iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Maple season almost over

Started by maple flats, March 27, 2005, 12:08:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maple flats

Maple started about 2 1/2 - 3 weeks late hrer but from the 10 day weather forcast it looks like it will end today or tomorrow. Translation, a very short season for maple flats. What I finished off already is probably the best in the 3 years I produced some for sale but the quantity looks to be down considerably. On www.mapletrader.com the discussion sounds like mine may be local conditions. Most started late but they got excellent flow rates when it started. Today it is flowing at a rate that may be the best all year but tonight and for the next 10 nites there is no freezing overnight temps in the forcast so it will end either today or tomorrow. It is late enough that the buts will most likely open during these 10 days and that is the end for another year. I hope you other maplers had a better year.
Maple Flats ??? :( :( :'(
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Tom

We think of Maple season a little differently down here.  Can't get any syrup from the little runt trees but they litter the whole countryside with those Red winged seeds.   They've been spewing those things for the past month and I still find some late comers.  If they seed up there like they do down here, y'all shouldn't have any trouble finding Maple trees. :)

SwampDonkey

Red maple and silver maple seed early here too in early summer. But the sugar maple release seed up here in October, that's the seed ya want. ;) :)

Our maple season has been on par I think. One day I saw my cousin haul 3 tank loads of sap and I think the tank is 300 gallons.  ::) Today was exceptionally warm with a south wind. My truck is covered with box elder sap as my driveway buy the front entrance is shaded by one.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Fraxinus

I would not have guessed that you had box elder over there, Swamp Donkey.  I never knew what it was until I went to college.  We sure don't have any up here in the mountains.  No silver maple either.
I would not write off our maple season just yet.  Still plenty of snow on the ground and it has been well below freezing every night.  Sposta rain tomorrow and maybe warmer later in the week.  That might end it.
Grandchildren, Bluegrass music, old tractors, trees and sawmills.  It don't get no better'n that!

Ed_K

Our snow cover is almost gone, if it rain tomrrow like they say it will. the snow will be gone and we'll have mud up to our ears  :D. I hope to get another week, as I've only canned up 1/3 of a regular yr  :(. It did run good the last 3 days tho.
Ed K

UNCLEBUCK

Thats a interesting life for sure , looks like I could really like doing that .  What does a bottle of your maple syrup cost ? Do you ship nationwide ? I am tired of aunt jemima !
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Brad_S.

Unclebuck,
Just two minutes in a sugar shack while they're boiling that stuff will hook you forever! Unbelieveable aroma. And once you use it on your flap jacks, you'll never touch Aunt Jemima agian, even if the real deal is $38 a gallon. :o
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Timber_Framer

The sugar bushers are just getting going up here and we've had some great weatehr for them lately, but as anyone hwo's collected maple sap knows that can end pretty quick. I don't stomp around in the woods but i do haul firewood for two guys when they start cooking and trade split wood for real syrup 8)
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

maple flats

I can only sell in New York State. Something new about registering under homeland security to sell out of state. What has this world come to? To answer your question about cost though I sell quarts in plastic jugs for $11.00 at the sugarhouse, shipping would be extra. And yes , the aroma is terrific when the evaporator is going. Many times quests stop to watch and stay for 2 or 3 hours just watching it boil and enjoying the smell and asking lots of questions, it really facinates them (and me)
As far as this year goes I also have only bottled about 1/3 as much as last year. A new long range forcast makes me think it may run again a day or two if the buds don't open on the sugar maple trees. They do open considerably later in the spring behing the other maples, time will tell.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Corley5

We've had a couple days when it shoulda ran pretty good but it didn't freeze last night and isn't supposed to for a couple more.  It's supposed to get cooler towards the end of the week and should  run a few more days.  It's been an odd season here.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

maple flats

Hold the presses. Still getting some sap run. Rather light flows and not every day but what I have made this season is the best ever in quality. Light grade and best flavor. Might flow tomorrow again. BUT the buds in my yard have started to open (I don't have those tapped) but still holding tight in the woods. This is still a very slow season, unlike most years. I have almost sold out every batch, I'll need to save some for home use before I have to buy (da! , not a good idea)

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ed_K

My season is done, boiled in the last sap last night, saps starting to smell sour. It was a short season, but I got 1/2 of my usual crop.
Sell-sell-sell  8).
Ed K

UNCLEBUCK

maple flats I understand you cant sell out of state but I would send a check anytime for a quart of that maple syrup you made . Maybe put a rust reaper label on my bottle and fool the feds ! I be the first to pour rust reaper on my flap jacks ! Thanks for the reply anyhoo !  smiley_wavy
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

WH_Conley

Sounds like some mighty slippery flap jacks ;D
Bill

RSteiner

Pulled the buckets last weekend, little flow and cloudly sap.  Around here the sugar content of the sap was up a little but the amount of sap was down so things turned out to be just a little below an average year.

I think the quality of what I made this year was better than other years.

I am happy to see the season start but by the time it's over I am just as happy to pull the buckets too. 

Randy
Randy

OLD_ JD

it still running here 8)...but shoud be over by the week-end :'(...prodution is about 75% compare to last year but better quality ;D
canadien forest ranger

Thank You Sponsors!