iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna future

Started by sawguy21, April 03, 2005, 10:46:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawguy21

I had an interesting conversation with one of the Husky distributor people yesterday. E-lux is setting Husqvarna up as the parent  company of all the  chainsaw and lawn/garden equipment. They will have their own board of directors and be listed on the stock exchange. This will create the worlds largest manufacturer of these products. The E-lux references will disappear.
E-lux is returning to their core business of so called "white goods" , electrical appliances. They are keeping Frigidaire and McCulloch which in Europe is well known for commercial coolers. The only gas product Mac has there is a small line of lawnmowers.
Apparently, Stihl is breaking into a sweat and is planning to go public for the first time. This could get interesting.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

DanG

Could be the beginning of the end, for a great line of products. :-\  Public Corporations tend to be more worried about the stock price than the quality of their products.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Firewood Farm

Quote from: sawguy21 on April 03, 2005, 10:46:38 AM
Apparently, Stihl is breaking into a sweat and is planning to go public for the first time. This could get interesting.

Who says "Stihl is breaking into a sweat"? For years, people have been insisting that Stihl has to change marketing, distribution, pricing, products, etc. etc. etc. to remain competitive. But for the most part, they did not. And they remain the most recognized name in the industry.

IMO, all of this is simple outsider speculation with about the same predictability of a stock market forecast. I just gives fuel to those who insist on perpetuating the Stihl vs. Husky debate.

Joe
If a man is in a forest and there's no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?

fishhuntcutwood

I agree with Dan and Joe.  I'd hate to see Stihl compromise what they are.  And as of yet, they have not.  Alot of folks will complain about Stihl for one reason or another, but hey, it's lonely at the top.

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

Lobo

Electrolux has been raping the profits from all their saw and outdoor power equipment divisions for years now and sending the profits in to the parent company's coffers. The quality of Husky and Jonsered may not be what it once was, never mind their other divisions such as Poulan, McCullogh, Partner, Pioneer which are manufacturing big box store equipment selling for low dollars. Going public will give them the chance to reap one last big pay-off and send  it in to Electrolux coffers.
This is regularly seen in big companies which often make acquisitions, once the acquisitions are almost drained, no longer as profitable and its high earnings potential for the future significantly disturb, you turn around and make it public to get every last drop of money out of it. Then they eventually end up like Homelite and McCullogh.
Pitty

mshillbilly

wonder whats going to happen to the lower end saws like poulan, will they fall under husky or eletro. If they fall under husky I hope money is put back in to try to bring poulan rep back to what it use to be. Same thing kinda happened to winchester guns, brownings parent company finally bought them now they produse a good product again.

Lobo

fishhuntcutwood

Quote from: Lobo on April 03, 2005, 10:07:42 PM

I seriously doubt it

I'd have to agree with Lobo.  And this is not a slam against Husky or a chime for Stihl, but they need to put money into keeping themselves competitive with Stihl.  I've read and heard alot of negative feedback about Husky's decision to sell themselves at Lowe's.  Good, bad or otherwise, it was seen by alot of folks as a sell out, and a cry for help.  Whether it was or not, or whether it was a good idea, or whatever everyone's opinion is, Stihl still sells the fact that they are still only available through dealers.  And regardless of how everyone feels about that, look at Poulan, Homelite and Mac.  Does the Husky move to sell at Lowe's sound familiar?  I personally think Husky makes a good product, but I don't think Lowe's is helping their credibility.  Bailey's, yes, Lowe's no.

Just my thoughts...let the barrage begin...

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

sawguy21

I am not sure it is a bad thing. Husqvarna  will no longer have the E-lux teat for sustenance but will not be subject to a board of directors whose main interest is refrigerators. Certainly there will be some reorganization and some less profitable lines could disappear but overall, the company could become stronger.
I also believe Stihl will be forced to go public to maintain their place in the market. They are now too big to rely on private capital. The downside is that it takes control away from the Stihl family who are directly involved in the industry. This may have been part of Husqvarna's problems with E-lux.
It is going to be a tough battle.

Chris J

I hope that this works out for Husky.  If they can start producing more modern, better quality saws (& other power equipment) for a good price, then that will give Stihl some incentive not to get complacent.  The real winners will be the folks using their equipment.  Not that anyone around here cares about quality chainsaws  :D :D :D.
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

Firewood Farm

Quote from: Mucha_Nada on April 05, 2005, 05:55:57 PM...If they can start producing more modern, better quality saws (& other power equipment) for a good price, then that will give Stihl some incentive not to get complacent...

Absolutely. I have never owned a Husky, because I have always been happy with Stihl, but I sure want to see Husky succeed so we have two good companies battling to be #1 and constantly forcing innovation and improvement.

Joe
If a man is in a forest and there's no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?

Sprucegum

I bought my first "serious" chainsaw today, and its a Husky.

First reason - I like the dealer

Secondly - I believe having Husky as the new parent of the chainsaw group can mean a better quality and more focused mission statement.

sawguy21

I have no problem with the quality of the Husky product built in Sweden and they have some innovative technology coming up.  I know this will start a heated discussion but I would really like to try Stihl's 4-mix engine on a saw. Now I am runnin for a foxhole. INCOMING :D :D

fishhuntcutwood

No need to run and hide.  The 4 Mix is supposed to be the face of things to come.  Emissions are on the hit list nowadays.

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

StihlDoc

No need for a 4-cycle chainsaw from STIHL at this time.

tony_marks

huskys smart move would be to maintain quality to keep its excellent name.. the problem is the profit line pencil pushers approach.. since this changes all the time. we can only hope . jmo.

jjmk98k

Husky has a great name now, Lets just hope they keep it that way by producing QUALITY items and not always worried about $$$

Making profit is the name of the game, but so is customer loyalty..

Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

mats

I have been following the Husky/E-lux story in Swedish business papers. As I have understood it Electrolux outdoor equipments (which Husky is  a part of) is the must profitable  part of the Electrolux company altogether. Unfortenuately, the Electrolux stock price does not reflect this at all. Therefore they are afraid that some big risk capital investor company just buy whole E-lux for a bargain and cut it to pieces and sell the outdoor division and the other parts and earn a *lot* of money selling the hidden golden nuggets of the company piece by piece. There have been a lot of business voices saying that the outdoor division business value must be made visible to the stock holders to raise the price of the Electrolux stock to what it is actually should be (according to them). The stock price of Electrolux took a big step up when it was made public that the outdoor equipment was going to be giving out as dividend to the stock holders.

Mats

bassfisher

good case in point could be the famed 'homelite' line of saws, it was brought to its knees by corperate buyouts and raiders to the point where it is now a garbage brand made in mexico and labeled as for 'occasional use only'.  i beleive they started life as independants and then got bought out by textron and trade back and forth.  right now i think they are owned by riobi. or have they been punted yet again?
"Waste not time, for time is the stuff that life is made up of." B.Franklin
Stihl 045AV 034AV--Stihl 026 Husky 65-- XL-76-- Echo 3450  Case 580SE JDeere 440 ICD
Bancroft-the mineral capital of canada & one of the last places that legally allows men to stretch (trapped) beavers without spousal permit

Hoop

The future of Husqvarna depends on the pencil pushers.

I was in a Fleet Farm store last week and saw a Husqvarna lawnmower with a (drum roll please)......Tecumseh engine.

As far as I'm concerned, Husqvarna throw in the towel when they put their name on debris such as Tecumseh.

leweee

Even the brand name"Troybuilt"is being dragged threw the mud by "MTD".
Corperations have no conscience when it comes down to" brand names" & "bottom lines" >:(
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

sawguy21

I unpacked a shipment of saws yesterday. No mention of E-lux anywhere in the manuals, just Husqvarna AB.

StihlDoc

To address the comments on this thread that STIHL is going (or will have to go) public...

This is nonsense and there is nothing on the horizon that would make such a move necessary. The STIHL family and their management board are firm and very savvy business people. I was at a function recently where Mr. Stihl specifically made the point that the company will continue to remain family owned and there are plans in place to ensure this.

beenthere

StihlDoc
Not quite what I heard from my Stihl dealer yesterday. Something about the two kids selling the company, but something about keeping their fingers in the operation. I don't know how that jibes with other comments or what you know, but just what I heard.
But I don't mind passing on 'nonsense' if that is what it is.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

StihlDoc

beenthere,
I just want to squelch rumors that are not based on facts and are only speculation. Not trying to bust others chops.

STIHL is owned by 4 family members, the sons and daughters of Andreas Stihl. They are active in overseeing the management board and have their offices outside the main entrance to the STIHL facilities in Waiblingen, Germany. Even though they are "officially" semi-retired, they are regularly involved in the business and are officers of the company. They have adult children that are also involved in the business.

Thank You Sponsors!