iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

HAPPY EASTER ...that means FOOD! What y'all eatin' in your neck of the woods?

Started by Paschale, March 23, 2005, 05:07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paschale

You gotta love holidays and family get togethers, if for no other reason than the FOOD!   8)  We're doing the obligatory ham--my sis-in-law's doing most of the cooking, so I'm not sure what's on the menu.  I'm in charge of dessert, and  I'm bringing a blueberry pie from blueberries I froze last summer, along with a blueberry cheesecake.  I'm making a pear/cherry pie too, plus a couple of tubs of home made vanilla bean ice cream (with cooked eggs)! ;)

What traditions do you all have for Easter, and what's going to be on the menu? 

Happy Easter! 
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

jjmk98k

somehow, this room always comes back to food!

not that I am complaing....i like to see how other folks fix thier meals...

around here it's the usual ham, sweet potatos, asparagus... the usual
Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

Fla._Deadheader

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Grawulf

Harold,    You feelin' a little under the weather?  Probably a good thing you're down there and not up here in Ohio............ Weather stinks today - freezin' rain. Hope you get to feeling better soon. I think our house is going to have some turkey this Easter. Too bad it can't be a wild one - our season doesn't come in until next week. Everybody have a blessed one!

Ed_K

Ed K

LIL

Not sure about the food situation but being a good catholic it will be white meat on Good Friday ;D

Then on Saturday Ian and I are off to R.E.M.  Im really excited because this will be my FIRST EVER REAL CONCERT :) :) :)  And I can't wait!!!!

Bring on the chocolate - can't beat Cadbury's Diary Milk - has to be one of the best chocolates in the world im sure - or just diary milk of any kind - im not fussy! smiley happysmiley

HAPPY EASTER GUYS WHEREVER YOU MAY BE ON THIS GREAT EARTH OF OURS!!!
ps my Easter Holidays officially started 2 hours or so ago  ;)
Hobbies and Interests  

Interests revolve around my partners love of sawmills! - Hence being his NUMBER ONE OFFLOADER - Myself - I like the smell of sawdust. If I had my choice I would have BIG MACHINERY - who wouldn't want their own combine harvester and an 18 wheeler (Scania)

DanG

"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Sprucegum

Since the kids all grew up and left home the missus turns into a SUPER-CHEF evry time they come back. We're having turkey one day, ham the next, and something in the slow cooker after that: all washed down with a couple gallons of my other hobby ;)

tnlogger

now DanG we know better then that  ;D boiled aigs GRITS back bone , and collord greans  at least .
as far as pat and I  baked ham, sweet taters with all the fixings, including tater pie 8) 8)
gene

chisel

thecfarm

A Sprial Ham,mashed potatoes,veggies,pies.The Sprial ham is all thinly sliced,still on the bone,comes with a glazed.All you have to do is heat it up.Will have to have the Easter egg hunt indoor this year.First time in 5 years,since we lived here,the grandkids will have to stay inside.We still have snow on the ground.Won't be a dinner like Christmas or Thanksgiving.Wife loves to cook,but the greenhouse is keeping her busy now.LOTS of planting to do.

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Norm

I'm thinking of inviting one of those canadians that are on the pond in for dinner. If that doesn't work then I'll get out some prime rib. Youngest son called and hem and hawed around asking what we were doing, finally said well if you're not doing anything I thought Ann and I could come over for dinner. First time he's ever brought a girl over for a formal dinner, must be serious about this one. ;D

Paschale

Quote from: Norm_F. on March 24, 2005, 06:57:12 AM
I'm thinking of inviting one of those canadians that are on the pond in for dinner.

That made me laugh.   :D :D :D
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Timber_Framer

Roast saddle of venison with cremini cabernet and bourbon sauce
Rutabaga mouse 
Steamed asparagus with hollandaise
Apple and sun dried cherry upside-down cake with apricot glaze

Nothin special ;D
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

submarinesailor

Roxie

Quote from: Norm_F. on March 24, 2005, 06:57:12 AM
I'm thinking of inviting one of those canadians that are on the pond in for dinner. If that doesn't work then I'll get out some prime rib. Youngest son called and hem and hawed around asking what we were doing, finally said well if you're not doing anything I thought Ann and I could come over for dinner. First time he's ever brought a girl over for a formal dinner, must be serious about this one. ;D

Ut oh!   :)
Say when

Fla._Deadheader

Teri is wantin to build a pot full of Chiken and dumplins. Anybody got a good recipe ??? ;D ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Roxie

Do you like the puffy drop dumplings or the denser rolled dumplings? 
Say when

Fla._Deadheader

Roxie, shoot 'em both this way and she can sort 'em out herself. ::) ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

firedog

Quote from: Timber_Framer on March 24, 2005, 10:34:35 AM
Roast saddle of venison with cremini cabernet and bourbon sauce
Rutabaga mouse 
Steamed asparagus with hollandaise
Apple and sun dried cherry upside-down cake with apricot glaze

Nothin special ;D

Now that sounds good!!

I am working on Easter but I think we are planning on having Spiral Ham at the station.

Roxie

FD....Here goes:  Chicken & Dumplings
Ingredients:
Large roasting chicken good fat content
2 stalks of celery chopped to 1 inch pieces
1 medium onion quarterd
6 medium potatoes peeled and quartered
A small bag of flour
a bit of sage
salt and pepper

Put the chicken in a large pan with enough water to cover bird
Add the celery and onion, some sage and salt and pepper
Boil on a medium boil for about 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours until chicken is
just about to fall off bone, if it falls off, no problem
Remove all chicken pieces from water reserving the liquid
Remove about four cups of broth and set aside
Add potatoes to boiling reserved broth and cook for 15 to 20 minutes
Debone chicken and place meat aside
In a bowl, dump in about 4 cups of flour and add chicken broth mixing with hands until dough like consistency (it will be sticky feeling)
Return chicken to the broth and potatoes keeping the water at a medium boil
For dense dumplings:
On well floured surface roll out dumpling dough to about 1/4 inch thickness and using a floured knife cut strips about 2 inches wide and 2 inches long and drop into broth.  When dumplings float to the top it is ready.  If gravy appears thin, in small pan melt 2 tbsps of butter and add 1/3 cup flour and mix till blended add a cup of the broth and stir until thick and add to the boiling pot of chicken and dumplings and simmer for a minute or so more.
For puffy dumplings:
Prepare as above, but do not roll dough.  Pinch off generous tablespoon size blobs and drop into boiling broth.  Cover the pot and boil at medium for 12 minutes without lifting the lid.

Some folks like to add peas or carrots to their chicken and dumplings and that can be done if you add carrots when the potatoes go in and peas just before the dumplings are added.  If you like a Pot Pie type meal, make a crust using the dumpling receipe and place chicken and dumplings in a roasting pan, cover with the crust and bake at 350 for about 45 minutes. 

Say when

asy

Hmmmm  That sounds great Roxie!

Except for the celery..  Never could understand how people could eat celery..  Or brussel sprouts...

Now, Here's the "excuse me I'm an aussie" questions:

What's a spiral ham?

What are collared greens?

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Roxie

Please forgive me, but I have to tell a story about my Grandma who taught me to make those Chicken and Dumplings. 
We called her Nanny.  She was way ahead of her time in standing up for herself and we ADORED her! 
Each one of us had our favorite part of the Chicken and Dumplings, I loved the dumplings best, by brother ate mostly potatoe's, my Dad would fight ya for the crust and my niece, Beth, liked the chicken.  We sat down one holiday dinner for Nanny's Chicken and Dumplings, and I got my plate of mostly dumplings, my brother heaped on the potatoe's, Dad got a big hunk of crust with his and then my niece, Beth, was sort of shifting through the roasting pan, and she said, "Nanny, where is the chicken?"  We all stopped eating and looked at Nanny cause we didn't have any chicken on our plates either.  Nanny turned to Dad and started to laugh and said, "I'll bet I forgot to put the plate of chicken back in the potpie."  My (18 year old) Niece, Beth, said, "For pete's sake Nanny!  How can ya make Chicken and Dumplings without the chicken?"  Nanny said, "Shut up Beth, you better hope that when your 80 years old, the chicken is all that you'll forget."   :D
Say when

asy

AHHAHAHAHAHAHHA

Good one Roxie...

Must say though...  I gotta wonder about you, your brother and ya dad...  The three of you ferretted around in the pot and none of you noticed the missing CHICKEN!!!

How small are yer chickens over that side of the pond?

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Thank You Sponsors!