iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I am pretty proud of my but now what do I do?

Started by Robert R, March 29, 2005, 07:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert R

I have this big walnut that has been mocking me and my 16 inch saw.  I have been wanting to cut it down and sell it for quite some time but didn't feel I had the skills or the saw necessary to do the job.  Today, I decided this was it.  It was coming down.  So I took my little saw and managed to get it down without killing myself or splitting the trunk.  The base measured 34" across.  Not big to you all, I'm sure, but it was a monster to me and my little Stihl.  Anyway, now I am not sure how best to cut it up for sale to the mill.  It is only 6 feet to the first fork.  I can get nice diameter 8 to 10 logs out of each of the 3 main branches but I have been told to cut the butts back to where there is no double heart.  Since I am only starting of with a bit over 6 feet, should I leave the double heart for the added length or go ahead and have just a 5 foot or less butt log.  Any input and ideas appreciated.
chaplain robert
little farm/BIG GOD

maple flats

I suggest you get a FF forum member close to you to come make suggestions and then have them saw it on site. They will know what will sell well and then sell the lumber either green or sticker it, cover the top and air dry for even better prices.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

timberjack240

34 in is a pretty nice tree especially where im from. it would have been easier to cut with a good husky   8) just kiddin  ;D you should cut a little piece off the butt and hang it on your wall as a decoratoin  ;D

i was also wondering did you count the rings on the tree to see how old it is
it would be interesting to know ???

Robert R

No, I didn't, but I will tomorrow and let you know.  There is a walnut across the road twice that size and way up there before the first branches but I can't talk the landowner out of it.
chaplain robert
little farm/BIG GOD

Clarke Sawmills

Robert ... Is it a black walnut tree?   Did you know sawdust or shavings from a black walnut tree is poisonous to horses, if for example you used them for bedding.

maple flats

Black walnuts also put out toxins to kill other vegitation. I found this the hard way abour 35 years ago when I planted my garden too close to a couple of black walnuts. They did very well initally but then just as the fruit (tomatoes) were about half grown the toxins caught op with them and the plants all died in the span of about a week or so. I checked with some experts and they told me of these toxins, this is how black walnuts get rid of competition.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

timberjack240

well i have one thing to say

at least it was tomatoes  8) cause i hate tomatoes  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!