iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Helpful jigs and tools

Started by JoeyLowe, April 01, 2005, 10:16:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeyLowe

Hi guys:

I sure wish I could figure out how to post photos on this forum since it changed servers.  I have many photos to post of my frame and I have some photos of a log cart modification I made (don't know if it's original) that has been real helpful to me.

Regarding the cart, I made the log cart out of an axle and two wheels.  I bolted a wide thick flat platform to the axle.  I'm sure you guys have all seen that done before.  My modification answered the question of how to save my back when moving the cart loaded with a beam and when empty.  If you guys are familiar with a shaving horse, I took the design used on the shaving horse to clamp a board to the horse and made a larger version for my cart.  Imagine if you will 5 boards joined into a rectangle, with the 5th board dividing the rectangle at the lower 1/3 mark.  I made it wider than my cart.  When a beam is loaded on the cart, I slip the "handle" over the end of the beam and then I can rock the handle forward or backwards and it locks to the beam allowing me to pull or push the cart without bending over.  When the cart is empty, the same handle slips over the flat platform and locks into place allowing me to move the cart without bending over.  Since the handle just slips into place, it is easy to use, remove, and add and on top of everything else, it stores flat on top of the cart when not in use.  Send me a message and I will email you a photo if interested.
--
Joey Lowe

"Working towards perfection has to be a part of anything one does.  You've got to put yourself into it." ... Sam Maloof (chairmaker)

beetle

Great idea!

I made my cart out of two wheels, a axle, and two 16" peices of 2" angle iron. The angle irons are set about 10" apart and  run paralell with the timber. I just set one end of the timber down onto this cart, back my JD up to the other end and pick it up with the 3 point and away I go. Just like driving a tractor trailer. Makes handling the 8x10x24 footers a breeze. I back them right in my shop and do what I got to do. The smaller timbers I just pick the whole thing up with the 3 pt that has a fork lift attachment, but the ol'e JD groans a little with the 24 footers and when you have 12' hanging out on each side can get a little tricky moving around.
Too many hobbies...not enough time.

Thank You Sponsors!