iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Silver birch - weeping sap

Started by jph, March 28, 2005, 02:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jph

I pruned a branch (about 3-4" diameter) off a silver birch tree yesterday and the cut is still weeping sap - a drop every few seconds.  I've tried painting the cut but it didn't adhere too well because so wet with sap. Is this something to be worried about?  Any suggestions as to how to stop the sap weeping?

populus

It's spring, so bleeding sap from maples, birches and other species is normal and harmless. It is the height of maple sugar season, so lots of trees are being tapped right now. Native Americans made syrup and sugar from birches as well as maples.  Try tasting the sap - it is usually very slightly sweet.

Any time you prune at this time of year in species with bleeding sap, you will get dripping from the cut.  Broken branches will do the same. Nothing to worry about, and you do not need to paint the wound.

jph

Thanks for  that  Populas, my sister asked me to post the question  so I will be able to tell her no harm done.
I think it great that people on here are so willing to spend time answering questions and sharing their knowledge.
In exchange , here  is  a photo of  our small plantation planted in 1990,oak and ash. We are cutting the hedge between us and the neighbours land, the first time since my late father did it over 20 years ago.

Ron Scott

If you are going to do very much prunning other than a broken limb or so, it is always best to prune in the fall after the trees have "hardened off" with less sap flow and insect/disease activity present.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!