iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wht do you guys use for stickers?

Started by Doc, March 30, 2005, 03:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirk_Allen

I use to pick up a 4x8 sheet of MD particle board.  Then I would rip it 3 times making 4 eight foot sections, then cross cut 1" at a time.  Last time I did this it came out to about 7 cents a sticker.  No sticker stain but it was to time concuming.

Now I cut my stickers from the species I am sawing.  Since I have so much free spruce I know I wont need it all for my building so I plan on cutting some NICE clean stickers and drying them for future use on everything. 

UNCLEBUCK

I use pvc pipe for steam boxes for bending wood and see no defects in the pvc but under a heavy stack of lumber I dont know how that would turn out .
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Corley5

We use edgings until we run out ;)  I sawed several beech logs into 1X1s for stickers last year.  Sawed the logs into whatever boards, stacked them back on the carriage, ripped 'em and cut them to length with the chainsaw.   
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

stumpy

I was at the local Hardwood mill yesterday, and the guy mentioned he had some used stickers to get rid of. He stacks 6' wide and when the stickers break at the ends, he can't use them. I stack 4' wide so they are perfect for me. I got a bundle about 3' diameter for $25. I'm guessing there are about 250 in it.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

southview

I have gotten a few pallets of southern yellow pine 2x6 44" long from a Chrysler warehouse that was remodeling I was thinking about cutting these into stickers.  Does anyone see a problem using these with maple, oak and walnut?

chet

I myself have not had a problem with pine stickers used with hardwoods.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

GF

I use cottonwood 3/4 x 1 1/4, pretty much give those away and have some for myself.  On my better quality lumber I used KD red oak stickers.  I also use red oak in the kiln.

maple flats

Anyone use hemlock stickers for hardwood, cherry for example. I have some fresh sawn cherry stickerd with the same, when I redo the stack where it will set for the next 2 years should I use hemlock that are 6 months air dried?  ???   8)  ???
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Dan_Shade

have any of you guys had problems with tannin stains from using oak stickers?

so far, i've only used pine and poplar for stickers.  it's depressing how many stickers it takes for a pile of wood, but then again, it nets a big pile of wood!!!
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

rvrdivr

For stickers, I have been using sand pine that came down in the many hurricanes we have had here in Florida last year. It was not a bit sappy, like the long leaf can be, and it dries fast. Almost every log I cut has a defect like a crook or bend or something that leaves a three or four foot peice. I saved these until I have a dozen or so and spend the day cutting 1x1 stickers. I have used these for sticking maple, pine, pecan, oak, cedar, and bay and have not seen any stain problems so far. I have not tried them in a kiln. 

I tried stacking a small load of cedar with pvc pipe once. With it only four foot high and two foot wide, it was very unstable. One bump and the pile wood go for a ride. Also if you cut a pipe in halve you are taking away it's stability and it will flatten easier. Watch your weight load!

Doc, always sticker to the edge of your stack if not past it. This will help control warping rather than checking. A good layer of end sealent on your logs ASAP will help minamize checking. I've been using parafin wax on all but the sappy long leaf pine (which I use nothing) and have had good results.

As FeltzE said, theres plenty of trim around to cut up too.

Have fun!

woodmills1

I gave up on pine stickers as they usually break if they arent from clear wood.  I use hemlock for a majority of my stickers, using them right off the mill the first time them planing them for second use.  Hemlock is white so doesn't cause much stain and it is a very tough wood so they last.  Problem is splinters, they hurt more than others and seem to cause infections.  By the way I make mine 1 1/2 by 1 then plane them to 3/4
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Al_Smith

When I get ready to saw/stack,I just go to one of the local lumber yards and get spacers,used to stack plywood etc[dunnage] for free.It' dry pine,usually 11/2 by 3"by 4 ft.I then rip them with my 12" tablesaw to 3/4" by 3/4".I can make several hundred in short order and they work fine.

Ironwood

Good thread with some great ideas. I use anything I can get my hands on as long it is dry and cheap. It does take a lot of time even with a feeder on my tablesaw. I go through alot of stickers as I squirrel tons of wood away annually. I may try the PVC idea. Thanks REID
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

gary

I have some oak,cherry and poplar that has been cut for about a year. Would I be able to use the poplar
for stickers now? I only want to use them temporally . Until I find a house or build being toren down where I can scrounge some free lumber for stickers.
                       Thanks
                          gary

Ironwood

Gary,

Should work fine. I keep all my stickers dry in covered/ roofed 5' square recycled shipping crates. With one end open I just forklift them over to the work area and grab them as I need them, they stay dry even if I am milling in the rain, right up until I pull'em and lay'em. Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

gary

Reid 
What I have are logs these have not been milled yet. These logs have been cut for about a year.  I want to use the poplar for stickers only temporally. I am waiting to get  some lumber from a house that is going to be torn down. This should happen in the next two months.

Randy

Gary
What I would do being you don't have dry stickers and want to use the poplar is--------I would cut my stickers first then stack them very open------------meaning, start the stack a foot or 2 off the dirt if possible then several inches apart, then turn the next layer across these still leaving several inches between each sticker from side to side, keep building layers, put a little weight and a waterproof top on them and let them dry for as many days as possible before you use them, if you have electricity, probably using a fan to force some air through the stack will help. If you saw your boards the same day leave them stacked on top of each other for 2 or 3 days then air stack them using the stickers-------in my opinion this way would be better than sticker stacking them the time they are cut. What I do is grab a few air dried boards that I sawed a few months ago usually 12 ft then saw then into 1" strips-----------I stack all these strips together with level ends---------I then wrap 3 bungee cords around this stack them measure 4ft(the length I use)-------------I then use the chainsaw to cut through the stack-----------the bungee cord is spaced so when I saw through the stack--------each 4ft section is held together-----------Then I can pick up the whole bundle at the time---------Works for me. Keep in mind I am mainly cutting pine framing material so I don't plane my stickers, but I am VERY careful about looking for stickers that are not cut very close to what they should be. If I was cutting High Grade Boards------if I didn't have any-----I would go buy some dried, Planed boards to cut my stickers out of. Good Luck!! Randy

Thank You Sponsors!