iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Advertising opportunity. (I'm sure this has been covered)

Started by RacinRex, March 31, 2005, 03:02:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RacinRex

I see many times on here people looking for ways to spread the word about having a mill and about offering a service. I've seen much good advice given and here's my little token to add to this.

Farm Machinery dealers are a great place to drum up business.

I went into a local dealer today (that I didn't even know existed, I found it on the way back to work from the DMV). In my quest for a backhoe and the knowledge to purchase one with out getting taken totally to the cleaners I stop and ask about anyone I see... then act seriously dis-interested. The dealership had a great looking Case 580 4x4 EXT out front. I stopped to inquire and it turns out that the dealer and his wife are former owners of an excavation business. I got to hear the  entire story of why they stopped excavating (she was more long winded than me *gasp*)  :o Whodathunkit. I let her know about a bad experience I've had with a local excavator and the reason I'm looking for a backhoe and that my portable sawmill was the first step because he cheated me on some lumber. Her eyes lit up and she said "you have a portable mill?, there's only one guy I know that has one locally and he's been so backed up people are getting frustrated. Do you saw for hire and do you have business cards?"

Cha-ching. I gave her 20 Cards, my phone number and my price sheet. She assured me that I'd be getting some calls within a week or so as she had many regular customers that she'd love to give my information to that were waiting on some custom sawing.

Moral of the story, I stumbled on it but it really looks like a good way to get your message to a little more of the potential audience. Farm machinery dealer may be a great place to get your name known, and in my experience with the ones around here they are just as friendly and nice as the farmers they cater to.
81 Massey Ferguson 275 W/ loader
Stihl 046
Simplicity Bandmill
04 Dodge 2500 4x4 Quad Cab CTD
A whole shop full of wood working tools
and this is my hobby :)

Coon

Yup, and who woulda thought that you would find some potential customers just by inquiring on a backhoe.  I get that quite often when I start talking to people I don't even know.  Just ends up that they want your number cuz they want some lumber or they know somebody that wants some or some custom cutting done.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

asy

mmmm...   

Gotta love networking....

That's why I always talk to people, at least that's my excuse!

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

ScottAR

Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

asy

Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

RacinRex

Turns out that 580 was a holdover from their excavating days and they kept the newest one they had at the time because they are so versitile and handy. She had a deathgrip on it.
81 Massey Ferguson 275 W/ loader
Stihl 046
Simplicity Bandmill
04 Dodge 2500 4x4 Quad Cab CTD
A whole shop full of wood working tools
and this is my hobby :)

Thank You Sponsors!