iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fixin an older truck

Started by Minnesota_boy, April 01, 2005, 08:59:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minnesota_boy

Today I fixed one of my 4X4 trucks, the one I want to sell.  It had been flooding and I had put a new float valve in last fall, but that didn't help much, so I got a different truck (been wanting one anyway) and parked it for the winter.  Today I checked it out again and found that the new gasket I had put under the float valve seat was leaking so the truck always ran rich.  Luckily I had saved the old one and that sealed up just fine.  One down!

The newer truck is a 1994 Ford f-150 4X4 that has a brake problem.  Oh, I can stop alright, but the front brakes want to drag part of the time.  Not always, sometimes I can drive more than 100 miles and the brakes are cool, but sometimes they drag within a couple of miles.  Not enough to stop you, but enough to make them get real hot.  The truck is under powered to start with, and brakes dragging make the top speed pulling the mill in the range of 45 to 50.  I've replaced the pads (worn out when I got the truck), new calipers, new rotors, new rear brake shoes and drums.  What next?  I tried unplugging the ABS wire from the front controller, but that didn't help either.  Any ideas?
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Quartlow

That only leaves the master cylander and the brake booster and distribution block

Wit only the fronts hanging I would bet on the distribution block if it was me
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

gmmills

Replace those flexible front brake hoses. They can look great on the outside not even show any cracks. The inner liner of the hose can seperate from the outer skin and intermittently restrict the flow of fluid. Had the same problems as you with a neighbors older  Chevy pickup. Thought it had calipers hanging up. Replaced two calipers and brake pads. Bled the system and still had problems with the calipers not releasing. Replace boh flexible hoses and just like magic the problem was solved. These hoses are one of the most overlooked parts when diagnosing brake problems.
Custom sawing full-time since 2000. 
WM LT70D62 Remote with Accuset
Sawing since 1995

wiam

I have what gmmills said happen.

Will

Fla._Deadheader

Yup. My Dad's Chevy had the same thing. On his, the salt had grown under the brackets that hold the hoses, and slowly strangled the rubber lines.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

rebocardo

I would do the hoses and completely flush the brake system. Plus, I would retorque the wheel bearings. If you have those phenloic (sp?) plastic piston calipers, it is possible they have gone bad already. Sometimes they last 5k miles, sometimes 100k. On your year I think the pressure valve is in the master cyl, since a rebuilt is $15, I would go with that if the hoses do not cure the problem.

You can buy pressure testers for the calipers, but, this is probably more money then you would want to spend on a tool for the truck.

Minnesota_boy

I'm going to try the hoses as a possible fix.  The hoses look pretty new, but when I tried to remove the old ones, the clips holding them in were rusted nearly apart.  Not enough to be able to remove, you understand, just enough so you can't get them out.  I'd guess that means the hoses are probably original.

I thought about replacing the master cylinder but the one that fits this truck is $125.  I guess it has to be the hoses. ;D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Thank You Sponsors!