iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

no dry kilns

Started by hillbilly, March 26, 2005, 08:36:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hillbilly

Ive been looking for some one in our part of the country to dry kiln lumber when I have some that I need to have done and Ive only found a couple.One of them has their own furniture and cabinet shop in the front door ,Ive heard that they have mystery lumber to just dissapear  ::)I wonder where it went ?   
I am thinking of putting in my own little kiln for small amounts 500 to 1000feet max Ill admit Im greener than grass on this sub ject I could use all the advice and info anyone cuold give me ,books to read ANYTHING would help.
             hillbilly

WH_Conley

Where is your part of the country?
Bill

Brad_S.

The Nyle operators manual for an L50 might be worth purchasing whether you're thinking about a Nyle or not. The one I got with my used L200 had more than just what button to push and what to set this or that sensor to. It had good info on how to dry, why to dry and what to watch out for when drying.
The infamous Wood Doc at that other wood site always refers this type of question to some book that I don't recall the name of at the moment. You may want to take a look at  the archives over there.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

hillbilly

Southern Mo about 11/2hrs from ark and about 15mins from the CURRENT RIVER ;D AND about 1 hour from the area that noble lives in .There are several dry kilns but they stay packed full of there own material [flooring plants] so those are usualy out of the question.
                   Thanks Brad Ill try to get a hold nyle for their booklet.
HILLBILLY

Dan_Shade

look into building a solar kiln.  I do all of this stuff with a friend of mine, we split the cost of a lot of stuff other than major equipment (I own the big chainsaw, and the sawmill, etc), but we split the cost of our kiln, we had around maybe $500 in it.

They are slow, but they work.  I'm currently contemplating making a new kiln from wood we saw up, I have a lead on a big locust tree (actually 3 if they haven't burned them up)...  I think I'm going to make the whole thing from that, I figure locust should last a while, especially if painted and whatnot...

the one we have now will just fit a 8'6" board, the one I want to put on my lot will be longer, to facilitate loading long boards.

my kiln pictures are here:  https://forestryforum.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=237
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

hillbilly

Those are some pretty good pics Dan ,what are the black tubs that you have on top of the lumber ,Im thinking that they are weight ? Tell me some more about your dry kiln ventilation ect.
                 thanks HILLBILY

Dan_Shade

I went to walmart and got the cheapest rectangular flower planters I could find, and filled them with concrete, I guess techically you could use cardboard boxes as forms too...

my vents are foundation vents, I got them from lowes, I used an attic vent fan for the fan.  I only used one, it may need two, I really don't know how to tell if I need two or not.

I have the material to put the second roof layer on, I need to do that.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Thank You Sponsors!