iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Jeff and Chet visit Menominee Saw

Started by Jeff, April 01, 2005, 08:16:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UNCLEBUCK

Thanks for the tour !   Welcome Peach !  I got no saw trouble yet after switching from a old Disston to a new Simonds but I am sure I will have questions sooner or later especially on the inside collar stuff . Looks like you are needed here by many .
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Sawyerfortyish

Welcome to the forum peach.  I once visited a saw Dr at seneca saw works in NY. So I have an idea of what goes on to get a saw to run just right. I wish you guys were closer. I have two blades out being worked on right now.  Good saw docters are in short supply few and far beetween. Hammering is becomming a " Lost Art" as there are not very many new people learning the trade.

MemphisLogger

Peach,

Ya ever heard of the Graves in MS/TN?

One of my best buddies is inheriting the family trade and hammerin' saws now. He's a fine blacksmith and a good arborist, but truin' saws seems to have got 'hold of him.  :)
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

Ed_K

Hello Peach, glad your with us.
This is got to be the  8) 8) 8) thread. I've alway had an interest in saw doctor'n, guess from being a machinest most of the younger yrs. I like reading the how too's in the northern logger.
Got some more Jeff?
Ed K

Sawyerfortyish

Jeff

:D

Coming soon!  :D I'll try for tomorrow. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ed_K

Peach, whats the largest dia. saw you ever wrestled?
Ed K

Jeff

Peach, maybe someday you'll get this one. ;D It even makes me look small!

here is a link to the story on it. Its only about a 35 minute drive away from me.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=3496.0

asy

CRIKEY!

You wouldn't want to trip over in front of that one!!!

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Jeff

Peach, justunder the picture is a link to another part of the forum that tells the story of the saw. :)

maple flats

Hey Peach, or anyone else
I have a Peterson swing blade and the instructions mention tensioning the blade but I'm not sure what that is, why it's needed, how one knows when it's needed, or how it's done. Help, anyone. ??? ??? ???
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Captain

You know Maple, you should come for some training on your mill sometime.  I'm actually having another Demo day in South Randolph Vermont on May 7th.  That is a little closer to you.

Tensioning the blade is absolutely necessary to keep the blade running straight and true in the cuts.  It actually installs a slight amout of cup in the blade that straightens out when it gets to the right RPM.  Without the proper amount of tension, the blade will not hold a true line in the cut. 

I had an out-of-tension blade on the mill a few weeks ago, and I wished I had thought to take some pictures and post them.  There are a lot of swing blades out there with out of tension blades that the operator does not even realize. 

Another thing, tensioning is absolurely an art form as others have mentioned in this thread.  Folks like Peach are hard to comeby, I know of just a few folks in New England that I would trust to hammer my blades.  ;)

Captain

maple flats

Thanks Peach. My blades I think are 21" or there abouts. I'll need to get the rpm, should be able to calc. eng at 3600 but not sure of gearing right now. The kerf is 5/32 (actually 5.5mm) carbide teeth with 8 teeth on the softwood blade and 6 on hardwood. I'll be down to the mill tomorrow and check out the rpm and verify the other info. ??? 8)  The blades attach to a hub with 4 flush bolts and a center hub but no collars unless you would call the hub which is probably almost 5" in diameter a collar.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

chet

Got da camera back so I took a couple of picks of da Rim Saw dat Peach fixed up fur Jeff.

Jeff, lookin' at da pic it looks like Peach might have cut da arbor hole a wee bit too big.  :D  :D  :D  :D  Just kiddin' Peach  ;D

Dem teeth are just beggin' ta chew on some wood.  :)  Looks really good Peach, can't wait ta try er out.   8)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Jeff

Man, that looks like we better be careful putting it back together. :D  Looks good Peach!

tnlogger

jeff thats one saw i'd like to see run. bet it'll thow some sawdust.
gene

maple flats

Any Peterson owners out there know the RPM of a peterson? I will try to calc if I don't get an ans. ??? 8) ???

Captain

Maple, it is on the blade information sheet (green) that came with your mill. 

Your engine runs at 3600 RPM, and your gearbox is 1.9:1......

Captain

Sawyerfortyish

Jeff just how does that saw mount up ? What kind of arbor does it fit?What kind of cutting was done with it?

Jeff

Here is a thread about the Barker Rim Saw. Bro_Nobles Granddad's company.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=1161.0

I just remembered, I owe this thread some more Menominee saw installments! :)

Sawyerfortyish

Jeff

RMay

Jeff did you get the piece that was broke welded on the rim saw ;D
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

Jeff

Nope, sumpthin even better. It helps ta know the grandson of the manufacture's owner. ;D Noble found me a replacement part.  Roy, Chet and I installed the replacement cable you delivered with the saw the week we went to Menominee. I ended up leaving the saw at Chets. Next time we get together we are going to put a new silicone sleeve on the drive cable.  Corley5 and I are going to an old engine swap meet friday, and I hope to find the perfect engine for it so we can play with it at da pig roast. If not Friday, I think Shop Teacher might have a line on one, not sure if its compatible yet though.

Corley5

8) 8) 8)  Jeff's got something in mind.  I'm on a mission of opportunity and curiosity ;) ;D :)  I'm sure the big is too ;)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!