iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Many thanks to those that do the right thing

Started by sigidi, March 24, 2005, 07:52:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sigidi

Well I'd dare so most of us know a thing or two about what we do and we try to do it the right way whenever we can???

Well I am just thankfull for the kind soul who understood the concept of hardware being used outdoors needs to be galvanized and did it the right way....

You see the Glavanized nail stood out and caught my eye, so I thought it worthwhile to do a bit of bark trimming...

this one caught my interest...

this one was a bit of a surprise

then came along it's cousin from the city...

now by this time I had the whole extended family, they must have thougth it was pig roast time!!!

not a bad haul for a day of no milling, geese I was happy I spied that first big galvanized one before I stuck the blade into this "iron"bark

Well it does make it a touch hard seeing these things the bark is typically like this...

I'm just so thankful for the folkes who display attention to detail "hardware outside - gotta be galvanised"
Always willing to help - Allan

asy

I love the state of the nails.

Nice straight nails hammerred into soft wood...    :o :o :o

Maybe they left them sticking out coz they just couldn't hammer them in any further!!!

Good catch though.

Where's the photos of the whole log?

Whatcha gonna do with it??

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

tnlogger

now that saved a few points from having to be redone if not the whole blade  :D
gene

Percy

Good eye Sigidi.
I always feel better when I spot them like that as opposed to the "other way" heh. My thoughts on that log would be firewood or if it was an expensive piece, a metal detector. It seems if I find four, there is about six more that I missed or the tree has grown around the nail.  Any yard tree, or driveway tree WILL have nails in them, Ive found. Thankfully I live in an area where there is logs from the "BUSH" available and I still hit the odd bullet, powersaw file/ power saw wrench and Rocks, big ones that either got mashed into the tree when it was felled or (Worst case) hit with a rock from a blast several years ago and the tree has grown around it. Ive learned to be wary of any defect/boil/whatever on the side of a log.

Percy(Freind of blades, any kind ;D)
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

TomFromStLouis

Quote from: sigidi on March 24, 2005, 07:52:33 AM
not a bad haul for a day of no milling,

Wow! One day and you harvested four nails! Whatchya gonna do with them after you straighten them out? You got a buyer? Too bad you gotta get rid of all that wood just for four of them, but some days go by and we don't get a single nail in a whole batch of logs. I am jealous!

:D

rebocardo

lol!

The house I am at has angle iron embedded in four oak trees from clothes lines and in about another six years (about 1.5 inches of growth) these 3x3 angle iron monster chain killers will be completely hidden and I probably will not be around to cut the trees down.

If I pull them out I am sure to open the trees to disease, if I leave them in some urban logger or arborist is going to have a nasty surprise later on whenever the trees come down, be it 10 years or a 100 years from now. Three trees are very healthy, two are 30" DBH and one is 18" DBH. On one tree only the very ends of the angle iron are now visible and the trunk just looks like a big old long knot around the iron.

Should I nail in some more 3x3 galvanized so it sticks out more so people can see it 40 years from now?  :D

What to do, what to do?

sigidi

Well the nails I am shipping by UPS to a fella who bought 'em on Ebay ;)

The log was 6.5m, straigt as a line(a straight line that is), slighty tapered from 375mm, 15" to 275mm, 11" and I pulled out 5 150x38mm, 6"x1.5" they are to be sleepers around the bottom of dog yards, so a bit of sapwood was okay.

I like finding nails this way rather than with the Lucas metal detector, mind you I didn't find anymore - Phew ;D

asy

Quote from: sigidi on March 24, 2005, 04:23:45 PM
Well the nails I am shipping by UPS to a fella who bought 'em on Ebay ;)

I dare ya.

Put them on ebay!!!

Or..  I will...

Lets' see how much ya can get for them!!!  :D

Can you see a sillhouette of anyone famous in them???

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Quartlow

I found an 8 inch crescent wrench in one,  forunatly it was firewood and I misse dit with the saw and the splitter, found it in the ashes
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Furby

Are ya sure it was "in" a log, and that it wasn't your good wrench that you can't seem to find after doin' a little fixin' ???

iain

Rebocardo get your name and date, along with the fact you saw wood on them bits of angle, any future sawyer would love to know who to cuss, :D
but i think that in a hundred years we'll have blades that will cut anything 8)

iain

sigidi

Well I've been a long time gettin these pictures developed, so I hope no-one was holding there breath!!!!

This is the cutting of the 'iron'bark, thankfully I didn't detect anymore nails with the Lucas metal detector ;D

FeltzE

Nails, ceramic insulator, Rail Road Spike (the blade cut straight through!) more nails, bullets, 1inch strap metal, and the list goes on....

UGH!!! the worst is those nails made to hammer into concrete. They will tear the teeth straight off the blade! (personnally tested)

Eric  >:(

Coon

Yup, I know how you guys feel about hitting junk in logs.  But has anyone found an old gun imbedded into the tree?  I found an old 30-30  in the crotch of a big old white spruce.  The wood had grown all around the whole gun and was interesting to say the least.  How I found it was when I fell the tree I thought that I saw a few sparks but wasn't quite so sure.  What had happened was I hit the steel butt plate of the gun.  Actually I justed grazed the saw chain against it .  Found it when I went to square off the butt end of the log, and just left it in there until I had the log out in the landing.  I took the axe and began chopping and shaving to see what it was and heck I recognized right away what it was  cuz I had an old 30-30 with a steel but plate at the time.  After about 3 hours of wittling I had gotten it out.  Even still had live shells in it.   The stock is made of walnut as far as I can tell and is in reasonable condition.  Got the thing all cleaned up and tried it out last fall during deer season.   Worked great.   
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Buzz-sawyer

I wonder why the barrel didnt rust out while the tree was growin around it???
You sure thats not  a coon story (similair to a fish story) ;) ;) :D :D :D
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Coon

Nope no coon story here.  Plain ol' truth.  The barrel was very rusted (about 1/8 inch thick all the way around) but for the most part cleaned up nicely with some work.   It is fairly pitted also.  Wouldn't use the gun very much at all.  In fact I have only used it the once and fired one shot.  It is now a show piece in my taxidermy/sporting room. 

sigidi

Well then post us a pic of it - geese you been around long enough to know WE LIKE PICS!!!! ;) :D ;D

Buzz-sawyer

Well then
That is officially the coolest find to date 8) 8) 8)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

tnlogger

well now that is a find coon :) but as they a prone ta say around hear the proof is not in the pudding but in that there picture. ;D
gene

Bibbyman

One of my uncles by marriage came from Licking, Mo area where they had ran sawmills for many years.  One of my cousins told that at one time they had Civil War cannon balls resting on the tops of the fence posts leading up to their mill.  All found in logs. :o
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

rebocardo

> found it in the ashes

The best way to find them unless you have a gun in the log like COON :-D

Coon

The pics will have to wait until the weekend. Cuz I don't have a digital cam (Or atleast one that works).  My bro in law will be here on the weekend and he's going to bring his so that I can take a whole pile of pics for you guys on this site, this way I can show you my whole set up.

Thank You Sponsors!