gotten away. :-X :D

Fla._Deadheader

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

SwampDonkey

It'll be a couple months before I go chasing ice for the coleman cooler. We got acres and acres of it the melt out and flow toward the Bay of Fundy first. :D :D

Tom, it must be one of them moments eh? Rest assured there will be some ice flows off Newfoundland and Labrador, coming down from Greenland, for ya to hook a line onto if ya need some by June. :D :D :D

Battle Harbour, Labrador

Saint Johns Harbor

http://www.coastalsafari.com/ICEBERGS.htm
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

Hmmmmm-m-m

I never tackled one that big before.  Matter of fact, this ice fishing is all new to me.  I keep  hearing about you guys doing it. Jeff's been talking about it lately.  I just thought I'd try it.   

See'in as how these didn't put up too much of a fight, I think I might be able to handle one of those in the link OK.   I've got a Penn 12/0 loaded with 800 yds. of 130# flat-wound dacron on a home-made 54 thread rod  that will take all the strain I can put on it.  If it's bigger than that, then it's bigger than me and I don't want to go swimming with something that's bigger than me. :D

Daren

Nice catch Tom. Don't try to fry the little ones, they aren't fit to eat. Just put them in a glass of Pepsi. Last time I went ice fishing, I lost a pole in my Grampas pond, one much bigger than the ones you took a picture of drug it right through the hole as soon as I turned my back. The only bite I got before I wimped out and went home were it was warm. I bet you have some kind of "super secret bait" to get a full stringer.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Tom

I used an old, tried and true way.   I Cooned them out. :D :D

Minnesota_boy

Tom,
I'm glad you finally got to go ice fishing.  It's too bad you only caught those little ones.  We use bigger than that for bait up here.  Maybe you didn't drive far enough out on the lake.  Take your truck and drive out about 3 miles on the lake and I'll bet you get bigger ones.  ;D :D :D :D 8)
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Tom

Drive on the Lake!!

Are you Nut's?  :D

Kirk_Allen

What wrong Tom, been in the south to long :D  Big Lake, Alaska!  Best ice fishing around.  They actually have a road they plow and maintain on that lake during the winter.  Instead of driving around it to get to the main highway you can just cut across the lake!

Tom

Bet that road leads to Florida. :D

OneWithWood

At least the sign points to Florida.  I think the road peters out before you actually get there  :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Tom

:D :D :D :D :D
I'll bet it connects up to one of those foot trails coming out of Georgia.  Ya just gotta figger out which on. :D

Kirk_Allen

Actually that road simply melts into the Sunrise near the Yukon, BC border

Tom

Those Alaskanites.......Alaskans........Alaskanannies, Alaskians.........Alaskers ..... What the heck do you call them folks from up there anyway? 

I'd be a little worried what with everything either being frozen solid or melting into the west.  Bet you have to do a lot of running back and forth to try and stay on top of it all. :D :D

If you were to fall down, you could find yourself on a fast, slippery slide south and no telling where you might end up. :D

SwampDonkey

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

I got me a big one yesterday! Here I am sitting on it. Couldn't figger how to land it so I let it go. :)

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

Tom

Holy Smoke, Jeff. How'd y'all get that thing outa the house?

Coon

Quote from: Tom on March 26, 2005, 08:45:34 PM
I used an old, tried and true way.   I Cooned them out. :D :D

NOW NOW There.   You never cooned them out.   I wasn't there.  Atleast not that I can remember.    LMAO.  JK.   

Glad to see that someone gets a chance to go out ice fishing.   I have been out once all winter.  Been just too *DanG busy for that fun kinda stuff.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Furby

Holy Smoke, Jeff. How'd y'all get that thing outa the house?

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Tom

You fellows, way up there, in the North, sure lead funny lives.  I never heard of some of the things that you do before. 

Paul_H told me, today, that he was out plowing the snow this morning and had come back in to get some coffee.  That sure puzzled me, see'in as how I didn't know you grew stuff in snow.  Maybe I've had a misperception all these years when I think of you guys being closed in to get away from the snow.  I asked Paul what he was planting and said, "shovels". 

How many shovels to the acre can you raise?  What kind of shovels are they?

I guess its confusing to y'all too, some of the seasons we go through down here.  Pigman was concerned about getting to sawlex because it was heying season.  I didn't know Kaintucky had a heying season.  We have a strong one in Florida and Georgia.  I've heard that Alabama  and Looeezianna have strong ones too.  Ours runs most of the summer and usually begins around March.  It is time consuming and takes a lot of dedication.  I can see how Pigman might get into straights trying to get to a show in May.  We are really getting into the heying down here allong about then and it runs pretty much on through to November.  I wore out a couch last year heying and I'm not even close to the road.  There's some of the fellows that live closer to the road that even get serious joint problems.  You can tell when an area has some sincere heyers because the smell of linimint is real strong along the roadways.  Lots of folks think it is the smell of wild onions, but it's not, it's all that heying.  As the season begins to wear down, the dedicated ones can only lift a finger and waggle it at you as they drive down the dirt roads.

That does my heart good to know that y'all are heying up there too, Pigman. :)

pigman

Tom, you made me go back and check to see if I had spelled a word wrong, I have been known to do that on ocassion.
The word I used was haying.  Haying is slightly different than heying. When I am haying I have been known to do some heying, but it is not a necessary part of haying. If you are not fulled confused now, I will explain it some more.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

SwampDonkey

I wonder if heying has anything to do with "gawk neck" syndrome? You know, when the car roles bye and someone sees you outside doing something and their neck twists around as they roll bye. Sometimes the opposite situation happens and it has a lot to do with the good looks of the subject being gawked at. Not that anyone got gawk kneck looking my way unless their eyes were failing them and had to have a second gawk. Just thought it needed a little explaining.  ;D :D

Paul_H

I thought heying was the same as being on waivers like the athletes on sports teams.I always thought the Dallas Cowgirls were especially good waivers.

Tom,
when the snow gets deep and sloppy the best thing to plant is my butt in front of the computer and see what you're up to now :D
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Chuck White

Quote from: x- on March 27, 2005, 10:03:18 AM
Big Lake, Alaska!  Best ice fishing around.  They actually have a road they plow and maintain on that lake during the winter.  Instead of driving around it to get to the main highway you can just cut across the lake!

Big Lake, a place to get big fish. 
When I was stationed at Elmendorf AFB (Anchorage) I used to fish Big Lake all winter.  Most of the time, my hand powered auger would "just" barely get through the ice, 4 ft thick!
I caught lots of nice fish, but the biggest one I caught was a 25 inch long 18 inch girth Rainbow Trout!  Tight fit coming up that 6 inch hole.

I almost flipped out the first time I saw a road grader out in the middle of the lake and there was a truck behind it and those guys were putting out stop signs and directional signs.  That's when the people with camps there got all of their building supplies brought in.

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Tom

Quote from: pigman on January 07, 2009, 02:57:19 PMThe word I used was haying.  Haying is slightly different than heying.

OH!  Never mind.  :-\

Tim L

Tom the snow is our "cover crop" till we plant memorial day weekend.
Do the best you can and don't look back

Thank You Sponsors!