iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

361 Hard to Start

Started by Ga_Boy, March 21, 2005, 12:34:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ga_Boy

Back in late December I bought a new 361.  It has always taken 15 or so pulls to get that thing started, last week I was loading some logs and needed to do a little triming;  l got it started did my cuts and set the saw to the side.  A few minutes later (10-15) I need to cut up some limbs the tree guys left me.

I could not get the saw started.  After about 5 minutes or so it finally came to life and I finished up and went home.   Strong smell of gas while I was pulling on that thing.

This saw has alwasy been hard to start, at first I wrote it off as a new saw, but my 028 starts on 2 maby 3 pulls on a hard to start day.  This 361 is nothting like my 028; I love the power and how well it cuts, but I got to get the thing running before I can cut anything.

Any ideas?

Mark
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Lobo

Not normal on any saw, take it back under warranty, have them fix it.

jokers

We could offer alot of troubleshooting advice here but considering how new the saw is, I say bring it back to the dealer.

Russ

fishhuntcutwood

I've got a 361, and it's never been anything but a pleasure to start.  I'd agree with taking it back, and if you're smelling gas, and you aren't flooding it, then something's wrong somewhere, and if your 028 starts well,  you know how to start a saw without flooding it.

My first post here gents, I look forward to adding here where I can. 

Jokers, good to see you're still out in the world posting.  I missed you when you left, and am glad to be back reading your posts.  Nice site y'all got here.

Take care all,
Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

jokers

Quote from: fishhuntcutwood on March 23, 2005, 02:23:26 PM
Jokers, good to see you're still out in the world posting.  I missed you when you left, and am glad to be back reading your posts.  Nice site y'all got here.

Take care all,
Jeff

Jeff, that was an awful nice thing of you to say and thank You, but now the pressure is on so that I don`t disappoint in the future! ;D

Welcome to Forestry Forum.

Russ

fishhuntcutwood

Thanks for the Welcome Russ.  I meant what I said though, so worry not about any pressure.  You know what you're talking about, and we'll listen.

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

firedog

I have to agree with the others take it back in. I have a new 361 I bought a few weeks ago and it starts real easy. A couple pulls either warm or cold. Good luck.

dozerdan

Hi
Yes, Stihl did have a hard starting problem with the first 361s that they sold. Take it back to your dealer, if he cant find anything, have him contact his Rep. They are aware of the problem.
Later
Dan
Danny Henry
Central Pa.
Home of the Original Power Ported Saws
570 658 6232
dozerdan@sunlink.net or
dozerdan@nmax.net

stihltech

Guess what the last saw I worked on today was? 361 hard start.
Found bar oil in the fuel tank, but it had not gotten into the carb, so I do not think that was his problem.
What I did find, the limiter caps were never fully installed. Could not adjust carburetot at all. Gave the carb a good cleaning, adjusted the limiter caps (Dan knows what I mean).
Saw started in 3 pulls from dry.
I ALWAYS set the inlet lever correctly. The INLET LEVER HEIGHT is very important. Make sure the INLET LEVER is set correctly
Any questions? ???

Lobo

A Stihl saw made in VIRGINIA BEACH !   :(

West Texas

I agree take it back to the dealer.  My most crazy experience was a new 260 that would not start, etc. same as yours.   Smelled gas.   Took out the carb and low and behold one of the shut off wires had got between the carb and cylingder.   Re routed the little yellow wire back over to the left, put the carb back in and it started on the second pull and no smell of gas.

Go figure!  Guess it just got assembled in a hurry and was never checked later??
026,260,361,Partner F55, 029 Project saw

SawTroll

Quote from: Lobo on March 26, 2005, 07:46:46 PM
A Stihl saw made in VIRGINIA BEACH !   :(
This was discussed some time ago on another forum, with the following conclusion - based on IPL and stickers on saws:

Ms361 for USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand are assambled at Virginia Beach, from parts made in Germany and USA.

361's for Europe and other markets are made in Germany.

The few part numbers that are different is the cylinders, pistons and mufflers.

The conclusion could of cause be wrong, but until convinced otherwise I believe it is correct.

The slightly lower power output stated for the US saws is probably related to the muffler only, as this is the only part of the saws that are unique for USA only.

My 361 is not hard to start.
Information collector.

StihlDoc

The MS 361 with the U.S. version muffler has a spark arresstor screen to meet USDA Forest Service requirements. The U.S. version cylinder also has slightly different combustion chamber and porting spec's to meet EPA and CEPA regulations. The STIHL factory in Virginia Beach employs over 1,000 people and produces the largest volume of products in the STIHL group. Most STIHL products sold in the U.S. are manufactured in Virginia and also exported to other countries worldwide. The STIHL chain saw models currently manufactured in Virginia Beach are:

009 L
MS 170
MS 180
MS 192 T
MS 210
MS 250
MS 260
MS 270
MS 280
MS 290
MS 310
MS 361
MS 390

maple flats

I've got a Mac super 250 that starts in 25-50 pulls every time, suppose it's still under warranty, bought it in about 1975 or so? Unfortunately I don't think they are in business any more.   8) 8)
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

SawTroll

I must admit that there is one feature of the MS361 that I have never liked;
- The combination on/off and choke switch >:(.
I don't like that you have to depress the throttle lock and throttle to put it in either start posision, and it feels unnatural to pull it upwards to stop the motor.

Now I am a bit more happy with it, after I read that, contrary to what the user manual says, you don't have to put it on "high idle" to start the saw when warm. Normal running posision is enough, which makes it less of a hassle.

It works! :)
Thank you, stihltech ;D
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!