iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How do you know if the carb is adjusted too lean?

Started by outdoortype, March 21, 2005, 10:21:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

outdoortype

I've read a few horror stories about engines getting toasted because of lean adjusted carbs & now I'm a little paranoid.  Are there any symptoms or telltale signs to indicate a too lean fuel air mixture?  My Husky has had about 5 tanks through it and seems to start, idle, & accellerate great.  My Stihl 025 was well used when I got it & seems to run well also.   Usually, I'm the type that says if it ain't broke, don't fix it .

jjmk98k

I am sure someone here will give you some sound advice!

After my Husqvarna 350 had about 7 tanks through it i took it to the dealer and had them do the run and tune on it. They got all the gadgets and the well tuned ears to set the carb up right.

Unless you have a tach and know what to do, why risk messing it up?

just my .02  :)

Best of luck and we'll see ya around more   ;D
Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

Ianab

If a saw is running too lean it will rev hi but have little power, and get hot. Getting hot along with less lube is generally a bad thing. Think siezed pistons and chewed out bearings  :( Running too rich will usually smoke and lack power, it will foul up spark plugs and smoke you out, but it shouldn't kill the saw.  ::) If it's running well and sounds like it allways has go with the "it's not broken... " theory. If it doesn't seem right, stop using it and check / adjust it ( or get the shop to ). Dont keep using it for the day cos that little piece of crud in the carb making it run lean will kill the saw for ya .

Like jjmk says you should get the saw checked after maybe 10 tanks of gas, I think they are often set a little too rich from the factory, and should be tuned properly once they are run in.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

jjmk98k

Ianab, what the heck is Marmite?  Is that something like Vegemite?

I been wanting to ask for a while, but hopeing someone else would... ::)
Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

jokers

Over revving out of the cut but if the saw falls down part way through the cut, it`s also a good indicator of leaness or overheating from another cause.

Russ

Thank You Sponsors!