iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Planning for the future on a small woodlot...

Started by Paschale, May 27, 2002, 11:52:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paschale

Hi everyone,

I've been toying with the idea of planting timber on land my father owns in the U.P.  It's roughly 60 acres on the Stonington Peninsula, near Rapid River and from Escanaba, it's across Little Bay De Noc.  I would say about half is already wooded, with a mixture of hardwoods, with some cedar as well.  The rest of the land is clear, since it was the homestead of my great grandfather.  I'm in my early 30s, and a good friend suggested to me that if I were to plant 10-20 acres of timber now, then perhaps those trees will be ready to harvest within 30-35 years, hopefully with a good return on the investment of time and money when I'm ready to retire.

The question is what trees to plant.  Maple and ash already grow on our land.  I've thought about Walnut, but I don't know if they will grow in the U.P. or not.  One problem with the Stonington Peninsula is that the soil isn't incredibly deep, and there is often a problem with blow down.  I've read that Walnuts need deep soil, so I suspect that they wouldn't be a good choice.  I also am ignorant of the time required for different trees to reach the point where it is feasible to harvest them.  Maple seems to be the wisest choice, since apparently the U.P. of Michigan is one of the leading places to find birdseye maple, so maybe this would be a good idea.  And honestly, I don't know which kind of maple is the best choice to plant, i.e. sugar vs. silver.

Any thoughts from those more experienced than me would be greatly appreciated!  Would this be a good and wise thing to do?  And any suggestions on what trees to plant would be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks ahead of time!

Dan M.

Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Corley5

I'd go with red pine especially if you are looking for a harvest in 35 years.  Next year I'm going to plant some here to serve as windbreaks, future timber and to break things up a bit.  I'm only going to plant them four rows wide on some ridges,  ground that is too steep to farm effectively and along the road.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Ron Wenrich

It all depends on what kind of harvest you want.  If you are looking at pulpwood to small sawtimber, then you might be on course.  I'm not in the Midwest, so, I'm not up on species or growth.  35 years just seems like a short time, compared to here in the East.  Down South, they can do a rotation in that amount of time.

Forget silver maple.  It grows best on river banks and has a lower market value.  Hard maple won't get to a very big size in that amount of time.  I have never heard of too many hardwood plantations outside of walnut and hybrid poplar.

You folks do have an aspen market.  That may be an alternative.  There is also a hybrid walnut that has really fast growth.  I ran the possibility past a veneer buyer about veneer sized trees in 25 years.  His response was that no one would buy it, because the growth rings would be too far apart.  Walnut grows best on very good sites.  You're a bit too far north of the range.

Red pine may be a good alternative.  We have guys who buy plantation pine for utility poles.  It is a very good market.  35 years should be about right.

There was a guy around these boards that was looking for tamarack or larch a few years back.  That might also be an alternative.  It's hard to guess at markets that far out.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Ron Scott

For some professional assistance for planting in the Stonington ecosystem contact Upper Peninsula Forestry Extension Agent Bill Cook at:
 6005 J Road
 Escanaba, Mi 49829
 906-786-1575

or Consulting Forester Dean Francis or USFS-Retired Timber Staff Officer George Mclaughlin. George lives, farms, and sells real estate there on the Stonington and very knowledgable of the area.

See the information provided in the Forum Thread Looking for Sawyer in UP of Michigan. These are some excellent resource people for that area of the UP.
~Ron

Tarm

I have three suggestions for you. Red Pine is an excellent choice however I think the goal of producing poles in 35 years is unrealistic. The spec's I have for 32 footers call for a diameter at 6 ft above the ground of 10.4 to 11.3 inches. You could get red pines that big in 35 years with heavy thinning but they would have such large limbs and extreme taper that they would be rejected for poles. Fifty to sixty years are really required to make poles. How about White Pine? It grows fast, and if pruned has a high value. With heavy thinning and early pruning you could grow some nice butt logs in 35 years. Big Tooth Aspen is my third choice. Grows fast, can pe pruned for veneer logs and will make nice pulp. Not as valuable as other hardwoods but is the fastest growing hardwood in the Lake States and is a good wildlife tree. Or maybe mix them up and plant all three. JUST DO IT! Planting trees is as close to immortality as we will ever get in this life.

Ron Scott

Look around the area and check site index for what is growing naturally and go with what's there. In openings large enough for planting a stand, red pine and white pine are best.

That area does grow some nice pine including jack pine on that soil type. Tarm is correct on the length of time to grow red pine for poles, but the sooner you get started the sooner for the first thinning. The poles will come in the second thinning.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!