iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bugs in my Pine

Started by beetle, April 01, 2005, 06:49:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beetle

This past winter I picked up a dozen extra 4"x4"x12' white Pine girt stock. The weather was bad so I quickly just got it under my storage shelter, at that time I noticed a few borrer holes in a couple of the peices but did not think much of it at the time. The weather has finally cleared here in Ohio so I went out last weekend to scope out my timbers and noticed these holes have some fresh activity, shavings around the holes, I also noticed a white grub laying on the ground under these 4x4's. What have I got and should I take precautions so they do not affect my other timbers??? Burn them???
Too many hobbies...not enough time.

SwampDonkey

Sounds like sawyer beetle grubs. I had the same thing happen. Even after I sawed the logs I seen some fresh activity. But after awhile they moved on once I stored the wood up in the loft of the barn. Probably a round headed grub? If it's flat headed than it's buprestidae grubs, quite likely. If the lumber is under a shelter with no sides then they will probably keep working your wood and new adults will be laying more eggs as long as the wood isn't real dried out. Them buzzards get into pine real quick it seems. I'm not sure what you'd spray on the timbers, but someone in here knows.

Kiln drying the timbers will fix'm up real short ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beetle

Stored under shelter with open sides, all the other timbers were sprayed last year with a Borate/Boric Acid mix but not sure if it will still be effective after 12 months. I am going to pull those couple of 4x4,s, kiln dry them real fast and hot to make ashes for the wifes garden.

If anyone has any comments if I should do anything to all my other timbers I will appreciate it. They are all finished with tenons etc. ready to raise.

Daren

Will those grubs move to live trees? I have 3 acres of row planted white pines 60' tall I just bought last year. I cut a few to put up a small barn and a little clearing, some I got rid of the logs day they were cut, some layed for a while  (Month or so?) before I sawed and they were full of grubs. The bad thing is there are a few logs I didn't do anything with, they are still laying stacked between the rows. I have kinda worried about that all winter, 'cause it seems like the bugs  jumped on the logs as soon as they were down and still real wet, almost like they still living trees. The grubs I saw were like big white maggots with yellowish heads and a black face (where a face would be I guess)
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

SwampDonkey

They won't go to your live pines unless they have injuries to the bark such as blister rust.

http://www.cfl.scf.rncan.gc.ca/collections-cfl/ficheinsecte_e.asp?id=900

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beetle

Swampdonkey,

All my other timbers in my shelter have been air dried one year, do you think there is a chance the grubs from the new lumber will affect the others??

SwampDonkey

beetle,

I'de keep an eye on'em since there aren't inside a barn with 4 walls. Those Dang sawyer beetle adults are nasty.

Dan_Shade

anyway to wipe out these buggers?

I have a solar kiln, but I sawed out some 2x4s that are too long for it. some of them are pretty chewed up, others are OK.  can I put the pile out and cover it up with black plastic to get the temp up in there?  i'm thinking of venting the top to let the air move.

suggestions?  comments?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Texas Ranger

Wrap them in black plastic, sealed, and let the heat build up kill the beetles.  Boric acid compound will have no effect on them, only on fungus.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Dan_Shade

how long should it take?

i take it put some bleach or borax on there, then wrap it in plastic? 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Jim_Rogers

Dan:
You may get more answers to your questions if you post it in the "Drying section" of the forestry forum.
Good luck,
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

UNCLEBUCK

I had alot of experience killing these little buggers many years ago and I used a chemical called "organiclear" , its a insecticide and fungicide all in one and is clear in color . I used it in a pump garden sprayer and I sprayed pine logs and also stuck the tip of the garden sprayer into the pine beetle holes and flooded it good and sometimes was suprised to see the spray coming out of another hole somewhere down the log . It kills instantly . I did a search on ask jeeves and its still available . I used it alot and believe in it . Even for mold it will clear up pine logs right quickly. No reason to be alarmed but the sooner the better for treatment . I used wet pine posts for a project inside my dad house which is very dry once and many months later had the last survivors fall out and die but one even crawled a ways , that project never got organicleared but the dry air conditions eventually killed the bugs . Those posts were about 6x6 in size and freshly sawed on all 4 sides . If I would have sprayed them with organiclear there wouldnt have been a problem. But I ended up with some beautiful worm holes here and there . Building log cabins I would intentionally leave the bark on for months on stuff like floor joists so I would have worm lines in the wood to add some looks to it when the big logs got peeled. They will bore through big logs just as good as little logs . Burning bark piles really didnt matter after I sprayed this stuff because it just kills instantly . I been out of it for so long but it shows its still on the market . Good luck and dont worry but get after it soon
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Thank You Sponsors!