iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

dumb mistake

Started by timberjack240, March 29, 2005, 08:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawguy21

I got sent to town with the boss' tandem flat deck. The brakes seemed to work ok but the buzzer would not shut up and the flag was down. I unplugged the Dang buzzer and proceeded.  I got to the first stop sign and coasted right through the intersection with the pedal firmly planted to the floor. After I got stopped and quit shaking, I could hear an air leak.  The tank drain valve was partially closed and I guess had been blocked with ice.  I had never driven an air equipped vehicle and was not licenced for tandem.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

timberjack240

i thougght of another dumb mistake  i was skddin one day and liek normal i was in a hurry. i was runnin 3rd gear and had the blade lower to the ground than i shoodve. i skid on the trail a hundred times and never once seen the little stump stickin up. the blade caught and i flew into the dash. the headband in my hrad hat flew down over my eyes and my hands got wrapped up in the levers and about busted them. i seen wut i hit and did a walk around. it was ok so i kept goin. i gess its liek they say you learn sumtin new every day   ;D

babylogger

ok ill bite, its only fair lol me and my dad were working alone (my bro had to go somewhere) so i drive and hed cut well imm winching and not realizing i have 2 trees caught under the basket.. and it was tipping me over! finally i heard my dad screaming , oh boy did i catch hell! and on the same day were were on top of the mtn working in between hemlocks and guess what i did? got too close too the tree and winching i wrecked the darned hydraulic (sp) hose!! oh he was impressed with me that day!!! it didnt help that we had to walk 3 miles out of the woods and it cost me 80.00!!! lord ive never heard the end of that and probably never will!!! my head musta been up my a$$ that day because i dont normally do stuff like that! and i wont tell yall about the ledges lol! :D
love logger

timberjack240

dumb mistakes .......
thye make good stories and memories and thats how ya learn  :D  :D

Ernie

19 years ago (how time flies)  when Alf was only 9, we decided that we wanted a lake in our bottom paddock.  We owned an old David Brown Petrol bulldozer with leaky hydraulics that we ran on waste oil.  The reservoir  was under the seat and the supply  and return lines were 1/2" galvanised pipe coming out of the top left hand side of the seat back.  It wasn't a particularly flashy machine but was a lot of fun.  I was happily pushing our heavy clay dirt around when Alf wanted to have a try at it.  Why not, he is my eldest son and why keep all the fun to myself.  Little did I know the consequenses of that decision :(

Alf played around for about an hour and made good progress, grinning from ear to ear all the while :) :) :)

Finally, deciding that Dad needed some fun too, I motioned for Alf to stop.  So far so good.   
Telling him to put it in neutral, I wasn't particularly worried that the throttle was still wide open and climbed up on the left hand track from the back of the machine and stood beside him.  Did I mention that the gear shift was very sloppy?.  I gave the stick a quick wiggle and told him it was my turn.  OOPS, it was in first gear, he lifted his foot off the clutch, I went flying up in the air, feet above my head as the bully took off.  Now I weigh about 230 pounds and came down on the two pipes, snapping them off with my right shoulder tip and was immediately covered in hot, black waste oil.  That was not too bad but I also broke the ball off the top of my arm bone  OUCH :'( :'( :'(

Alf managed to stop the machine and helped his old oil-soaked Dad into the house.  He and Jan gave me a bit of a clean up while waiting for the ambulance; about 3/4 of an hour, we live a fair way out of town.  All I remember is that I love nitrous oxide :)

I was out of action for 8 weeks and still have a rather droopy right shoulder.

The first week that I was out of the sling, I was crewing on a yacht down at the port and broke my back but that is another story.

Ernie

PS:  I'm very very very careful around the mill

A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

timberjack240

ernie
its like my gram says .....
"oh well thatll make ya pay more attention"  :D
thats wat she siad to me

Ernie

My Granny, my Mum and my Wife have all said that to me too, I'd better get my hearing seen to.

Ernie
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Jeff

Quote from: Ernie on April 08, 2005, 03:55:02 PM
My Granny, my Mum and my Wife have all said that to me too, I'd better get my hearing seen to.

Ernie

Ernie, there was this old feller that was really becoming concerned over his wife's hearing. One day while she was watching televison and he was in the Kitchen he decided to test just how bad her hearing had become.  He said "honey, ya want some tea?"  Nothing.  So he took two steps in her direction. "honey, ya want some tea?"  Again, Nothing. The old feller continued this process until he was only about 3 steps behind his wifes chair. He says again, "honey, ya want some tea?". She finally turned around and impatiently hollers, "for the 15th time YES!"
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Rockn H

He says again, "honey, ya want some tea?". She finally turned around and impatiently hollers, "for the 15th time YES!"

Jeff, my wife says to stop talking about me. ;D :D ;D :D

Kevin_H.

Well, This is one of my most scared moments.

I was about a month out of medic class and got a call for a pt with a gunshot. Shooter was unknown.

Now most of the time in these cases, we hold back a couple of blocks and wait until pd gets there to clear the scene, I guess this time we got a little too close ( insert dumb mistake here ) and the wife saw us sitting a couple of blocks away and started screaming for us.

as we pulled up to the house ( without pd ) she said that her husband had been shot and was in the upstairs bedroom when I opened the front door i could smell the gun powder. the house was a split level ranch, one staircase went up and right next to it was the down staircase.

As I walked up the staircase I would look over the railing and think "if I had to jump down i could make that". I would take a couple more steps and re-evaluate my jump. I did this all the way to the top until I got to the bedroom.

I will stop the story there and say that the shooter was not going to be a problem. but I gotta say that has been one of the scariest moments yet.

Hey jeff is this is too much please feel free to remove it.
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Jeff

THis happened just a few miles from us this week and made the frontpage here with just a caption.  I am not aquainted with the company but what ever happened here may fit this topic. :D

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

timberjack240

i pulled a good one yesterday. i drug a tree up to a field and the topp was still attached. so i tryed to bust it off with the blad. theyre was to much holdin it so i grabbed a tree and ran in and go a saw quick ran back out and cut it off. then i pushed the top down a skid trail i THOUGHT i wouldnt need to use. thought being the key word  ;D . i came back and i needed down the trail.  ::) imagine that. so i drove ove it and when i came up over the hill i had to cut the top up to lay it down and get  over it so i wouldnt put andthing threw the radiator. nothin big just wastin my time  :-\ which is nothin unusaul  ;D

UNCLEBUCK

My golden moment was many years ago I drove my bosses brand new 379 peterbilt all chromed out with a brand new stainless spread axle trailer grossing 92,000 pounds full of california vegetables :o through the only mud puddle in a south dakota truck stop and sunk her in up to the running boards . Jumped out and all the other trucks in the truck stop just had to blow their horns and give me the thumbs up . I had to call in and also get a wrecker to pull me out of the only mud puddle in the truck stop .  ;D
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

timberjack240

wow what a mud puddle  :D

johncinquo

Theres just soooo many, how to say just one.

Well since it started with tractors, I'll continue along that line.  My grandad had  a tractor business in the high desert of Southern California.  We dug lots of trenches, and plenty of swimming pools.  We had finished up a pool at a new house that was being built and I was putting the backhoe onto the trailer.  The new house was situated between two existing houses and the squeeze between the houses, driveways, and building materials was a bit tight.  I made a turn and needed to get a different angle to get around and forgot about the stinger out back, swung it right into a port a potty.  It fell over into a new wooden fence, collapsed that and knocked the whole thing into the neighbors back yard, where we had dug the pool 3 months before.  The door flops open and spills the nice blue water and, whatever, all over the new cement patio and into the pool.  Kinda looked like a 14,000 gallon version of tidy bowl!    I can say I did not get to keep my pay check for awhile after that. 
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

timberjack240

once agian .....
wow what a puddle  :D  :D i wouldve hated to clean that up lol  :D

rebocardo

> wow what a mud puddle 

When I worked at a car dealer we had a numb skull truck driver delivering cars hit the only mud puddle in the supermarket parking lot across the street and high centered his car carrier on the street curb. Just could not listen to my directions and cautions. After he tore his truck (sunk into the mud now spinning the tires) and trailer up he finally got a brain and asked for help. It took a huge Hough front end loader to lift the trailer and pull the whole thing free. Would have been quite the tow bill if the dealership had not had one handy for plowing.

skidderman

yea we all have done something stupid once or twice in our lifes,I have laid my 440 skidders on their side twice and rolled a clark 667 400 yards down an 80% mountain side.one heck of a ride'

sawguy21

Every skidderman I have met has rolled one at least once. If he says not, he is either a liar or a newbie :D
A puddle that big in South Dakota is usually referred to as a lake.

timberjack240

my pap has only laid his one over onc in close to 40 yrs i gess that taught him  ;D
he siad my uncle laid the 240 over on every job that he did alot of skidding with it  ;D there were a few places he didnt but a lot that he did. hes not sure how many times he rolled it over. lost count i gess  ;D
my other pap rolled a loaner. there 440c was in the shop and the company gave them a 440d to use while they fixed their mistake and my pap flipped it. luckily they were working close to the sawmill they worked and they got a loader and flipped it back over put some oil in it and sent it back and the dealer dont no to this day  :D  :D bad part bout it was he busted four ribs :o
my goal is to keep the wheels on the ground were they belong  ;D

Motor Devil

Hahaha, one time I was working in a warehouse for a cleaning supplies company.  They had this old forklift and were training me on it.  The neglected to tell me that the brakes didn't work.  Well, I had a 55 gallon drum of floor cleaner on the front and was driving towards the roll up door.  I hit the brakes and the momentum kept me moving.  Yep, crashed it right through the door, spilled the drum of cleaner everywhere!  The boss wasn't mad at all, he knew that old forklift wasn't in the greatest shape.....and it's neglect cost him $1200 to fix the door.  Memories.
Big or small, I take care of them all!

Quartlow

hmm dumb mistakes, I've never hurt an innocent skidder yet  ;D only because I've never been on one  :D :D

I have pulled a few other bonehead moves, worked for a guy hauling topsoil one summer, had to move the loader out of the way to back the truck past it, left the door of the loader hanging open and proceeded to back the truck past the loader, needless to say the mirror didn't clear the door of the loader  ::)

Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

sawguy21

On Friday, one of our mechanics was working on a service truck with fold down step on the side. Forgot to fold up before going through the gate. Oooops.

Thank You Sponsors!