iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fluted stickers for sale in Michigan-great price.

Started by oakiemac, March 30, 2005, 04:16:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakiemac

A while back, Paschle posted about DKW hardwoods in Grand Rapids Michigan going out of buisness. Well I called them yesterday and found out they are selling their supply of fluted (breeze) kiln sticks. For all of you not familar with these sticks, they are the ones with a spiral pattern cut into them. They are great for whiter woods like maple, poplar, cherry or any wood that you don't want sticker stain.
I went up to Canada about 2 years ago to buy some and they cost about 45 cents for a 4' stick. DKW is selling them now for 500 for a hundred bucks-that's 20 cents a piece.

Just thought some one else might be interested in this. I'm buying another hundered on Friday.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

oakiemac

I forgot to mention that if you want their number send me PM.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

ElectricAl

Oakiemac,

We bought 4000  48" about 3 years ago. Had them shipped by motor freight. When I add the freight to the price of the stick it was 80 cents each :o

They work great except basswood sawdust sticks in the flutes. Guess I need a sticker deduster :D
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

oakiemac

Yeah I like them alot. The place that has the patent on them is up in Canada not too far from Niagra falls. So I told my bride that I was planning a trip with her to the falls. She thought that was a great idea then I kind of mentioned that we might be stoping on our way home at this sawmill place. She didn't even mind that since we got to spend the week end in Niagra. It was one of those win-win situations in life. Most of the time I get the lose-lose situations. :D

oakiemac

I just picked my stickers up from this place and found out that they are NOT the fluted stickers that I was led to beleive. They are standard flat ones. Still not a bad price, but I was dissappointed. :(

ElectricAl

Oakiemac,

Looks like your "Bride" will be treated to a return trip to the falls :D
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

oakiemac

I'm trying to talk her into a trip up to Alaska. Maybe I could bring my mill with me. There has got to be a few trees in that state.

Minnesota_boy

Yep, take your mill to Alaska.  Prudhoe bay, I think.  The'll let you cut and mill any tree there and not charge you a bit of stumpage they have so many.  ;D :) :)
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

rvrdivr

Quotefluted (breeze) kiln sticks. For all of you not familar with these sticks, they are the ones with a spiral pattern cut into them.
Can anyone send up a picture of one of these? I'd like to see :)
Thanks

Brad_S.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Gilman

I wonder if they've had some patent infringement problems?  ;D
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Don_Lewis

They have had infringement problems and are agressive about defending the patents. They have consistently won and the patents have stood up.

Frank_Pender

Can a fella make his own and not sell them?   Is that an infingement?
Frank Pender

Gabby

FYI- I called Townsend Lumber (Breezedried) For 4' hardwood they want .50 apiece but minimun order is 1000.
Never enuf time

oakiemac

I went there a couple of years ago and got 600 for 45 cents per. They didn't say anything about a minimum but I wished I had gotten 1000.

Frank_Pender

I was just going back over this thread and the site for the fluted stickers.  I think that the next batch I make I will run them to the dimension of 1" x 1" that I use and then set the tablesaw to put a 1/8 saw blade groove down the middle on each side about a 1/4 inch deep.  Any thoughts out there?
Frank Pender

Furby

Don't know anything about it, but would think there would be a lot of movement and splitting in the stickers.
Maybe CAREFULLY raising the blade into the sticker a little ways in from the end and stopping short on the other end would help, but that seems like a lot of work.
Give it a try on a couple layers and let us know what happens. ;)

Brad_S.

I've routed a U shaped channel into stickers by using a power feeder and sending the across the router table. It worked fine but was labor intensive. Was meaning to try it on a shaper but now I have a moulder and plan on getting knives made for it and do the thicknessing and profiling in one pass.
I like the idea of getting rid of as much sticker surface area as I can without compromising the sticker strength. I would think what you propose would work well too.

Larry

I made sticks by cutting a 1/2" dado in 1-1/4" wide sticks.  Sticks were 3/4" thick and they worked good...kept the maple white and stain free.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

TexasTimbers

Here is a way I made some stickers out of an ash log saturday. I don't know how the pictures will come out, I still don't know how to maximize the usage of the upload features on this forum.

Cripes. Life is too short to beat my head against this wall. I guess I'm just a computer moron :D At least on this site ::)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Buzz-sawyer

HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Brad_S.

kevjay,
Getting the photo to the album is the hard part and it looks like you got that far at least!

Is this what you tried to post? Looks like you cut your log to sticker length and then rip it.

Thank You Sponsors!