iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another dumb pinoak question from the newbie

Started by Robert R, March 20, 2005, 09:10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert R

You guys are so patient with those of us just starting out--Thank you.

I need to rebuild my flat bed wagon I pull with the horses.  I use it mostly for collecting firewood and getting hay out of the field.  If I cut pinoak boards to do it with and I use them green, can I paint it to protect the wood or do I need to keep it in a shed until it is dry before painting.  Right now, it has such dry rot in the wood that it is pretty scary to ride in so I need to rebuild before hay season hits me--hence, no time to dry lumber.  If dry lumber is absolutely necessary, I suppose I can buy it.  This is a purely functional piece of equipment--pretty to me means in working order, if that effects the answer.
chaplain robert
little farm/BIG GOD

Brad_S.

RR,
First, what I know. Pin oak is a red oak and will not hold up to the elements as well as a white oak. The open pore structure will allow any moisture that gets through the paint to get deep into the wood and start rotting it. You'd be better off using white if you can get it, as it has a closed pore that will block moisture more effectively.

Now, just an educated guess. I would think the paint would have trouble getting a good grab on wet wood. Again, just a guess.

Lastly, there is no such thing as a dumb question. We all had to start somewhere.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

DanG

That ain't no dumb question.  There's probably other folks wondering the same thing, but didn't bother to ask.  Brad answered the question well, but I just want to yak, so I'll go further. ;D  Why not just keep the wagon under a shed, then not worry about what kind of wood is on it?  If that isn't practical, most woods will last a while in the weather, as long as they don't stay wet all the time.  If this wagon has wood-spoke wheels, you probably should worry about that more than the body.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Robert R

It is on rubber tires.  The wagon is made out of a grain box running gears.  I have always left it outside simply because it was pretty well shot when I bought it.  I managed to pick it up for less than I see the running gears bring at auctions but now has gotten so bad you have to be real, real careful where you step on it.  But I could make a spot inside for it and probably should if for no other reason than to protect the wooden tongue.  And I can get out of painting it that way too.   :)  Thanks for the input.
chaplain robert
little farm/BIG GOD

Roxie

I don't know the specific's about the wood, but our wagons get 'painted' with used motor oil.  It does the job of protecting the wood and it isn't as unattractive as you might think.  It soaks in pretty good.  You can get used motor oil from any car repair shop, then grab a broom and have at it.   :)
Say when

MemphisLogger

Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

Jason_WI

If you have white ash that will work also. We have wagons that are about 10 years old made of white ash and they are solid yet. If you build them green wait till the end of summer to paint.

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

Minnesota_boy

When you build them out of green wood, every day it isn't raining (at least at the start) they are drying.  If it rains for a day, it will take only a few hours to dry out the rainwater and restart the drying process.  After you have had a lot of drying days and the wood has gotten pretty dry on the top side, then put something water repellant on them.  It may take more than one year to dry them fully.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

KILROY

Robert,
Paint does not penetrate wood very well. If you want a color use a stain. If you use motor oil, mix it with diesel. The combination will penetrate better.   

Thank You Sponsors!