire.

:)       
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

Daren

Thanks Scott, I do feel better. I just threw termites is there, it was the ants and b.b.p. that I was really thinking about. I do keep around the stacks clean, where I dry is where I sell it. I try to keep the mess down for the customers if nothing else. Even though there first impression I guess would be "Look at all those logs this guy has laying around his yard, I'm glad I'm not his nieghbor!"

Cedarman

The Feds from the Ag Dept. came by thursday to put up bug traps to see if there were any alien cedar pests around.  They picked our mill because we get cedar from a hundred mile radius.  They did this 3 or 4 years ago and everything came out just fine.  Hope it does this time.  It is kind of nice that I get the insect checking done for me.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

rebocardo

I had that worry about ants and what I have seen is you are basically bringing them into enemy terrority where they are outnumbered and have no base. They pretty much get wiped out in short order.

gary

Daren

Powder Post Beetle, from my experience as a home improvement contractor they can do serious damage. They are sneaky, most homeowners know what termite runs are, but they can't figure out where that "dust" keeps coming from on the basement floor. Darn bugs are eating the floor joists.

rs1626

does anybody have a picture of ppb

Thank You Sponsors!